You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The let's be positive thread

Stickman

In all seriousness, we are 2 pts behind the Mancs after what can only be described as a disastrous start to the season. Arsenal aren't doing too well either, they are just 3 pts ahead (if they lose tomorrow, which I think they will).

Hopefully Southampton will do like WBA and other teams that have started brightly, tail off. They have City, Arsenal and Utd in 3 of their next 4, so we'll see what they are made of then I guess. 5 goals conceded in 11 games seems to indicate that they're not going away easily...

I think with us, it comes down to two things if we're to finish in the top four:

1. We need Sturridge to stay fit for the remainder of the season..., if he does I'm still fairly comfortable we'll get 4th.

2. Brendan needs to be dropping the underperformers. He's been made to look a right fool to trust the players that didn't take part in Madrid.

Southampton won't drop off, they sold us their shite and improved their team. We are forced to play said shite because of the inflated fees we paid. Same thing Newcastle did to us in 11/12 when we finished below them.

In no circumstances can Lallana be bracketed under "their shite" he was their captain and won player of the year for Southampton last season.

A midfield of Can, Hendo, Sterling, Coutinho, and Lallana might not help improve our defensive woes but I reckon if they get enough game time together and we actually get Sturridge fit enough for a decent run in the team we'll do alright. It might be too late by the time it clicks though and Rodgers might not even play that team regular.

In all seriousness, we are 2 pts behind the Mancs after what can only be described as a disastrous start to the season. Arsenal aren't doing too well either, they are just 3 pts ahead (if they lose tomorrow, which I think they will).

Hopefully Southampton will do like WBA and other teams that have started brightly, tail off. They have City, Arsenal and Utd in 3 of their next 4, so we'll see what they are made of then I guess. 5 goals conceded in 11 games seems to indicate that they're not going away easily...

I think with us, it comes down to two things if we're to finish in the top four:

1. We need Sturridge to stay fit for the remainder of the season..., if he does I'm still fairly comfortable we'll get 4th.

2. Brendan needs to be dropping the underperformers. He's been made to look a right fool to trust the players that didn't take part in Madrid.

So for all the crisis talks, we're 2 pts behind the Mancs, 3 behind Arsenal, and level with Everton and Spurs. With us having played nearly all our games without the 2 strikers that brought us 2nd place last year, I'd say we're still in with a great chance of finishing in the top 4.

Edit. Should have read the whole thread, was too concerned with gloating over my prediction from yesterday...

Right, we've had a bad start but that's gone now. International break has come at a good time. Rodgers to have a good think and clear his head, players to have a break (at least from the Prem) and then when the action resumes hopefully Sturridge will be back. 

We have been awful but we are a lot better than we've been showing. I think we will go on a good run and get back into the thick of it sooner rather than later. By that I mean top four contention. Two wins in the CL sends us through to the knockout stages too. 

I think this is the worst of it this season. Onwards and upwards now. Believe. 

• Upvote 1

Funny to think this thread was started after Lovren's goal gave Southampton three points at Anfield over a year ago. He hasn't exactly added to the positives for us in the interim.

Depressing to think that the main positive back then was the return of Suarez from suspension.

1. Anyway, in the spirit of the thread, Sturridge's return will be a considerable boost.

2. The teams that we would have seen as our main rivals for a top four spot are playing almost as diabolically as we are. Somehow, we're not as far off the pace as we should be.

3. Emre Can looks a proper midfielder with a bit of everything about him.