You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Swansea away match thread

fowler9

I think Sakho had a much better second half compared to his first, but unfortunately the one time he did get sold was the equaliser, when be shouldn't have followed Bony out. But equally he made a fabulous last ditch tackle in the last ten minutes when he stopped Michu bearing down on goal.

Once he's settled I think he's going to be a great player.

What gets me is that when we were totally outplaying City and United at the start of last season, but not getting the points, it was all 'performances don't matter, points do'. Fine. Now performances seem to matter a whole lot more. I mean, just what are people expecting?

Perhaps it's not the same people? Except Drone72 that is.

A little deflated after that second half performance. A point away at Swansea is hardly a disaster but we just seemed to be chasing shadows in that last half hour and barely seemed to be able to string 2 passes together. Sakho had a few iffy moments but I actually thought he did okay for his debut overall and the main problem in the second half seemed to be the midfield. Coutinho going off was a blow, especially as Aspas seemed to have absolutely no impact on the game at all and we might as well have been playing with 10 men. Moses was really impressive in the first half and could be a great asset for us this season but he did fade badly in the second half.

Not a great night but can't grumble at 10 points from 4 games and being top of the league.

• Upvote 1

Still worth enduring that game for Carra's abuse of Gary Neville before hand.

"Full backs are failed centre halves or wingers"

"No kid grows up wanting to be Gary Neville"

Superb.

Haha! Credit to Neville Neville - he took it pretty well. I was half-expecting a fistfight. Did you notice how them sky cunts cut to the ads pretty sharpish after Carra's remarks above? I was also pissed they didn't show Brendan's interview, the wankers.

As for the game - we've only got ourselves to blame. Jonjo's gifts notwithstanding, Sakho was nervous and too eager to impress and as Carra pointed out, he started the mayhem in defence when he came forward for their equaliser. I can't blame Skrtle really, as if it wasn't for him, we'd probably lost that game. Not impressed with Wisdom either.

What I'd like to know is how serious the injury to Coutinho is? I hope it isn't serious, because our creativity will have to come from Lucas if he is out.

Impressed with Moses as well - he was exactly what I expected him to be - perfectly suited for a game like this. Well done Brendan for starting him. He was also pleased, I think.

They say hindsight is 20/20, so after watching the game, I think playing Sakho was a mistake - our defence was too unsettled with these 2 new changes.

I am not sure I can believe what was said about Agger being "injured". I would have played Kolo instead of Wisdom and would have left Agger & Skrtle as the CB pairing.

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention - that Williams is a proper yard dog, the fucking wanker.

I would absolutely love stamping on his head.

The guy has proper delusions of grandeur. He fucks stomps around the pitch as if he's some worldbeater when really he's just alehouse, shitehouse, brickhouse mediocre. The hilarity of him trying to square up with Stevie, smalltime cunt.

I don't think I felt like I did during Sakho's debut since Grobbelaar played his first game. It was 'Wow!' followed by 'Shit!' followed by 'Oh god no!' followed by 'What the FECK?!' over  and over again.  Hopefully he'll calm down as Bruce did. Sort of. 

Gerrard, sadly, chose his 400th game as captain to  show he's really not a great captain. We desperately needed someone to put his foot on the ball, dictate the pace and organise the team. He disappeared for  much of the second half. He wasn't even available  for a pass at times. A wonderful player but he's not a leader unless he happens to be on top form himself and leading by example.

I was sad for Wisdom - everything this season - both for LFC and England - has been focussed on him acquiring the discipline to play at CB, and then he gets bunged on at RB and he seemed painfully disoriented at times. Hopefully the fans will lay off and leave him to develop in the ressies or on loan.

Mignolet - great  shot stopper, but learn to bowl the ball out instead of booting the ball aimlessly forward.

Moses - promising, hope he gets fit soon.

Overall a valuable point, but maybe they're training TOO hard - they seem heavy-legged after an hour every match.

Oh yes, and Williams is a  nasty little guttersnipe who deserves a serious battering.

• Upvote 2

Just how bad was Sakho?

This bad (DanKennett on twitter) :

15 clearances

40/42 passes

2 tackles

1 interception

I thought he went to ground one too many times and came out to challenge for a ball that he didn't need to. Did any of this lead to their goals? I don't think so. For his first game in the squad against an attacking side like Swansea, his stats really aren't that bad. So I wouldn't be quick to pillory him just yet.

'There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.'

He didnt have a great game. A bit ponderous and went walkabout for the equaliser

Doesnt mean that he wont be brilliant for us in the long run but i thought Toure should have come on at least second half when Swansea had all the possession.  hindsight is a wonderful thing though.

I would absolutely love stamping on his head.

The guy has proper delusions of grandeur. He fucks stomps around the pitch as if he's some worldbeater when really he's just alehouse, shitehouse, brickhouse mediocre. The hilarity of him trying to square up with Stevie, smalltime cunt.

Yeah, pretty much - playing 'ard, with Coutinho.

I'd love him to try this on Sakho. Sakho will fuck him in the arse and he'll have to have his fucking tonsils removed after that, the fucking smalltime cunt.

When I saw how he left his leg, on purpose, which ultimately caused the injury to Coutinho I almost put my fist though the computer screen.

Ashley Williams is an arsehole. The dick thinks he's Rio Ferdinand.

Second half was a disappointment, especially as it seemed to hinge on Coutinho going off and then Aspas failing to pick out Sturridge back stick to virtually wrap the game up, but, to be honest, I don't think a point is a bad result there.

The key is, of course, what we do Saturday. If we beat Southampton, we can basically take this for what it was, rather than be too disgruntled about it.

Sakho made 15 clearances today, 3 key ones in the last 10 mins. Improved after shaky start. Im excited by him.

Genuinely didn't think he was that bad, much better after the break. Dropped in on your debut with limited understanding with your back four in a league you've never played in against decent opposition.

More concerned about the consistent lack of control particularly in the 2nd half, our midfield just seems to be overrun every game.

What gets me is that when we were totally outplaying City and United at the start of last season, but not getting the points, it was all 'performances don't matter, points do'. Fine. Now performances seem to matter a whole lot more. I mean, just what are people expecting?

For me, that's a great point.

I can't stand how people are still seeking to do Rodgers down at every opportunity. Individual mistakes cost us both games against City last season. You can be Rinus fucking Michels, but if your centre half or your keeper decides to have a brain fart, there's fuck all you can do but watch on from the touchline.

I actually think Rodgers is really starting to grow into the role of a Liverpool manager. He may be the 'anti-Houllier' (even if I think our defensive deficiencies are a little overstated by some), but I don't think there's been a Liverpool manager in my time watching us who has made us this consistently threatening on the attack. Personally, I think you get the latter right, you go places in this league.

Sakho may become a magnificent centre half for us i dont know, but there is no doubt he was very poor for both their goals tonight.

It may be because a chronic lack of match fitness, only brendan knows.

Dan Kennett can write all the bloody stats he likes, but the camera never lies.

• Upvote 1

What Sakho did right he did very well but the things he done wrong was Djimi Traore level.  Played a big hand in both goals being conceded.  At least on two occasions he completely took himself out of the game and left us exposed by rashly sliding in and missing ball & man.

He can only get better & can't possibly be anywhere near match fitness yet, never mind getting to grips with the pace of the league.  Stating he played well tonight isn't right at all.  Shelvey done a lot right for Swansea tonight too but after gifting us two goals I doubt anyone will be saying he had a good game.

• Upvote 2

The drop-off in performance in the second half is becoming a bit of a theme and is worrying. Having said that, I did think, as backs-to-the-wall performances go, it was a good one and the fact that we have come away with something should only strengthen belief.

Overall a decente result, never easy there and we've come out still unbeaten and top of the league.

We have had worse times.

Sakho did really well on his debut in a completely new and different league with a new CB partner. He did a lot of clearances and that last interception was absolutely brilliant.

People who complain, probably haven't watched us defend the past 2-3 seasons, with our CBs crashing each other, giving away hilarious penalties, handballs, unable to defend from set pieces etc...

Sahko still looks a bit raw, the way we have been performing second half in every game has been nothing short of shocking and the fact there has been no improvement 5 weeks into the season has me doubting that its down to fitness, it's been blind luck and a few good saves by Mignolet that have stopped a few of our results ending with dropped points.

Drastically need to improve in midfield because everyone we play starts dominating us, I don't remember Sturridge receiving a single pass 2 nd half from Gerrard or Lucas and Aspas for me is a ridiculous signing, we should have just kept Suso because he offers fuck all.