You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

• 4 weeks later...

Watched Coup 53 at the weekend after stumbling across an interview with the director.

The story of Operation Ajax, the CIA/MI6 staged coup in 1953 in Iran that overthrew Prime Minister Mossadegh.

https://coup53.com/

It uses elements from a Granada TV series called End of Empire that I’ve not seen but is available on YouTube. 

9 democracy old boy?’s out of 10 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Kepler-186 said:

Watched Coup 53 at the weekend after stumbling across an interview with the director.

The story of Operation Ajax, the CIA/MI6 staged coup in 1953 in Iran that overthrew Prime Minister Mossadegh.

https://coup53.com/

It uses elements from a Granada TV series called End of Empire that I’ve not seen but is available on YouTube. 

9 democracy old boy?’s out of 10 

Thanks, watching that now.

Mentioned in the book thread, and the doc, the Kinzer book about the coup: "All the Shah's Men". Worth a read.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone been watching the Miners Strike 1984? Second episode last night. Really good insight into a snapshot of a tumultuous time in the UK. 

It's very balanced, the first episode interviewing both those who picketed and those who crossed the picket and the rifts that caused in formerly close towns. I didn't know that the members ballot was actually against the strike.

Last night was about the battle of Orgreave and had interviews with former police as well as some of those the tried to send down for 25 years under the riot act. 

Really good viewing. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Anyone been watching the Miners Strike 1984? Second episode last night. Really good insight into a snapshot of a tumultuous time in the UK. 

It's very balanced, the first episode interviewing both those who picketed and those who crossed the picket and the rifts that caused in formerly close towns. I didn't know that the members ballot was actually against the strike.

Last night was about the battle of Orgreave and had interviews with former police as well as some of those the tried to send down for 25 years under the riot act. 

Really good viewing. 

Where can i find this, mate? 

7 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Really good viewing. 

Yeah, watched it last night. It was a mad time- It was like they actually encouraged the riot at Orgreave by letting them all show up.  

9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Really good viewing. 

I just spotted the thread and was going to add The Miners Strike. Compelling viewing.

It was really disturbing to see how the impact of the strike continues to affect so many of those involved to the day. Forty years on. So many of those men seemed completely broken.

Last night’s episode was disturbing in a different way. Had it been planned all along by the government? It certainly looked like it.

It had the look of a massacre not a riot. Its amazing people weren’t killed 

14 hours ago, Champ said:

I just spotted the thread and was going to add The Miners Strike. Compelling viewing.

It was really disturbing to see how the impact of the strike continues to affect so many of those involved to the day. Forty years on. So many of those men seemed completely broken.

Last night’s episode was disturbing in a different way. Had it been planned all along by the government? It certainly looked like it.

Seemed that they allowed them to gather with the press to give them a public hiding. Forcing them into the village to cross the threshold of 'rioting'. 

9 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Seemed that they allowed them to gather with the press to give them a public hiding. Forcing them into the village to cross the threshold of 'rioting'. 

And the bit about allowing travelling picketers not being turned back by Police on the roads leading to Orgreave. The whole thing stinks 

I’m enjoying that Miners one too. Riveting stuff. 

Anyway the reason I’m in this thread is a recommendation for the Kodi nerds amongst us, who are also into our documentaries. The Asgard add-on has a documentary section which is absolutely mint. The Netflix ones are mainly kept in their own folder but if you open up the ‘Interesting’ section you’ll find some boss stand-alone docs, and if you open up the ‘Interesting TV shows’ folder you’ll find loads of mini-series. 

They’re both absolute treasure troves. Filled with stuff from everywhere. HBO, Showtime, National Geographic, Sky Documentaries, all sorts. Loads of different topics and “fuck me, I’ve gotta watch that” shows. Your favourites will be full up in no time. 

• Upvote 1

On 02/02/2024 at 17:08, Champ said:

It was planned by the government,or at least policed in that way. It was the battle that won the war for the Tories and their ideology and why the country is the way it is today. 

• Upvote 1