You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

If we get get bought by a state with human rights issues, I’m out.

We have banged on about Chelsea, City, PSG and now Newcastle ruining football and their dodgy owners. We were right to do that because it’s a disgrace and we were right.

I fucking hate the way the game is going. Was better when the local businessman bought his club and it was more of a level playing field.

• Upvote 4

I’m not convinced yet that we are up for sale, rather than touting for investment, but if so, I reckon I too would fuck it off if an authoritarian country took over. With all the money sloshing around footy’s insane enough already. 

They will already have received an offer, otherwise, why issue such a blank / open statement?  nobody is going to buy a stake in the club from them, they value us at around £3.5 billion according to reports so a 10 % stake would be about £350m and it doesn't give them any meaningful say they would still be answerable to FSG I don't see any consortium/oil Barron going for that. Whoever the bid is from or at least the interest will probably want some sort of exclusive time to look at things without a bidding war starting my guess (and its only a guess) is that maybe the deal is slowing and FSG are pushing back with the statement or of course i could be well out and there is no offer and FSG are touting us around.

Not going to happen

https://www.nbim.no/en/the-fund/about-the-fund/

Norges Bank Investment Management manages the Norwegian Government Pension Fund Global, often referred to as the Norwegian oil fund. We manage assets worth more than 12,000 billion kroner, or about 1,4 trillion dollars. The fund is invested in international equity and fixed-income markets and in real estate and renewable energy infrastructure. 

The aim of the fund is to ensure responsible and long-term management of revenue from Norway’s oil and gas resources so that this wealth benefits both current and future generations of Norway. Our objective as manager of the fund is to generate the highest possible return on the fund. We aim to achieve this in a safe, efficient, responsible and transparent manner, and within government guidelines.

A bit about the current CEO 

https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1mr3g654h58lp/Why-Did-a-Hedge-Fund-Manager-Worth-700-Million-Take-a-630-000-a-Year-Job-Managing-an-Oil-Fund

Oooo, jumpers for goalposts, isn't it? Young lads in the park. I'll be Jimmy Greaves! GOAL! Rattles in the stands, Beatles songs on the Kop, wooly hats, hot Bovril at half time. Football, isn't it? Global sports franchises, the European soccer marketplace, investment consortia. Mmmmm. Disident-killing regimes. Oooo. 

Screenshot_2022-11-07-17-26-05-478_com.android.chrome.jpg

1 minute ago, chrisbonnie said:

Out of curiosity, which oil state currently do NOT own a football club? 

I'll be suprised if it's not one of these oil rich sovereign states that's in for us. 

And it pains me to say it, as hypocritical as it may be, I'll be rather pleased when we cash finally outbid other teams. 

Uzbekistan

6 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

Out of curiosity, which oil state currently do NOT own a football club? 

I'll be suprised if it's not one of these oil rich sovereign states that's in for us. 

And it pains me to say it, as hypocritical as it may be, I'll be rather pleased when we cash finally outbid other teams. 

It would be quicker to go through OPEC members and identify the ones who do own a club. At state level Id say only three own European clubs with intent  to do sportswashing.

Just now, dockers_strike said:

It would be quicker to go through OPEC members and identify the ones who do own a club. At state level Id say only three own European clubs with intent  to do sportswashing.

Must be a sad day for you, Dockers. How you holding up? 

Assuming the ceiling has been hit on the value of LFC then I can't imagine there will be much interest in a minority stake.

If the ESL is now off the table what's the likely returns on the investment?

I can only imagine a full sale to either someone who's been interested for a long time waiting for the opportunity, and sees us as a bit of a jewel in the crown (wouldn't we know already if such an investor existed?) Or a consortium hoping to squeeze a bit more out of us with methods FSG dare not use.

1 hour ago, HBenn said:

Ian Ayre said it initially and Billy Hogan said it again in 2014. It was actually figured at 580m then. You would imagine it would be some degree more now. 

I will have a dig down in to this, but those sort of numbers are pure fantasy!

580 million supporters from a global population of 7.8 billion would mean that one in every 14 people support Liverpool!

15 minutes ago, Horus said:

Must be a sad day for you, Dockers. How you holding up? 

Not a sad day for me. In the scheme of things, what I think or say wont make a scrap of difference to whether the club is up for sale, sold, the owners just restating their position regarding investment or retaining the status quo.

Im also not one who has slagged off city, PSG and now newcastle then going on wanting any state, whether oil financed or not, owning the club and engaging in the MO of the 3 previously mentioned club's owners.

Beyond that, I take the maxim of be careful what you wish for. Irrespective of who, if anyone buys the club, we could end up with owner(s) who hired and fired like Abramovich and when his ownership all unravelled, found a web of dodgey financing had gone on. Or we could end up with another 2 cowboys situation. Yes, we could land another Boehly or similar. That thought fills me with dread with someone richer than they have more sense buying loads of players that he \ she \ they dont have a fucking clue about but buys them all the same because they can and they think it's ace playing Football Manager for real.

I also wont be one of those spitting feathers if no sale of the club actually happens. Thanks for asking how Im holding up. Im fine. You?

• Upvote 2