You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Go fuck yourselves FSG

Neil G

5 minutes ago, HBenn said:

The more you read the more you think that FSG realise we need serious investment now and don't want to/can't move the money from elsewhere and so will sell part of the club to fund it. 

They maintain control of the club and its value roses and the people coming in see an increase in their share value. 

Seems like the Redbird deal again but in the club instead of the holding group.

What's in it for the people coming in without a controlling interest? How does the value of the club rise any further without the ESL?

11 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Makes some sense for why their statement is quite vague about what kind of sale they're going for

Doesn't make any sense at all to me, sounds like personal musings which much of this is of course. FSG wouldn't be arsed if the supporters knew they wanted out.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HBenn said:

Agree with you. 

As I said in my first post I really hope that it is pretty much already done as we don't need a massive sideshow on top of what has been going on. Hopefully that is why it's come out now with just 1 game to play before the WC  We also need to get moving in Jan pretty sharpish. 

They have always said about being good custodians of the club so that will be tested now when we find out who it is they sell to. 

I reckon they've got an offer and want a second to ramp up the price. Why else would they open their mouths? They've probably been offered just enough to sell and not as much as they'd like. 

34 minutes ago, m0e said:

1- this same story comes out every 2 years. Hedge funds always use real life offers to value their assets

2- there are no oil states left to buy us

3- there is a massive recession coming and 2023/24 is going to be really fucking hard for most people. These are the times when cash rich fuckers get even richer, so it could well be a play to free up some cash to invest in undervalued shares and assets 

1. Has there? I've never seen this type of reporting before. 

2. Why couldn't Oman, Bahrain or Kuwait buy us? 

3. They want to build an NBA team in Vegas. Their redbird mates have just bought Milan for about 1/3 of the value of us. Seems an easy way to free up cash for Vegas and keeping a prestige European football name. 

8 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I reckon they've got an offer and want a second to ramp up the price. Why else would they open their mouths? They've probably been offered just enough to sell and not as much as they'd like. 

1. Has there? I've never seen this type of reporting before. 

2. Why couldn't Oman, Bahrain or Kuwait buy us? 

3. They want to build an NBA team in Vegas. Their redbird mates have just bought Milan for about 1/3 of the value of us. Seems an easy way to free up cash for Vegas and keeping a prestige European football name. 

There will have been quite a few people involved in preparing the sales documentation. I'd be surprised if FSG aren't in charge of this story but it's possible someone involved in that process told someone else etc and they had to get ahead of it.

1 hour ago, dockers_strike said:

Not a sad day for me. In the scheme of things, what I think or say wont make a scrap of difference to whether the club is up for sale, sold, the owners just restating their position regarding investment or retaining the status quo.

Im also not one who has slagged off city, PSG and now newcastle then going on wanting any state, whether oil financed or not, owning the club and engaging in the MO of the 3 previously mentioned club's owners.

Beyond that, I take the maxim of be careful what you wish for. Irrespective of who, if anyone buys the club, we could end up with owner(s) who hired and fired like Abramovich and when his ownership all unravelled, found a web of dodgey financing had gone on. Or we could end up with another 2 cowboys situation. Yes, we could land another Boehly or similar. That thought fills me with dread with someone richer than they have more sense buying loads of players that he \ she \ they dont have a fucking clue about but buys them all the same because they can and they think it's ace playing Football Manager for real.

I also wont be one of those spitting feathers if no sale of the club actually happens. Thanks for asking how Im holding up. Im fine. You?

Agree with that Docker. FSG have their faults, but we really could be owned by far worse and for that reason, this announcement is exciting and terrifying.

I've always said that FSG would be ideal owners for a properly governed footballing landscape. They are seriously astute people who generally appoint the right people and learn from their mistakes. They would have been terrific for us in the 90s and early 00s. We are a much better run club on and off the pitch under their watch.

The problem is that it isn't a properly governed landscape and with Newcastle owned by the Saudis, it will get worse. Their model is utterly dependant on Jurgen being an incredible manager and nearly getting every decision right. They aren't going to spend what is needed because at heart they think safe and they know that Jurgen will nearly always get them top 4, which is their primary goal. In the coming years, that is only going to get harder.

I think the owner of City's cousin tried to buy us a few years ago, so wonder if it is him coming in.

• Upvote 1

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/super-league-collapse-citys-booming-income-and-chelsea-takeover-fuel-liverpools-possible-4bn-sale-wqdjhk6r3

Super League collapse, City’s booming income and Chelsea takeover fue…

After the swift disintegration of the European Super League in April last year, senior figures at Liverpool and Fenway Sports Group (FSG) spoke candidly of the “medium-term consequences” of the collapse.

The message was that FSG may have revived the once-ailing giant but that it had taken Liverpool as far as it could, given the challenges of competing against the resources of state-owned clubs in England (Manchester City) and Europe (Paris Saint-Germain). It was an indication that the owners would plan an exit strategy.

Liverpool’s principal owner, John W Henry, and chairman, Tom Werner, had attempted to redress the balance. The first attempt was Project Big Picture, a shake-up of English football driven by Liverpool and Manchester United that handed more power to the longest-serving Premier League clubs. One of the aims of the project was to redistribute more wealth to the EFL, but potentially the most important change was that clubs would have been able to sell their own overseas rights for eight Premier League matches a season.

The most likely suitors for Liverpool — described as a “once in a lifetime kind of asset” — are American

GETTY IMAGES

For Liverpool and Manchester United, with their vast fanbases abroad, that was seen as a game-changer. However, the project failed to get across the line. Instead the two clubs turned to the European Super League.

Again, in the blueprint for that competition, was the ability of the clubs to sell the rights for four matches a season around the world. Again, the project collapsed almost as soon as it was launched, and once the owners had licked their wounds and apologised to fans it was no surprise that they started to look at life after Liverpool.

The latest financial figures announced by Manchester City will only increase FSG’s appetite to cash in on the club that it bought for £300 million in October 2010. Liverpool have been a remarkable investment, given that a sale should bring in at least £3 billion — Chelsea were sold for £2.5 billion (with the total investment costing £4.25 billion, because of a £1.75 billion provision for the stadium) and they are way behind in terms of brand value; in fact Forbes valued Liverpool at £3.89 billion in May this year.

Yet the trend of Manchester City’s financial results has provided pause for thought, and particularly their commercial income which, at £309.5 million, is now far higher than both Manchester United’s (£257 million) and Liverpool’s (£218 million). City also made a record £41.7 million profit last season, with revenues of £613 million, and somehow managed to achieve this in a year in which their wage bill remained static at £354 million, even though the number of employees — including football staff — rose from 509 to 549.

In 2017, even before City had overtaken their English rivals, Spain’s La Liga made a complaint to Uefa, pointing out that the club had “uncommonly high commercial revenue”, with several sponsors being companies “directly controlled by the United Arab Emirates”.

FSG appears to be contemplating an end to its journey. Although sources say no immediate sale is in the offing, what it will be hoping to find, via the US banks Goldman Sachs and Morgan Stanley, are business people, investment funds or consortiums willing to speculate to accumulate and put in the necessary money to compete with City, PSG and possibly in the future Saudi-owned Newcastle United.

As with Chelsea, the most likely buyers are American. The Chinese have lost their taste for football investment, while the three richest Gulf states have already made their move.

Mike Forde, the former director of football at Chelsea who sits on the advisory board of the US-based Ares Management investment fund, told The Times last month that even the £2.5 billion paid for Chelsea by the Todd Boehly and Clearlake-led consortium is seen as good value.

SPORT

Asking price

According to Forbes, Liverpool is the fourth-most valuable club in the world

Total Chelsea sale was £4.25 billion with £1.5 billion as future investments | Converted to pounds using present rate

image.gif.926d053257a19d344d7c67743572712e.gif

The view is that streaming platforms will drive future income growth. “All the streaming platforms are trying to get content to make their offering more attractive and grow their audience, and sport is the main live content available,” Forde said. “The Premier League is a huge part of that.”

Colin Neville of the Raine Group, the US firm that was given the task of finding a buyer for Chelsea, said last month that big Premier League clubs are “once in a lifetime kind of assets” which drive “a tremendous amount of interest”.

José Feliciano, of Clearlake Capital, believes that Chelsea can double their revenue. “These are global businesses,” he told a Bloomberg investment event. “We think we have an incredible opportunity to double revenue. We think we have one of the best media properties and sport properties in the world where we can get to £1 billion of revenue.”

The other factor that piques American interest is that the NFL has TV income worth more than $10 billion a season, three times as much as the Premier League, and yet football has far greater global appeal.

For all those reasons there are sure to be many suitors lining up for Liverpool. The only question is how much they are willing to pay.

1 hour ago, m0e said:

1- this same story comes out every 2 years. Hedge funds always use real life offers to value their assets.

It's never been publicly announced that the club is up for sale in this sort of manner.

I think FSG have realised that they can't go any further with us so want to cash out now before the value of the club starts to drop.

3 minutes ago, Harry Squatter said:

Was expecting them to try to hang on for a few more years but they are probably looking at the top 4 with Newcastle spending and not much prospect of the ESL. 

Can't wait until we sign a £200m sponsorship deal with a dodgy betting company in the middle East with 14 employees.

I think you mean a "po box down some dodgy lane in soho" 

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

"City's booming income" city's bullshit lies. What mad arses would want to buy into this league and try and compete with Newcastles owners.

Martin Ziegler wrote that piece, I think he's generally been quite friendly to City but piece is almost laughing out loud at the brazeness of them. 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Is there any oil states that don't have a shady history of human rights abuses? Or any that aren't as bad as the others with only a small number of beheadings? 

Norway, but we are not in the market for a football club. 

6 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

But they knew that 5 years ago and were happy to just sit on their hands and concentrate on their profits. 

Dude:

League

Cups

European

Worldwide