You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Those of you who are well read...

Section_31

Difficult to answer, unless someone has read almost everything. From my own experience as a literature graduate, I would say not very common in your common or garden novel, but I seem to be of the impression that a few plays turn up of that ilk.

Pourquoi?

Edited by The Flâneur
well, why?

How common is it to have a story told in the first person by a 'narrator', with internal monologues etc, but who has no impact on the actual plot itself and just observes?

"Not very", would be my answer.

The only books I can think of that possibly fit that desription would be, "Wampeter's, Foma and Grandfalloons", by Kurt Vonnegut, or perhaps "A Prayer for Owen Meany" by John Irving.

Both excellent, but debateable whether the 'narrator' has little impact upon the plot line.

"One flew over the cuckoos nest" is narrated by Chief Broom and he has little to do with the plot

Dude, it's all about the Chief!

Spoilers for those who have not read the book:

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

McMurphy's actions and personality lead the chief out of the darkness and ready to take responsibility for himself again. As such there is an intentional blurring of whether McMurphy actually is just a good man causing a bit of trouble to the psycopathic system, or that is just how it is interpreted by the Chief in his transitioning mental state.

As McMurphy gets lobotomised at the end it is reflected by the Chief breaking out of the mental institute being the conclusion of this.

What purpose would internal monologues serve if the narrator was extraneous to the narrative? They could lead the reader to a particular perspective but that would be a bit heavy handed, wouldn't it?

I suppose it would work if you had a character narrating an historical story that was later revealed to have some resonance in their present. However, that character would inevitably then become part of the narrative.