You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

I'm very divided regarding Henderson. What he adds is the occational run in the box. That is by far the most important thing he brings to the table. Energy, yes, decent crossing, yes. But still Henderson plays like a coward too often. His idea of keeping possession can ruin good attacking opportunities in my opinion. I have rarely seen a player spending so much energy to get himself in a position to play a simple backward pass.

So for me, I'm glad that he's doing allright, but I would prefer Gerrard to play in his position as he is heads and shoulders above Henderson when it comes to what benefits the team the most - creating and finishing chances.

Having said that it seems like Rodges is very reluctant to play Gerrard in the advanced position, so me dreaming of it ar talking about it won't make much difference.

We all see how Lucas' presence benefits Gerrard. In my opinion that would be the case for the most natural deep playmaker we have, Sahin, as well. So for the teams benefit I would like to think that there are other options that would be better.

Henderson's abilities could be just as well used further down the pitch as I see it.

You're brain must have exploded when you seen Gerrard linking up with Suarez last night despite him playing in centre midfield. There has become this obsession with playing Gerrard behind the striker since the 2008-09 season. Thinking that this is the only way for him to link up with the striker.

If anything it became a massive hindrance to the team and was probably the main reason 2009-10 went so badly. In this position a lot of the time Gerrard ends up with his back to goal with only the centre forward to pick out usually marked by 2 centre halves. It might shock you to know but according to Opta Gerrard actually only directly assisted Torres once all season in the league in 08-09 despite the fact that this tactic became legendary it actually wasn't this tactic that won us the majority of the games that season.

Last night was a prime example of what we need. Suarez runs and closes down from the first to the last second but it's pointless if he is doing it by himself. Having someone either upfront with him or just off him with an engine like Henderson pressurises the opposition, gains us possession and crreates opportunities.

Having Gerrard deeper also gives him more options. Downings run followed by Suarez's second would never have happened had Gerrard not been deeper because Gerrard does not make them runs himself and we do not have any other player with the range of passing of Gerrard to deliver the ball. Gerrard is one of the best centre midfielders of all time and he has all the attributes to become a player in the mould of Xabi or Pirlo in his later years. Neither have pace but have equally the brilliant passing range Gerrard has, we just need to build a team of willing runners around that.

Would be gutted if he is sold, I really like him and he can grow into a top player and I think Rodgers has the ability to get the best out of him. Plenty of room for improvement of course, I do find his passing backwards when he gets up front a bit annoying especially when he can slice the ball to an advanced player, but hopefully he'll learn how to pick out players with neat tricky passes etc in the future.

The Guest: It didn't. One sweet pass from the deep won't change my stance. I'm not saying behind the striker. I'm saying the one of the midfield three pushing forward the most. Gerrard as one of the two is in my opinion not the best option either offensively nor defensively for the team.

Gerrard understands how to link up with Suarez, and the few times he's been played there this season it gave immediate results in form of offensive involvement.

Do you think Henderson/Allen/Shelvey/Sahin/Suso adds more to the team in that role? If so, why?

The Guest: It didn't. One sweet pass from the deep won't change my stance. I'm not saying behind the striker. I'm saying the one of the midfield three pushing forward the most. Gerrard as one of the two is in my opinion not the best option either offensively nor defensively for the team.

Gerrard understands how to link up with Suarez, and the few times he's been played there this season it gave immediate results in form of offensive involvement.

Do you think Henderson/Allen/Shelvey/Sahin/Suso adds more to the team in that role? If so, why?

I already answered your question in my last post.

I would be very very surprised if B-Rod got rid. He is a proper good lad and IMO a future England captain. As I have already said on this thread, he has an excellent attitude off the field according to reports. Add to that to a decent level of ability and he is a good lad to have in the squad.

He's playing well but I dont think he'll be at the club long term.

I don't see why not if he keeps performing as he has done.

Good age, talented, good attitude, suits the way we play.

The only issue I think Rodgers / FSG would have with him arethe wages he is on.

Thanks. I don't know if that's too much or about right for his position.

It is too much if he is not playing or offering anything.

But if he plays like he has recently, then I don't think it will be an issue.

Barrett wrote when we were just about to sign him that we were going to treble his 20k a week wages. So I'd guess 60k.

I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when we were drawing up contracts that summer. Some of the negotiations must have blown that famous Ridsdale/Seth Johnson anecdote out of the water in terms of startling insanity and gross ineptness.

His pace and technique are rare. Gerrard-Suarez-Henderson are a pleasure to watch.

I would be very very surprised if B-Rod got rid. He is a proper good lad and IMO a future England captain. As I have already said on this thread, he has an excellent attitude off the field according to reports. Add to that to a decent level of ability and he is a good lad to have in the squad.

He's a great dribbler

:wow: