You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

Bloody hell, given them some time, both are young and still developing, and the team as a whole is developing and adjusting, judge these players when they are around 24, and the team from next season and the one after.

Why did we pay for might he might possibly turn out to be maybe when he is 24?

As I said in a previous thread, it is brainless business to pay 16 million for an 8 million pound player in the hope he may turn out to be worth 16 million in the future.

And that is why there is a lack of patience, because you should be getting value for money in football.

Yeah, you remember those days surely, when young players were given a season or more to bed in.

For instance, who can forget the first season in which a 23-year-old John Barnes struggled to settle at Anfield; an indifferent campaign in which Barnes made the unremarkable contribution of 17 goals but in which, nevertheless, his steady progress was recognised with the PFA Player of the Year award.

*hic*

Yip. Managers were as well.

Why did we pay for might he might possibly turn out to be maybe when he is 24?

As I said in a previous thread, it is brainless business to pay 16 million for an 8 million pound player in the hope he may turn out to be worth 16 million in the future.

And that is why there is a lack of patience, because you should be getting value for money in football.

I don't know why we paid 16mil, maybe because his young and English, and we had an inept negotiating team that liked to get mugged. He was a 6mil player at best, but the fact is we paid 16mil and he is our player and part of our club, give the lad a chance.

• 3 weeks later...

Been playing out of his skin of late. Never been his biggest fan but seems a completely different player and in all honestly, one of our most consistant performers this season.

As long as he upholds his new found confidence and positivity he'll be a valuable player. His crosses are dangerous and I have noticed him pop up in tap-in positions about five times in the last couple of games, only to be ignored. Seeing him shit himself in the middle of the pitch seems a thing of the past and long may that continue.

Lets hope this last half of the season is a good one for him.

still got a feeling he may end up going to fund other signings but I hope not and that he continues his form from the past 2 games (plus a number of his other performances this season), excellent talent, last season did him no favours at all at the time playing out of position every week in a shite team after a big money move but I think it'll do him good in the long run

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I don't think he's quite there yet, and not quite as great as some are making out, but he's starting to actually get involved in games. I hope some of what Gerrard has been.doing the last few games rubs off on him, be wise those are the sort of things he needs to do.

Can really see his confidence levels rising too. He's actually attempting to shoot too, even if it doesn't hit the target. Last year he constantly bottled it when he should have taken a shot but didn't. He's a steady player, reminds me sometimes of Scott Parker. Good option to have in the squad.

Vast improvement from last season but that should be the case being played in a position that suits him.

Has a great engine and puts a good cross in - maybe why we gave him a go on the right - he is playing well and showing good signs, another Lucas, hopefully.

Once he found a bit of confidence last night he did really well. He was in 'just get rid' mode for the first 20 or so minutes. It's frustrating as it slows attacks down for the team and makes him look like he lacks awareness of what's on around him.

Once we went one up he got much better so, for me,there's still a reliance upon the rest of the team playing well before he comes out of his shell and starts adding to the game.

I just wish he could start a game filled with the self belief he should have in his own ability.

Code's got a point. When he played in the middle, which wasn't often, last season he played a lot better. He was pretty poor out wide but the game time last season has obviously helped him.

I don't think he was anywhere near the level he has been the past few games though. He has blatantly got more confidence and it hasn't just made him a decent player it's made him undroppable in the formation and style of play we are playing at the moment. God knows where this confidence has come from though.

Credit to Rodgers for changing his mind on him and giving him the opportunity.

He was excellent in the centre last season,when he got his chance but our formation left us exposed with not having a regular sitting midfielder with Lucas being injured mostly.

This season he can drop back and move forward more freely as he is one of a central three and doesnt have to worry too much about losing the ball as usually there is support behind as well as in front.

He is coming along very nicely but still has work to do.

He wasnt worth what we paid for him but thats what happens when you buy British and maybe thats another reason he struggled too with the weight of expectations on his back.

This season he is much more relaxed and willing to try and be more positive.

I'm very divided regarding Henderson. What he adds is the occational run in the box. That is by far the most important thing he brings to the table. Energy, yes, decent crossing, yes. But still Henderson plays like a coward too often. His idea of keeping possession can ruin good attacking opportunities in my opinion. I have rarely seen a player spending so much energy to get himself in a position to play a simple backward pass.

So for me, I'm glad that he's doing allright, but I would prefer Gerrard to play in his position as he is heads and shoulders above Henderson when it comes to what benefits the team the most - creating and finishing chances.

Having said that it seems like Rodges is very reluctant to play Gerrard in the advanced position, so me dreaming of it ar talking about it won't make much difference.

We all see how Lucas' presence benefits Gerrard. In my opinion that would be the case for the most natural deep playmaker we have, Sahin, as well. So for the teams benefit I would like to think that there are other options that would be better.

Henderson's abilities could be just as well used further down the pitch as I see it.