You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

He has been very good.

He needs games, and alot of them just like Zigackly said, I just dont see him getting them

(I think any player* who does shit and gets a bit better is going to be compared to Lucas, that turnaround was astonishing)

*except joe cole of course

Well I hope he doesn't get those games, because he isn't good enough mid/long term.

I disagree that the Lucas "turnaround" was astonishing. The fans' (or some of them at least) turnaround was astonishing, and embarrassing.

I think a little better than ok. He's looking a lot more positive recently and is obviously under instruction to get forward. The closer he plays to goal the better, for me. Nobody wants to see him around the half way line running 5 yards then turning and passing to the center halfs.

I think its okay in relation to what I expect of a Liverpool midfielder, and I'm not talking Souness, or even Alonso, level. For e.g, he's nowhere near as good as Meireles. I don't like the fact that because Lucas "came good" it means that we should just persevere with every single young player because they'll all, obviously, definitely, also come good. Its fucking nonsense.

I'd keep him until the summer. Whereas by the end of last season I'd happily have taken a quid for him just so he never has to play for us again.

Can't fault his attitude.

Come on LFD, 'very good'? He's been better than ok but he hasn't been brilliant.

I think he has been very good.

On the weekend, when he came on we had a centre midfielder who would make attacking runs. Gerrard is doing it less, due to his age and Allen seems reluctant to do it. His run and cross helped get the winner.

Against Wigan we were struggling. Wigan were actually have the better of it and Henderson came on for Suso and his energy in midfield help us get controll and we looked a different team.

Midweek getting his goal, people say he can't finish - that shut a few people up.

He's got other assists this season as well, like the pass to Shelvey vs Young Boys - probably more if I can think hard enough.

Henderson got shit last season as he cost a lot (not his fault), was played out of position (not his fault) and he struggled. But when he went into his best positon in centre midfield, he looked promising and actually did well - like when we battered Chelsea at home and he scored.

In the summer we had the predictable writing off of certain players - Enrique was shit apparently, Henderson lacked bottle etc. We are very quick to write players off, Skrtel had numerous shit on here a few years ago for example, Lucas is another. Enrique has proven the doubters wrong this season already and I am delighted to see Henderson doing the same.

Henderson has it all really for a centre midfielder - he's tall, athletic build, has tons of energy, good technique, can pass, can tackle, can shoot - he has demonstrated all those abilities in his time here. He is under 21 captain for a reason.

Henderson has kept his head down this season, worked hard, refused to move when he had the option and when used has done well, very well at times as my exmaples above show.

In the 4-3-3 formation we play the two players ahgead of Lucas have a big work load, as they need to press, get forward, help Lucas defensively and fill in at times when the full backs overlap. Henderson has the energy to do this. He has the ability to keep the ball. He is showing passion when he is playing and impressing when being used.

I really don't get all the shit he gets. He cost a lot and got played out of position - people wrote him off. But actually he is a good player, has a bright future and is doing well when used this season.

If we bought Allen last season, played him out of position - people would have written him off and said he is a flop. If we bought Henderson this season and played as he has done he would have been raved, as Allen has been. Really Henderson can do everything Allen does and more - as he is getting goals, assists and isn't as light weight and is better in the air (and I like Allen - I like both of them).

Every team needs a scapegoat, but really it shouldn't be Henderson for me he has done really well this season, despite popular opinion.

If he had the mental strength and attitude of Shelvey he would be a top player.

I think he does have it.

In one of the Europa games (can't remember who it was against might have been Anzi away) he played well, yet all people could mention after the match the chance he had to square the ball or when he blast over the bar at the end of the game. They ignored all his energy, his passing, his defensive play - they mentioned those two missed.

Now Shelvey against Newcastle missed two far easier chances, two sitters really.

They are young, they will make mistakes. Both have belief in their ability.

You only have to see the passion Henderson is showing on the field at the moment and the fact he did want to stay and prove he was good enough to show he has something about him.

The problen is Henderson has a tag (which is unjust IMO) and it is hard to shift. But he is doing the right thing, getting his head down, working hard and performing when used. If he keeps doing that people will appreciate him more and he will force his way into the team, I think he deserves to be in it at the moment.

Can't fault his attitude.

Fault yours though. Writing a 21 year old off after 1 season. Belting that.

Long for the days when young players were given at least a season to settle in and price tags didn't matter so much.

Henderson's put in some good performances lately, he's been a far better option than Sahin who, despite the hype is having trouble adjusting. Young players need the benefit of doubt from supporters. They don't need their confidence obliterating. We offered him up as part of a deal for Clint Dempsey, pretty much halving his worth. Imagine how Meireles would have reacted to that? What's the deal with comparing young players to more experienced internationals by the way?

As for him and Lucas. Both players came to the club as youngsters with a good reputation. Both players failed in providing immediate results but both have shown more than a hint of promise.

Long for the days when young players were given at least a season to settle in and price tags didn't matter so much.

Ahh, those were the days. When was this again?

I'd have no problem with Henderson being in our reserves. Which is what would have happened with him 30 years ago.

Ahh, those were the days. When was this again?

I'd have no problem with Henderson being in our reserves. Which is what would have happened with him 30 years ago.

The likes of Ronnie Whelan, Sammy Lee?

You'd rather see some Portuguese shithouse with tats called Raul.

The likes of Ronnie Whelan, Sammy Lee?

You'd rather see some Portuguese shithouse with tats called Raul.

You've just named two players who spent at least a season in the reserves. Which, I'm almost certain, was my point.

You should have mentioned earlier that you were a huge xenophobe. Your argument now makes more sense.

Ahh, those were the days. When was this again

Yeah, you remember those days surely, when young players were given a season or more to bed in.

For instance, who can forget the first season in which a 23-year-old John Barnes struggled to settle at Anfield; an indifferent campaign in which Barnes made the unremarkable contribution of 17 goals but in which, nevertheless, his steady progress was recognised with the PFA Player of the Year award.

*hic*

Very true, if he spent half the time worrying about his game than he does worrying about his fucking hair, he might turn out half decent.

I'm no expert, but I'd suggest either Jordan or his hairdresser is homosexual.

30 years ago the stench of perming lotion must have cauterised the nostrils of anyone stepping into the dressing room. And let's not even start on Barry Venison.

You've just named two players who spent at least a season in the reserves. Which, I'm almost certain, was my point.

You should have mentioned earlier that you were a huge xenophobe. Your argument now makes more sense.

You spend 16m on a 21 year old and then stick him in the reserves?

Or write him off after 1 year?

There's a middle ground to be had there, somewhere.

You could take Jordan home to meet your mother, no probs. On the other hand Raul with the tats and a funny accent ... he'll only break your heart.

The problem with Henderson is the problem with all our midfield players, pretty much: all neat and tidy passing, running around energetically, but absolutely no cutting edge. There is a reason why people remember him blasting over when shooting from good positions, just like people remember Shelvey missing sitters against Newcastle - it's because our midfield does not contribute enough to the attacking side of our game.

His assist against West Ham is a start, but he's got to do that consistently, otherwise we'll be back to huffing and puffing and getting fuck all out of games.

The problem with Henderson is the problem with all our midfield players, pretty much: all neat and tidy passing, running around energetically, but absolutely no cutting edge. There is a reason why people remember him blasting over when shooting from good positions, just like people remember Shelvey missing sitters against Newcastle - it's because our midfield does not contribute enough to the attacking side of our game.

His assist against West Ham is a start, but he's got to do that consistently, otherwise we'll be back to huffing and puffing and getting fuck all out of games.

I don't think anyone has said he is the real deal or finished article.

Just that he has been doing well this season when used.

A goal and an assist in his last two games, has to be positive.

I don't think anyone has said he is the real deal or finished article.

Just that he has been doing well this season when used.

A goal and an assist in his last two games, has to be positive.

I was moaning more about the midfield in general than Henderson in particular. One of the things that has disappointed me the most this season has been Allen. I don't think he's been shit, but having never seen him play, I assumed that he was a bit more skillful and attacking than he has actually turned out to be, simply because why sign him when he is pretty much no different than Lucas and Henderson from last year's squad?

But he appears absolutely shit scared of the opposition penalty area, so the onus falls even more heavily on Henderson to morph into an attack-minded player or Shelvey to find some shooting consistency. Can he become that player, a younger Gerrard type? Who knows? Can we afford to wait to find out?

Yeah, you remember those days surely, when young players were given a season or more to bed in.

For instance, who can forget the first season in which a 23-year-old John Barnes struggled to settle at Anfield; an indifferent campaign in which Barnes made the unremarkable contribution of 17 goals but in which, nevertheless, his steady progress was recognised with the PFA Player of the Year award.

*hic*

Dear me.

Looks hungrier lately showing a lot of passion.. Hope he keeps it up because thought he was a good player before we signed him

True. Also starting to look at lot more confident. Against Udinese, what pleased me most wasn't his goal, it was to see him having the cojones to bollock Suarez for not passing to him when he was in a scoring position.

Keep it up and you'll become even more respected as a foootballer than you are as a Topman model.

jordan-henderson-topman-interview-500x281.jpg

I was moaning more about the midfield in general than Henderson in particular. One of the things that has disappointed me the most this season has been Allen. I don't think he's been shit, but having never seen him play, I assumed that he was a bit more skillful and attacking than he has actually turned out to be, simply because why sign him when he is pretty much no different than Lucas and Henderson from last year's squad?

But he appears absolutely shit scared of the opposition penalty area, so the onus falls even more heavily on Henderson to morph into an attack-minded player or Shelvey to find some shooting consistency. Can he become that player, a younger Gerrard type? Who knows? Can we afford to wait to find out?

Bloody hell, given them some time, both are young and still developing, and the team as a whole is developing and adjusting, judge these players when they are around 24, and the team from next season and the one after.