You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jordan Henderson - what are you?

silverlining

I'd like to see a lot more from him, simply because I think he's got more to offer.

He took on the Stevie G mantle yesterday, and sometimes i think the presence of Stevie can get in the way of other players stepping upto the mantle.

Anyway, back to Henderson. I don't think that 'being disciplined' suits him. He seems to run and move and play within himself as part of a midfield three, but his strengths seem to lie in his atheleticism, not his ability to jog around the centre cirle. I think he needs more freedom than he's getting.

I'd like to see a lot more from him, simply because I think he's got more to offer.

He took on the Stevie G mantle yesterday, and sometimes i think the presence of Stevie can get in the way of other players stepping upto the mantle.

Anyway, back to Henderson. I don't think that 'being disciplined' suits him. He seems to run and move and play within himself as part of a midfield three, but his strengths seem to lie in his atheleticism, not his ability to jog around the centre cirle. I think he needs more freedom than he's getting.

So we gathered

He was great when he came on last night but I wasn't that impressed with him against Villa and Stoke. People need to just let players develop rather than making judgements or grand declarations about them.

Gerrard comparisons on here astonish and depress me. I've seen Shelvey(!) and Henderson regularly positively compared to him in the last year or two. Utter madness. It's disrespectful to Gerrard and unfair to the prospects in question.

Anyway, I'm off to start a thread comparing Aspas to Kenny.

Gerrard comparisons on here astonish and depress me. I've seen Shelvey(!) and Henderson regularly positively compared to him in the last year or two. Utter madness. It's disrespectful to Gerrard and unfair to the prospects in question.

Didn't Gerrard compare Henderson to himself? I don't think he finds it disrespectful, Henderson on the other hand may not like having to deal with the comparison.

Didn't Gerrard compare Henderson to himself? I don't think he finds it disrespectful, Henderson on the other hand may not like having to deal with the comparison.

Stevie's just being a good captain there, trying to boost a player who struggles with confidence in a way that he never did.

Ill be astounded if he doesn't start against the mancs, his energy has been key to our defensive work.

I'll be astounded considering Allen's injured and Alberto hasn't had a minute of league action.

Completely agree. How about we just let him be Jordan Henderson? That works for me.

Completely agree. How about we just let him be Jordan Henderson? That works for me.

Big time. He's playing quite well now and I appreciate the points people make about the energy that he brings. Still huge room for improvement though.

He'll be an automatic starter by default for the foreseeable future. Hopefully he won't get complacent as a result as he has sometimes in the past.

I'll be astounded considering Allen's injured and Alberto hasn't had a minute of league action.

For a lot of games last season we played with Gerrard and Lucas with either Suarez or coutinho ahead of them.When Suarez comes back I expect this to continue and there will be a lot of games where we don't see Allen or Henderson unless they are replacing Gerrard or Lucas.

Even if Allen was fit Id expect Henderson to play, even if it was out wide, his energy will be crucial for this kind of game.

Big time. He's playing quite well now and I appreciate the points people make about the energy that he brings. Still huge room for improvement though.

He'll be an automatic starter by default for the foreseeable future. Hopefully he won't get complacent as a result as he has sometimes in the past.

Again, agree with all of that. People are overrating his contribution when he's given the team solid, if not spectacular performances. I don't why they do it but Henderson isn't alone in this happening. The one thing I am almost certain with Henderson is that complacency isn't something he'll ever suffer from.

For a lot of games last season we played with Gerrard and Lucas with either Suarez or coutinho ahead of them.When Suarez comes back I expect this to continue and there will be a lot of games where we don't see Allen or Henderson unless they are replacing Gerrard or Lucas.

Even if Allen was fit Id expect Henderson to play, even if it was out wide, his energy will be crucial for this kind of game.

I'd have expected Henderson to play as he's started both league games so far but Allen did start against United away last season so he might have started if he'd been fit. Either way, Henderson is in there on Sunday by the two sweetest words in the English language, de fault.

It's something that's coincided with our decline, honestly. Many don't want to admit how far we've fallen so one way to console yourself is to subconsciously minimise how good we used to be.

The only player in world football with the potential to be the "next Gerrard" is Julian Draxler. Henderson, to be fair to him, has improved and I think can play a role for us going forward even as we (hopefully) go up a level from where we are, but Gerrard was absolutely miles and miles better at that age.

he'll never be anything like Stevie but he can be an excellent midfielder in his own right

Done far more in his career than the likes of Wilshere and Cleverley, not that you'd know with the perceptions in the press though

Each to their own, but I think Wilshere is a fantastic footballer. He's got a bit of everything and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Cleverley's a nothing player though.

Each to their own, but I think Wilshere is a fantastic footballer. He's got a bit of everything and isn't afraid to get stuck in.

Cleverley's a nothing player though.

he is talented but I don't think he has actually done anything to warrant the hype yet

plus he seems to be an utter cunt