You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

Guest Slim(fast)Shady

I really liked Hi-De-Hi...had some top characters in...and a good story in most episodes..

Mr Partridge was excellent as the drun Punch and Judy man that hated kids!

I loved Father Ted and Black Books as I love Graham Linehans writing, but I can't look beyond Only Fools and Horses. Utterly brilliant with some of the best characters in sitcom history.

I loved Fawlty Towers also, but just feel Only Fools is a step up.

A nod also to one of my favourite comedies of the time, Filthy, Rich and Catflap. Loved those shows albeit only 6 episodes. It's no where hear one of the best, but I loved it.

Only Fools at it's very best is top, no one can argue it didn't go on too long though so I can see those voting for Fawlty Towers. partridge was fucking brilliant too to be fair.

Filthy Rich had me in tears when I watched it as a kid, not seen it for ages.

• Upvote 1

The answer is Only fools but it could easily have been Partridge or the Office.

I'll be honest, I think The Office is rated a bit too highly. It is very good of course, but it is a level below Blackadder, Father Ted, Fawlty Towers and Only fools and horses.

So many laughs there. Porridge edged it for me. The writing was perfect and Ronnie Barker had the best delivery. Pure magic in that series from the off:

[YOUTUBE]4xDQ9Jb8Gws[/YOUTUBE]

Ronnie Barker was a true legend of british comedy.

Absolutely love Porridge, brilliant writing and brilliant casting.

I voted Allo' Allo' ages ago. No regrets. Plenty of other boss sitcoms though. A mate of mine lives in Denmark and she says Allo' Allo' is still really popular over there and its on at tea time every day. Any Danes confirm if this is still the case?

[YOUTUBE]ZwkHIaTVcco[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]hiQg_H_RI_c[/YOUTUBE]

I have never watched Only Fools and Horses, so for me there's only one winner, the brilliant Blackadder. Season 2,3 and 4 are comedy gold from start to finish. Fantastic writing and great delivery. Too bad Atkinson invented the Mr.Bean character, as I think he would have been viewed in more positive lights from the critics without it. I have to admit I occasionally laughed at the first few Mr. Bean clips, but like with Jim Carrey, you get tired of Atkinsons facial expressions after a while. As Blackadder he's ace though, I think I knew season 4 by heart when I was 13-14. Me and my friend used to burst out laughing while referencing to it whenever we could. Pretty geeky I know, but fond memories from my childhood nonetheless. What's even better is that it's great watching now as well (unlike a few other shows on the list), Norwegian TV2 has just rerun the whole series, and even if I have the box set I've been compelled to watch it...

Fawlty Towers makes 2nd spot for me, and The Office 3rd.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lovely stuff. Not my words, but the words of Shaking Stevens.

Partridge wins this by a fucking mile, only rose tinted specs types are giving Fools a chance here. Blackadder is the only thing anywhere close to Partridge on the poll.

• Upvote 2

Fools and Horses. Watched the entire box set and crimbo specials within a week whilst I was sat at home after being made redundant.

The series when it went hour long, i.e. rodneys marriage and racquel (who's waaaychewl) coming on the scene is arguably the finest run of british tv ever made.

That said, Phoenix Nights was the pinnacle of some great comedians writing and performing at their peak of their talents.

Guest ShoePiss

So what is the best only fools and horses episode? The people that like it that I know always go on about the chandelier one. You know where the granddad unscrews the wrong chandelier!! Comedy gold, I can't watch it anymore because my stomach hurts and I have trouble breathing.