You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best British Sitcom Ever?

Sugar Ape

Best British Sitcom.  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Best British Sitcom.

• Only Fools And Horses
    • Blackadder
    • Father Ted
    • Fawlty Towers
    • The Office
    • The Inbetweeners
    • Red Dwarf
    • Spaced
    • Dad's Army
    • Porridge
    • Open All Hours
    • Allo Allo
    • Steptoe & Son
    • The Royle Family
    • The Young Ones
    • Bottom
    • I'm Alan Partridge
    • Men Behaving Badly
    • Phoenix Nights
    • Rising Damp
    • One Foot In The Grave
    • Black Books
    • Yes Minister
    • On The Buses
    • Other - Please State.

Agree on all counts, no doubt about it. 

Barratt is a smart guy and writes pretty tight comedy, he's also superb as Dan Ashcroft in Barley.  

Fielding is as you say all about that "random" bollocks, it's not really my bag.  Plus he became ubiquitous, which is always bad news.

I do like Barratt as well, he gets his prog rock references in, which is always a plus for me.

And he doesn't look like the lad out of Saw.

• Upvote 1

Agree on all counts, no doubt about it.

Barratt is a smart guy and writes pretty tight comedy, he's also superb as Dan Ashcroft in Barley.

Fielding is as you say all about that "random" bollocks, it's not really my bag. Plus he became ubiquitous, which is always bad news.

Oooooh, get you with your fancy words...

• Upvote 1

Mighty Boosh was great for two series, but it's an acquired taste. I though it was mindless shite for a while, but like Spaced it's really well produced and deserves a few viewings. Nanageddon is a fantastic episode with Barratt trying to play a goth.

Don't know if it's been mentioned but 15 Storeys High had some great moments, the story about the Wombles on Jim'll Fix It was very warped.

I agree with Lizzy that League Of Gentlemen should have been included in the poll, it would definitely be in my top five. 

One that I always loved but seems to get overlooked was Rab C Nesbitt, it was a great piece of social commentary on life on the periphary in Thatcher's Britain and very funny with it to.

I agree with Lizzy that League Of Gentlemen should have been included in the poll, it would definitely be in my top five. 

One that I always loved but seems to get overlooked was Rab C Nesbitt, it was a great piece of social commentary on life on the periphary in Thatcher's Britain and very funny with it to.

See me?  See the sea?  I love the sea, me.

Half these shows mentioned over the last few pages don't deserve to be anywhere near the list. Mighty Boosh? Get outta here. This thread was started in 2011 as well remember when stuff like the I.T. Crowd was in the middle of it's run, think I got a top 20 sitcoms list up and went from there, can't remember now. I don't class stuff like the LOG as a traditional sitcom to be honest so I wouldn't put that there either.

Black Books is one I've got a fondness for, and it had some good guest stars in it as well, but again ultimately not good enough.

It was shite, like an unfunny version of Reeves and Mortimer.

Thats the one with that Noel Fielding. I was at a casaba gig and that unfunny cunt came on stage dressed as papa change or some shit and I remember losing all motivation to enjoy myself. he is shit on never mind the buzzcocks as well the eyeliner wearing unfunny wanker. 

• Upvote 1

For me it's Peep Show. It was fresh and different when it first aired and I can happily sit through an episode at any time which is always a barometer as some shows tend to get boring after a few watches.

I grew up when Only Fools was in its pomp but it did nothing for me as a whole, of course it's funny in places but I remember preferring Bread as my family round the telly sitcom.

Tough one. Favourites are Steptoe and Son, Red Dwarf, Father Ted, I'm Alan Partridge, Phoenix Nights and Blackadder. Couldn't pick a favourite as it depends on my mood. Agree with the others that say that Rigsby is one of the great comedy creations, even if some of the other stuff in Rising Damp is a little dated.