You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

bri

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's part act and mainly real. He's said before that he spent a few years in the 90s DJing the graveyard shift just talking about stuff that he found funny.

That was for hospital radio. He went on to produce for XFM and Ricky & Steve started asking him stuff on air and he eventually became the star of the show.

Guest TesticleOReilly

It's interesting to listen to those old shows and see just how little Gervais has come up with this past few years, it's all regurgitated from the XFM days, his live shows, the podcasts, he's done very little new material. Karl's not as stupid as is made out, too, there are many times he's laughing at being insulted and his responses are too quick, and also the stories he tells during the XFM days are refined and changed during the podcasts, the Pilkington character is a refined creation, not the real thing. The idea of KP may come from some truth, but he's not the mong he's made out to be.

Quote from Ricky Gervais "Fame".

Ricky, Karl, and their friend Glyn were sitting around talking about Celebrity Love Island, the morning after Bianca Gascoigne said her all-time hero was Calum Best.

Glynn:" Calum Best? He's only famous 'cause of who his father is!".

Karl:" Yeah, but you could say the same thing about Jesus!".

Legend of a man.

Edited by Lario

Of course he exaggerates his character, but it is still him quite a lot. How many people doing normal travel programmes are actually being themselves? If people don't understand that, more fool them. i thought a couple of the episodes were a bit weak, but overall it was a fantastic series and I love the man. A more straight forward set up would have been better, without the intro bits and Gervais' laughs at the beginning. Just Karl going to countries. A Karl Pilkington guide to the world would be ace.

• 9 months later...

Ricky Gervais is a bona fide genius, quick witted, a fantastic actor and writer, I think it's extremely naive and ill founded to dismiss him as talentless or unfunny. His stand up's have been really good and what's more he's not afraid to stick two fingers up to the establishment. As for Karl it's not an act at all, after ten years he know's what people find funny and he clearly play's on that a bit but it adds if anything to his comedy value. I've listened to every xfm show they ever did and all in-between. Him and Ricky are best friends and spend a lot of time together aswell so he's not just his 'puppet' as many allude to. Steve Merchant doesn't get nearly as much praise as he deserves either, he's brilliant.

Ricky Gervais is a bona fide genius, quick witted, a fantastic actor and writer, I think it's extremely naive and ill founded to dismiss him as talentless or unfunny. His stand up's have been really good and what's more he's not afraid to stick two fingers up to the establishment. As for Karl it's not an act at all, after ten years he know's what people find funny and he clearly play's on that a bit but it adds if anything to his comedy value. I've listened to every xfm show they ever did and all in-between. Him and Ricky are best friends and spend a lot of time together aswell so he's not just his 'puppet' as many allude to. Steve Merchant doesn't get nearly as much praise as he deserves either, he's brilliant.

All of this

I cannot stand Gervais. At all.

I think the man is a complete and utter cunt. He loves himself completely, and I absolutely detest the way he gurns and guffaws at himself over the very slightest mirth.

I don't doubt that Karl Pilkington is funny, but I cannot watch the program because every time I see fat Ricky attempting to steal the limelight with his , "look at me, look at me! ", hitherto hysterics, it makes me wanna boot the telly through.

I cannot stand Gervais. At all.

I think the man is a complete and utter cunt. He loves himself completely, and I absolutely detest the way he gurns and guffaws at himself over the very slightest mirth.

I don't doubt that Karl Pilkington is funny, but I cannot watch the program because every time I see fat Ricky attempting to steal the limelight with his , "look at me, look at me! ", hitherto hysterics, it makes me wanna boot the telly through.

With the greatest respect, you're barely scratching the surface of his character to make those assumptions, It easy to see why people would think that but he totally and utterly play's up to the megalomaniac facade. If you can manage to see it for what it is you see the genius behind it. I can see why so many people share your opinion but I cannot help think it's one based on generalisations and from not really following his work.