You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can't get on Google and Google Chrome not working

CWD82

Can anyone help with this?

I can use google fine on my phone but on my PC whenever I access google through firefox it closes the web page

I tried Google Chrome and I'm getting a "This web page is not available" message

also

Error 105 (net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED): The server could not be found

My Mcafee antivirus has seemingly updated itself as it now looks completely different and I'm wondering if that has something to do with it but I haven't got a clue where to start.

Any advice?

It's a known Chrome bug. No definitive solution, but turning off DNS pre-fetching worked for me -

Options > Under The Hood > "Use DNS Pre-Fetching to Improve Page Load Performance"

untick it.

It's why I don't use Chrome, except for testing site layout. Still too new and too buggy for me.

EDIT: Sorry, should add that the Firefox thing may just be a regular old crash. Do other pages work in FF, apart from google?

Edited by migs

It's a known Chrome bug. No definitive solution, but turning off DNS pre-fetching worked for me -

Options > Under The Hood > "Use DNS Pre-Fetching to Improve Page Load Performance"

untick it.

It's why I don't use Chrome, except for testing site layout. Still too new and too buggy for me.

EDIT: Sorry, should add that the Firefox thing may just be a regular old crash. Do other pages work in FF, apart from google?

Cheers migs I i that unticking but no joy.

Every page that oes not require a Google search works perfectly in Firefox. Whenever I go onto Google Firefox just shuts down.

Chrome will still not connect to a server

I'm struggling with this. Any other advice?

Which version of FF, out of interest?

First, make sure you clear you Firefox cache, just in case. Cookies, as well, won't hurt, and try again.

Also, do you have any non-standard toolbars installed i.e. google/yahoo etc.? If so, try uninstalling those too.

If not, most Firefox problems are caused by add-ons doing odd things. Try disabling them all, and trying again. If that fixes it, enable them one at a time until it breaks again.

Let me know. I have an odd problem with google, myself, as it happens. I can search okay, but then a second search from the results page just clears the text field without searching. I'm still trying to figure that out.

As for Chrome, if other browsers work, it sounds like a Firewall issue. I don't use McAfee, but it should show a list of safe programs. Check it and make sure Chrome's there. IF not, add it manually.

Thanks Migs.

It's wired connection.

Tried everything you said and it's still saying Chrome can't connect to server and Firefox still crashes. It does the same on Bing.com as well. So I basically only have the orange.co.uk search working.

Getting right on my nerves

Check the exceptions list within your firewall application, be that Windows Firewall, or any other. Be sure that Chrome is on the exceptions list and give that a shot.

You may also have to change the LAN settings for your Chrome browser:

Go to :

Options->Under the Hood->Change proxy settings->LAN Settings -> Automatic Configuration -> Automatically detect settings = ON

Close GC

Restart

You may have to do similar with FF.

Go to :

Tools->Options->Advanced->Network->Connection Settings-> Select Auto detect proxy settings->OK->OK

Close FF

Restart

If that doesn't work, take note of the version of FF you are running, (Help->About Mozilla Firefox), uninstall FF and then install another version, preferably a newer version and give it a whirl.

Cheers for all help so far, however the situation has took a turn for the worse.

I now can't open the mcafee antivirus and no programme will connect to the net. FF and Chrome won't even open now.

I'm assuming the PC has a virus so I'm running in safe mode. I got advice from uncle meat before on virus issues, i've run ccleaner and now I'm running malwarebytes.

In safe mode it's letting me access mcafee but it says the virus scan has been disabled and when I try to re-enable it it will instantly disable itself again.

Anyone know of anything else I can do?

Cheers for all help so far, however the situation has took a turn for the worse.

I now can't open the mcafee antivirus and no programme will connect to the net. FF and Chrome won't even open now.

I'm assuming the PC has a virus so I'm running in safe mode. I got advice from uncle meat before on virus issues, i've run ccleaner and now I'm running malwarebytes.

In safe mode it's letting me access mcafee but it says the virus scan has been disabled and when I try to re-enable it it will instantly disable itself again.

Anyone know of anything else I can do?

Have you got a restore point you can go back to that pre-dates all the weirdness happening?

What version of Windows are you using?

I'm using XP Captain.

I ran Malwarebytes in Safemode and it detected 10 files but could only remove 5 of them.

I'm now able to get back on Firefox but the same problem with getting on Google (an most other search engines) persists.

I'm going to run Malwarebytes again in Safemode and see what else is left in there an then try to remove those specific files

Issue sorted now.

Used CCleaner and Malwarebytes in safemode to get me back on the net via Firefox

Then downloaded and ran Combofix to clear the rest of the issue.

Firefox, Google Chrome, Google searches all working fine now

Thanks for everyone's help

FAO: Captain

You're definitely right about the OS mate. I can see a machine upgrade in the near future for certain