You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

'Monster Shark' chomps Great White

Guest Dog Chaser

I hate how sharks are demonised like this. We don't belong in the sea anymore than we belong in the heart of lion's territory.

Tell them to stop trying to learn to fly then

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJrOLEGmqs&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzJrOLEGmqs&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

FLYING%2BSHARKS%2BMOTIVATIONAL%2BPOSTERS.jpg

Funnily enough I just read this before: Sharks menace Gold Coast beaches

Been out in the ocean today - was beautiful. To be honest its rips more than sharks that are a worry. Saying that been an increasing number of sharks having to be turned back by helicopters/scared away by boats. As far as I know everyone sees the ocean as their (the sharks) domain and that they have every right to patrol it. I honestly don't know anyone who believes that they should be culled or hunted. It's a tragedy when someone gets taken by one, but it's pretty infrequent and we all know the risks going in the water.

This was washed up just down from me (Surfers Paradise) on Miami beach last Christmas.

Great_White_Caught_On_The_Gold_Coast_021208_01.jpg

My mate's really into his surfing and he told me that when he went to Fraser Island (up the coast about four hours), he sat off watching the swell and could see surfers and in the background dozens of sharks - all of which were over twelve feet. Said he will never ever go surfing there again - he fully understands if we go into their environment then we have to take responsibility ourselves.

Those evil cunts that are crocs mind you . . . that's another story. They scare me shitless - especially up north. They're everywhere.

Croc kills man, stalks mates - www.theage.com.au

That is ridiculous, the ocean is their territory, not human's. We shouldn't be inteferring. Getting attacked by a sea animal is a risk you take when you enter the sea.

I hate how sharks are demonised like this. We don't belong in the sea anymore than we belong in the heart of lion's territory.

Exactly. I love sharks me, it infuriates me how they're being wiped out and hunted either for their fins or just for the fucking hell of it.

You'll get all kinds of fucking macho losers going out now and trying to hunt down this huge shark, and loads of others will get killed in the hunt. Does my fucking head in, and surfers deserve everything they get. You go in the water on a surfboard, looking like a fucking turtle or a seal to any shark looking up the surface, then you deserve to get fucking eaten.

It's like walking through the jungle in a gazelle costume. If anyone tries to hunt down this giant shark, I hope it fucking eats the cunts.

Exactly. I love sharks me, it infuriates me how they're being wiped out and hunted either for their fins or just for the fucking hell of it.

You'll get all kinds of fucking macho losers going out now and trying to hunt down this huge shark, and loads of others will get killed in the hunt. Does my fucking head in, and surfers deserve everything they get. You go in the water on a surfboard, looking like a fucking turtle or a seal to any shark looking up the surface, then you deserve to get fucking eaten.

It's like walking through the jungle in a gazelle costume. If anyone tries to hunt down this giant shark, I hope it fucking eats the cunts.

Is the total and utter completely correct answer

a fucking men.

shark nets should be totally abolished.

Its typical Aussie and South African shithouse tactics that they give they make the Great White a protected specieds yet still slaughter them in their nets and hooks.

Funnily enough I just read this before: Sharks menace Gold Coast beaches

Been out in the ocean today - was beautiful. To be honest its rips more than sharks that are a worry. Saying that been an increasing number of sharks having to be turned back by helicopters/scared away by boats. As far as I know everyone sees the ocean as their (the sharks) domain and that they have every right to patrol it. I honestly don't know anyone who believes that they should be culled or hunted. It's a tragedy when someone gets taken by one, but it's pretty infrequent and we all know the risks going in the water.

This was washed up just down from me (Surfers Paradise) on Miami beach last Christmas.

Great_White_Caught_On_The_Gold_Coast_021208_01.jpg

My mate's really into his surfing and he told me that when he went to Fraser Island (up the coast about four hours), he sat off watching the swell and could see surfers and in the background dozens of sharks - all of which were over twelve feet. Said he will never ever go surfing there again - he fully understands if we go into their environment then we have to take responsibility ourselves.

Those evil cunts that are crocs mind you . . . that's another story. They scare me shitless - especially up north. They're everywhere.

Croc kills man, stalks mates - www.theage.com.au

Last xmas, I gave you a shark, and the very next day, you threw it away.

• 4 weeks later...

bump.

seems the best thread to post this article...

Researchers discover hundreds of unknown marine species - The Globe and Mail

Researchers exploring the deep ocean have discovered hundreds of species unknown to science, including strange worms, crustaceans and other creatures that live beyond the reach of the sun’s rays.

The scientists used cameras, sonar and other equipment on five missions to study life in progressively deeper realms.

The effort to inventory the creatures of abyss was part of the Census of Marine Life, an ambitious 10-year-effort to chart the diversity, range and abundance of life in the oceans. It is an international project, involving 334 scientists from 34 countries, including Canada.

The deep sea is the Earth’s largest continuous ecosystem and largest habitat for life, says Bob Carney, a professor of oceanography at Louisiana State University.

It is dark and cold down there, about three degrees Celsius.

Most of the sea floor is mud, says Dr. Carney. But there is so much of it, with so many rare species of small clams, crustaceans and worms that it may have greater biodiversity that the tropics, he says.

Some of the animals feed on chemical or gases that would be toxic to most living creatures. Dr. Carney shot video of a solitary “wildcat” tube worm that leaked crude oil after it was yanked from the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico with a robotic arm.

These tubeworms have a hard body, much like human finger nails, and feeds on hydrogen sulfide, a gas that is produced as petroleum is broken down by bacteria. Except at very low levels, hydrogen sulfide it is deadly to most animals.

But this worm was feasting.

“When we pulled the worm up the sticky oil went streaming away. The water was about five degrees so it was looked like molasses,” says Dr. Carney.

What appears to be an ancient gold treasure is a magnified crustacean, a tiny copepod collected this year from the Atlantic abyss

On a voyage to the Mid-Atlantic Ridge earlier this year, researchers taking part in the census found several “Dumbo” octopuses that use large ear-like fins to swim.

One was two metres long, the largest octopus of this kind ever collected. Another may be new to science.

On a trip to the Antarctic, the scientists found a new species of worm that eats the bones of dead whales.

It takes so long for them to grow that many of the species that live in the deep ocean are old. Tube worms, for example, can be 100 to 200 years old, says Dr. Carney.

• 2 months later...