You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There was a time when britain was prepared to give up it's claim to northern ireland. Then the first world war kicked off and the loyal men of ulster volunteered in their tens of thousands. An entire generation of men sacrificed on the battlefields of france meant that whilst the land may have been irish- the people were most certainly british. Hopefully this helps people understand why britain won't entertain the idea of giving away northern ireland. This is of little relevance to the present troubles, which have more to do with little bastards who love a riot, encouraged by the gangsters who profit from the fear.

Fuck 'em, that was ages ago. You might as well be talking about the vikings. I wouldn't bat an eyelid if we gave northern ireland away, even if it was to the french. In fact, I think we should ebay it. Collection only, bought as seen, no reserve.

Britain has no real say in the matter once there is a majority of Catholics though. It would suit the UK to give the 6 counties back as its costing the UK government. They cant give it away once there is a majority of protestants.

Nonsense. That's like saying I can't give my mobile phone away because it's locked into t-mobile. I just sent it to Mazuma and they gave me £50! It was a good phone though - even so I'd expect at least that for Northern Ireland, despite its infestation.

Nonsense. That's like saying I can't give my mobile phone away because it's locked into t-mobile. I just sent it to Mazuma and they gave me £50! It was a good phone though - even so I'd expect at least that for Northern Ireland, despite its infestation.

with all the fighting going on all the time, the least you should expect is scrappage.

the most prudent point is the assumption that all Catholics will vote for a united ireland. This is wholly wrong.

You would need to be a fucking loon if you lived in the North and wanted to be a part of the South right now. We are all up shit creek but that would be throwing away the paddle. Exit polls conducted at the last general election suggest if there was a referendum on the question right now if would be rejected by more than 72% of the population and this election had the lowest unionist turnout since the war. make of that what you will.

The republic dont want us either so its a moot point anyway. They cant even afford to keep their own economy running never mind one that has a huge bias toward the public sector.

I have to laugh at these riots, started by gangsters and cunts who think the whole world owes them a living. If they werent rioting at the marches they would find something else to shit upon.

Most of you probably don't know but Churchill nearly handed the North over to De Valera during the second world war in return for allowing him to base ships and men at Irish ports. he rightly saw it as a spring board for Hitlers invasion of britain.

• 1 year later...
Mental over there, all this trouble over a flag? Any excuse to get out on the streets causing murder again.

This.

Only judging from the telly pictures but it does seem to be (predominantly) daft illiterate yoofs wanging bricks at the coppers.

I would bet that if the TV guy's managed to interview any of these hoodlums and asked them why they were causing such disorder, the thick cunts wouldn't have a clue.

Exactly like last years riots over here.

Funny story, was in the boozer the other night and some idiot was shiting out of him about the IRA and all that shite, someone asked him to name the 6 counties of NI and after a bit of a stutter said 'Belfast'.

Mush for brains. The place, even down here- is full of them.

Pat Finucane murder: de Silva report to be published

A senior lawyer's review of the extent of security force collusion in the 1989 murder of Belfast solicitor Pat Finucane is being published later.

Mr Finucane was shot by loyalists in front of his wife and children at his north Belfast home in February 1989.

It was one of the most controversial killings of the Troubles.

Last year Prime Minister David Cameron acknowledged there was state collusion in Mr Finucane's murder and apologised to his family.

Sir Desmond de Silva QC carried out the review at the government's request. The Finucanes want a public inquiry as they fear the full truth will not emerge.

After meeting David Cameron in Downing Street last year, Geraldine Finucane told journalists:"I would just like to say that I can barely speak to the media on this occasion because I am so angry and so insulted by being brought to Downing Street today to hear what the prime minister had on offer.

"He has offered a review."

Loyalist paramilitaries, the Ulster Freedom Fighters (UFF) shot 38-year-old Mr Finucane 14 times in front of his wife and three young children as they sat at the dinner table.

He was a high-profile solicitor and his clients included IRA hunger strikers, and families involved in shoot-to-kill allegations against the police.

The publication of Mr de Silva's report follows a review of all the existing documentation on the murder. It was not a fresh inquiry.

Commons statement

Prime Minister David Cameron is due to make a statement on its findings to the House of Commons later.

Mr Finucane's family have said the review falls far short of the full inquiry for which they have campaigned for years.

Speaking last month, Mr Finucane's widow, Geraldine, said the announcement that the review would be published in full was not a guarantee of openness and transparency.

"Vital information has already been removed from the report by the de Silva review team prior to checking by security officials, MOD personnel and the PSNI," she said.

"By the time the report is made public, it will have been sanitised completely, to ensure that the least possible amount of discomfort is caused to the government and the British state."

Mr de Silva said his report would include a volume of the key relevant documents relating to the murder which was, he said, "an exceptional step for a review such as this to take". He said he felt this was important to ensure public confidence in his report.

The year before he was murdered, Mr Finucane had defended former hunger striker Pat McGeown, who had been charged with helping to organise the murder of two Army corporals who drove into an IRA funeral cortege in west Belfast. Mr Finucane succeeded in getting the charges against his client dropped.

However, it is claimed a double agent passed a photograph of the solicitor taken outside the court to the UFF gunman who carried out his murder.

The double agent was Brian Nelson, who compiled information on potential targets for the UFF whilst at the same time working for British army intelligence.

The gunman was Ken Barrett, who later told the BBC Panorama's that he had carried out 10 loyalist murders. Barrett was found guilty of Mr Finucane's murder in 2004.

Two years earlier Barrett had told Panorama's John Ware, in a secretly recorded conversation, that a police officer had suggested he target Mr Finucane.

"To be honest," claimed Barrett, "Finucane would have been alive today if the peelers hadn't interfered... solicitors were kind of way taboo, if you know what I mean?

"We used a lot of Roman Catholic solicitors ourselves, they were taboo.. you didn't touch them."

Although the former Metropolitan police chief Lord Stevens found there had been collusion in the murder, Mr Finucane's family have always insisted only a full inquiry would determine how high up the chain of command responsibility ran.

The case featured in the negotiations on restoring devolution at Stormont and Tony Blair promised to set up an inquiry. However the Finucane family believed the law under which it would operate - the 2005 Inquiries Act - would enable the government to interfere and suppress unwelcome details.

Anyone sum this up for me?

About a week & half ago the council had a debate regarding the flying of the Union Jack/Union Flag over Belfast City Hall.

Most Unionists wanted it to remain flying all year round & Nationalists wanted it removed or a civic flag to replace it.

3 options were then provided to vote on

- No flags to be flown

- Union Jack/Union Flag & the Irish tricolour to be flown side by side

- Union Jack/Union Flag to be flown only on designated days (usually on certain monarch's birthdays which is 15 days a year)

They ended up voting that the Union Jack/Union Flag would only be flown on the 15 days throughout the year.

Unionists then started protesting, some peaceful protests others not so peaceful !

Funny thing is, quite a number protestants & unionists didn't even realised that the flag was there in the first place.

Like a few others have said if the media interviewed some of the protesters they probably wouldn't have a clue why they are protesting.

So to sum it all up, the protests & rioting is all over a flag !

Edited by marco10

About a week & half ago the council had a debate regarding the flying of the Union Jack/Union Flag over Belfast City Hall.

Most Unionists wanted it to remain flying all year round & Nationalists wanted it removed or a civic flag to replace it.

3 options were then provided to vote on

- No flags to be flown

- Union Jack/Union Flag & the Irish tricolour to be flown side by side

- Union Jack/Union Flag to be flown only on designated days (usually on certain monarch's birthdays which is 15 days a year)

They ended up voting that the Union Jack/Union Flag would only be flown on the 15 days throughout the year.

Unionists then started protesting' date=' some peaceful protests others not so peaceful !

Funny thing is, quite a number protestants & unionists didn't even realised that the flag was there in the first place.

Like a few others have said if the media interviewed some of the protesters they probably wouldn't have a clue why they are protesting.

So to sum it all up, the protests & rioting is all over a flag ![/quote']

Why don't both sides like each other?

Bet you can't sum that one up as easily

Why don't both sides like each other?

Bet you can't sum that one up as easily

One side wants to remain part of the United Kingdom & the other side wants a united Ireland that's why they don't like each other.

I'd say factors such as the loss of life that both sides have endured in it's mission to remain in the UK/have Ireland united, inequality,collusion,discrimination will also have had an affect on why both sides don't like each other.

Edited by marco10

These people really embarrass me sometimes.

But it really is a tiny minority on both sides that like to engage in a bit of 'Peeler Bashing'. Not surprising really when they've been brought up on "violence seems to get you what you want" for 40 odd years.

Symbolism means a lot here, and I can sort of understand a bit of peaceful protest, but fuck me over a week of this! Always wrecking their own areas too! How thick is that?

I live only 10 miles from Belfast, but it might as well be a different country. Most of us are more worried about day to day living concerns.