You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

22 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ronnie Double D's has staked his political future in a war against something he can't define. But he fucked with the Mouse and public schools in a big way so it will be interesting to see how one can position a candidate in the party of "less government involvement in muh life" after that. My hunch is that part of the plank will be quietly dropped as R's throughout the country have become far more involved in people's daily business. No one in that base really gives a shit if people that are unlike them are affected by Gubmint - both State and Federal. It is, and has always been a cloak for fundamentally fucking with citizens rights/lives. Other people. Them.

Bottom line - Ronnie needs to beat the Mouse before he gets a crack at the title. Lose to the mouse now, after all this shit, and it will be 3rd tier speaking engagements at Florida retirement homes for wor Ron.

Nice summary, cheers. 

3 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Ronnie Double D's has staked his political future in a war against something he can't define. But he fucked with the Mouse ( one of the pillars of the State's tourism) and public schools in a big way so it will be interesting to see how one can position a candidate in the party of "pro business, less government involvement in muh life" after that. My hunch is that part of the plank will be quietly dropped as R's throughout the country have become far more involved in people's daily business. No one in that base really gives a shit if people that are unlike them are affected by Gubmint - both State and Federal. It is, and has always been a cloak for fundamentally fucking with citizens rights/lives. Other people. Them.

Bottom line - Ronnie needs to beat the Mouse before he gets a crack at the title. Lose to the mouse now, after all this shit, and it will be 3rd tier speaking engagements at Florida retirement homes for wor Ron.

Mate of mine, son of a Cuban father and Puerto Rican Mother, raised in Florida would have been classed as purple.

Moved to New York when he finished college and thought of himself as a forward thinker (compared to his parents) but voted Guiliani still. 

He’s a massive anti Trumper and even his mad republican dad won’t vote for him. 

With all due respect to our American contributors, I think it's about time that all the Trumpers were corralled into the Southern States, Texas, Florida etc, and the whole lot nuked to bollocks and beyond.

It simply isn't good for evolution to have that level of stupid running around one of the largest "democracies" in the world.

I made the mistake of watching about 30 seconds of a report on BBC news about Trumpleforeskin's arrest, and his supporters, Jesus wept, what absolute wankers!

Turdseye, round yourselves up mate, it's time to be vaporised!

• Haha 2

On 30/03/2023 at 12:12, A Red said:

I'd forgotten all about you. Nice to hear from you, how's the house coming on? Looks lovely you must be close to moving in, be great to get in there for the summer. 

I can't wait, honestly. Not a union jack, orange hall, bonfire or loyalist flag in sight. And no weirdo British army folk wielding French baguettes. A nice, peaceful life out in rural Ireland awaits. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Carradona said:

I can't wait, honestly. Not a union jack, orange hall, bonfire or loyalist flag in sight. And no weirdo British army folk wielding French baguettes. A nice, peaceful life out in rural Ireland awaits. 

Sounds absolutely marvellous, when you moving in? What heating are you going for?

• 3 weeks later...

“Police Shot Atlanta Cop City Protester 57 Times, Autopsy Finds

It looks like Manuel “Tortuguita” Terán was executed by firing squad — underscoring why we must stop the massive police training center.”

“When 26-year-old Manuel “Tortuguita” Terán was shot dead by police during a brutal, multi-agency raid on the Defend Atlanta Forest, Stop Cop City encampment in January, the activist’s friends felt certain of two things: Tortuguita was murdered, and whatever narrative the police offered would be a lie.

Like clockwork, police officials claimed that Tortuguita shot first and hit a state trooper. In body camera footage that was later released — after police said none would be — one officer said that the cop had been shot by his fellow police. (Authorities dismissed the footage as speculation and said evidence did not support the remarks.)

A previous, independent autopsy ordered by Tortuguita’s family found that the activist’s hands were raised when they were shot.

Then, on Wednesday night, DeKalb County Medical Examiner’s Office released its official autopsy report, which found no trace of gunpowder residue on Tortuguita’s hands. The young activist’s body was riddled with at least 57 gunshot wounds, including in their head, torso, hands, and legs.

The medical examiner has ruled the death a homicide.” 

https://theintercept.com/2023/04/20/atlanta-cop-city-protester-autopsy/

https://jezebel.com/anti-abortion-activist-on-10-year-old-rape-victim-a-w-1850354393

Imagine being so entrenched in religion, Republican party ideology, and probably listening to the Great Replacement Theory cranks, that you'd argue for a ten-year old to go to full term with a pregnancy as a result of a rape. These people all need packing into a Space X rocket, preferably one that fails mid-flight.

• Upvote 1

I remember the divisive politics of the 1980s.  Although I was obviously more focused on British politics, it was clear that America had a similar battle going on.

The thought of a "political consensus" was a distant dream.  But it seems that in the 90s we kind of just "played" at political disagreement - Overton's quite narrow Window was all we focused on.

Then along comes Bush and I thought this was a new nadir.  Maybe it was 9/11 that really set the climate.  Then our Orange Man turned up in '16.

Brexit, Trump and the huge rise in social media engagement has led to the deepest imaginable trenches.  I know it is the extreme edges that are amplified the most on social media, but things like GBNews show that the extreme is now, to a degree, becoming the mainstream.

Obviously the "Trans issue" has really dug the trenches deeper.  

Anyway, two issues which interest me are how others treat transgenderism and how others treat Christianity.  How they misuse these to artificially further their beliefs by attaching them into places they just don't belong.

Two Twitter accounts which I find interesting.

1.  Beks.  She has daily updates of people arrested for paedophilia.  However, she only highlights Police, people associated with the "church" and people with Republican leanings.  How often does she update her account with detailed cases?  EVERY DAY.  She used to sign these off with "No transgender people were involved in this case".

2.  Right Wing Watch.  It highlights the daily rants of outlandish people with the most twisted interpretations of Christianity imaginable.  It's like Jesus never existed.  Their parameters for Christianity are basically the book of Leviticus.  If Jesus back back today they would hate him.

Anyway, for an interesting perspective on how "fucked up" America really is, these are good.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, razor said:

Then along comes Bush and I thought this was a new nadir.  Maybe it was 9/11 that really set the climate.  Then our Orange Man turned up in '16.

You left out a crucial part, 8 years of Obama and the right's racist reaction since then. That is what enabled Le Grande Orange.

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You left out a crucial part, 8 years of Obama and the right's racist reaction since then. That is what enabled Le Grande Orange.

God forbid that a 'progressive' 'democracy' (no laughing!) gets a President a little more representative of the country's varied ethnic make up.

Cannot find crime and punishment thread, but this choke hold case in New York subway.

This caught my eye today:

Lawyers for Neely's family speak to media

Donte Mills, an attorney for Jordan Neely’s family, is speaking. You can stream live at the top of this page.

Mills says “no-one on that train asked Jordan ‘what’s wrong, how can I help you.’ He was choked to death instead.”

Somehow, if I were a family of a homeless man struggling with mental illness,  I don't think I would be rushing to accuse passengers on a NY subway of indifference.

5 minutes ago, SasaS said:

Somehow, if I were a family of a homeless man struggling with mental illness,  I don't think I would be rushing to accuse passengers on a NY subway of indifference.

If you were a family member of a homeless man with mental illness what would you do instead?

1 minute ago, TheHowieLama said:

If you were a family member of a homeless man with mental illness what would you do instead?

Well, in my culture there are very few,  if any, homeless family members. If someone is family, you take care of them.

Just now, SasaS said:

Well, in my culture there are very few,  if any, homeless family members. If someone is family, you take care of them.

Not sure that answers the question - seems a little hopeful tbh, but good on ya.

Any folks with mental illness there?

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Not sure that answers the question - seems a little hopeful tbh, but good on ya.

Any folks with mental illness there?

Yes. But very few are forced to live in the street and beg.