You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

That's a world of wrong, right there.  It's an absolutely superb song.

Funny, isn't it?

I also think "I've just a seen a face" is a superb, beautiful, raw song about a kind of love that I could never hope to understand... and emblematic of a wedding I once went to in the North East, where the father of the bride said it was the song that symbolised his courtship.

• Upvote 1

What does ubiquity have to do with enjoying music?

I listen to music most days, but haven't listened to any new music for well over a decade.

I think sometimes you can get sick of the same thing.  It's like when you hear a busker or a pub band doing Brown Eyed Girl - you just want to have a word and let them know that other Van Morrison songs are available.

Not questioning that or that people like them (I like them myself). I just can't get my head round being arsed to actively seek out music that is so utterly ubiquitous.

I avoid the ubiquity and occasionally seek out The Beatles' vinyl from my shelf... putting them on my replica Crosley (with copious red wine).

That's music though isn't it mate? People have their go to albums when they're in different moods. Do you never listen back to any of your favourites?

Rarely. But it's not even that really; it's the degree of passion for a band that broke up pushing fifty years ago.

To be clear, it is not a criticism. As I said, their greatness is indisputable. I just cannot empathise with the personal importance they hold for so many people - especially those (and it's most people simply because of the timescales involved) who are too young to have been fans when these records were first released.

For me, music is a constantly evolving passion. I'm always listening to stuff that's new to me. Of course I have favourites but I rarely go back. And anyway some music is so familiar it's almost superfluous to listen to it as I can play it back in my head.

I guess it's not even just about The Beatles either; it's the fixating on one band as "the greatest" or an "all-time favourite". For me, that concept just feels so needlessly self-limiting. Music is vast and if I always went back to what I know, I'd miss out on so much more.

I'm not saying I don't recognise the concept of musical greatness because I absolutely do. For example, Prince is right up there in my estimations. However, I rarely choose to listen to Prince even though Parade is one of my favourite ever albums.

As I said though, I'm not really criticising; I'm just commenting on how differently people approach music.

I love listening to new music to; was at a great festival last weekend and saw some excellent stuff but....

Why do people still listen to Bach and Mozart, they died centuries ago?

It's because their music along with the Beatles and a few others is great. It's just amazing and every time I listen to it I hear something new

You simply cannot beat listening to Abbey Road or Revolver, they're masterpieces

• Upvote 4

to be fair, there is a little more to get your teeth into in a Mozart piece than in a typical hiphop or EDM tune.

True (don't think I've ever liked a single EDM tube I've ever heard). However that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the point I'm making.

True (don't think I've ever liked a single EDM tube I've ever heard). However that's got nothing whatsoever to do with the point I'm making.

What I was trying to say is that listening to a Mozart symphony, and most of the best classical music, requires more than one listen to take in the complexities and nuances of the music.  There's just a lot more going on, and a lot more to appreciate.

• Upvote 1

I find that weird too.

Do you just throw out your albums after you've had them for 6 months?

I can understand what you're saying but it's a bit off expecting everyone else to feel the same. I love having a drink & sticking my Zeppelin/Beatles albums on.

I avoid the ubiquity and occasionally seek out The Beatles' vinyl from my shelf... putting them on my replica Crosley (with copious red wine).

The red wine plays a part with me too. I find myself scouring YouTube for old classics after imbibing and I can highly recommend last nights offering, Ca Marrone Rosso Appassimento which is on offer in Tesco's at £6.50.

Everybody I know describes their musical tastes as Catholic or eclectic and I'm no different. I have over 5,000 individual songs/pieces of music on my ipod but having heard and appreciated all of it I still absolutely love The Beatles. I love Beethoven too and will never tire of his music so I find the argument a bit daft.  

I love them, no denying it, but I do wonder if they get a lot of love on here because they are from Liverpool. I sometimes wonder if people on other area related places forums like them as much.

Nah, they're considered one of the greats the world over.

Pink Floyd (not one of my faves) would be held in similar esteem but I'm not sure they have been quite as diverse as The Beatles.

The only other band that comes close is Queen - they've been fairly diverse over their career.

Of course, The Who, Led Zep, Abba, U2, Stones etc etc could all be argued for as greats, but not AS great, and solo artists like MJ, Madonna, Elton John etc don't count - they're not bands!

Elvis Presley's music does nothing for me, whereas i love The Beatles. 

And yes, i am well aware that the latter wouldn't have even happened without the former.   

It's all about what stirs the soul at the end of the day.  I like discovering something new but it's a rarity these days. 

I doubt i will ever tire of The Beatles back catalogue, similarly Boards of Canada, Miles Davis and Aphex Twin. You have to have a bit of variety in your life. 

• 2 weeks later...