You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

16 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Clapton made some really cockhead racist remarks back in the day didn't he? Quite ironic given the money he made from music written or originally performed by largely black artists. Didn't somebody say Bowie did at the time also?

Yeah, at the height of his alcoholism. He’s openly regretted ever since, and while a lot of his black contemporaries rightly shunned him at the time, a lot still stood by him and forgave him. He’s gone the right way in trying to continue to repair that damage (if he could ever truly repair it) 

The only people that seem to have not forgiven are people who only found out about all this during Covid and ignore the fact that his alcoholism and addiction problems being a contributing factor to that behaviour as prior to that point he had been pretty sound. His dark days most definitely, that will forever linger and be attached to his legacy. There are many an artist from that era who didn’t cover themselves in glory. 

His music went to shit after 461 Ocean Boulevard anyway. 

3 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Walk the Line and Elvis are decent I reckon. 

Not seen the first one as I have zero interest in Johnny Cash & won't be watching the second one either, I'd rather stick some Elvis music on and read a book about him. The trailer looked woeful.

The ones I have seen have been pretty laughable, they never seem to get the live music to look or sound remotely authentic.

Just now, Mook said:

Not seen the first one as I have zero interest in Johnny Cash & won't be watching the second one either, I'd rather stick some Elvis music on and read a book about him. The trailer looked woeful.

The ones I have seen have been pretty laughable, they never seem to get the live music to look or sound remotely authentic.

Ha, oh right. 

7 hours ago, Skidfingers McGonical said:

He was, and a lot people forget that.

He was that arsed he stayed best mates with Clapton. 

I heard an interview with Harrison at some point where he said something like he loved them both and wanted.their happiness, so if she was to cheat with someone, he was glad it was with him. 

7 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Clapton made some really cockhead racist remarks back in the day didn't he? Quite ironic given the money he made from music written or originally performed by largely black artists. Didn't somebody say Bowie did at the time also?

Bowie never made any racist comments, that I'm aware of, but he did make some very ill-judged comments about the power of Nazi aesthetics (which were misreported as admiration for the Nazis).

Clapton was a horrible cunt when he was drinking and led him publicly going on an "Enoch was right" rant, which led to the creation of Rock Against Racism.

• 1 month later...
On 28/02/2024 at 12:54, TheHowieLama said:

Why - his penmanship is fuckin ace.

I'm off to create a Slowhand font.

You'll be short on capital letters. He seems to actively avoid them.

25 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Pardon my ignorance as I wasn't a John Lennon solo career fan,McCartney neither to be fair. But did that turn into a full blooded Lennon song?

Yeah. Imo its one of his most underrated compositions. His voice is great on this record.

• Upvote 1

On 29/02/2024 at 14:03, Mook said:

I quite liked Val Kilmer trampling Meg Ryan's duck to death (again) in The Doors, and Billy Idol sneering at Kyle Mclachlan.  I think.

• 3 weeks later...
On 18/02/2024 at 10:31, TheHowieLama said:

Sir Paul McCartney has been reunited with the bass guitar he used on Beatles hits including Love Me Do and She Loves You, 51 years after it was stolen from the back of a van in London.

The Höfner bass was found in a family's attic in Sussex thanks to a search by a project called the Lost Bass.

Sir Paul bought the guitar in 1961. It was taken in west London in 1972.

A spokesperson for the former Beatle said he was "incredibly grateful" for its return.

The hunt began after the star urged Höfner to find his beloved instrument. The bass was used on Love Me Do and She Loves You.

Following an appeal for information by the Lost Bass search project, a family living in a terraced house in Sussex contacted the team remembering they had an old bass guitar in their attic.

A 12-string guitar played by Beatles stars John Lennon and George Harrison and thought to have been lost for almost 60 years is going up for auction.

The acoustic Framus “Hootenanny” was used by the band in 1965, featuring in recordings, sessions and performances of songs including “Help!” “You’ve Got To Hide Your Love Away” and “It’s Only Love,” according to California-based auction house Julien’s Auctions.

After that, Lennon gave the guitar to a friend, who passed it on to someone “who took the guitar home, tossed it in the attic, and gave it nary a thought for decades,” the auction house said in a statement published Wednesday.

When it was found, the guitar was in such a bad state that it wasn’t playable, according to the auction house, which decided to restore it.

Julien’s entrusted the job to Ryan Schuermann of LA Guitar Repair, who “performed a masterful neck reset that’s nearly undetectable, a beautiful repair of the top, steam and heat treatment of the bridge… all to ensure the Hootenanny would be playable not just for now, but for decades to come.”

The guitar will go under the hammer as part of Julien’s Auctions “Music Icons” event, which will take place at the Hard Rock Cafe in New York City on May 29-30.

It is expected to set a world record for the most expensive Beatles guitar, the auction house said.

That record is currently held by a 1962 Gibson J-160E, which Lennon used to record ”I Want to Hold Your Hand” and other early Beatles hits, which sold for $2.4 million at Julien’s in November 2015.