You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The McCanns...

Chris

There's plenty of evidence in the Portuguese police files.  It's obvious that the UK government cut a deal with the Portuguese authorities for them to drop the case. 

If Kate McCannn was genuinely the mother of an abducted child she wouldn't have given a no comment interview.  A parent who was genuinely in distress and under the belief that their child had been abducted wouldn't give a no comment interview.   They would answer every question, in the hope that it would assist the authorities in finding the missing child.  The parent would be completely consumed by guilt and the pain of not knowing where their child is, to the exclusion of all other considerations.  

Instead, the McCanns concentrate on deflecting blame from themselves by talking about shutters being jemmied (part of their story they later changed).

It is obvious from the language they use that they have already processed Madeleine's death and have come to terms with it.  For example, they often refer to her in the past tense. 

• Upvote 1

It seems to me that the evidence against the McCanns for manslaughter/murder is pretty slim. Please do not cite cadaver dogs. They can smell something relating to death/decay. They cannot identify who it was or when. They would smell the same thing in the vast majority of homes because someone will have died in it. The DNA tests on the car etc did not produce results.

The parents are clearly terrible parents and the child had to pay for it by being abducted, abused and murdered by a predatory paedophile.

I know someone who worked at the practice of the wife in this case . They said she was rather nice. The husband however, nobody has anything nice to say about him

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/48-questions-kate-mccann-refused-to-answer-madeleine-disappearance-portugal-a7710111.html

Just for a start. I haven't watched the video above, but I presume it contains the details about blood and cadaver being identified.

I am amazed that anyone can read the available evidence and think that she may still be alive, and that the McCann's were not at least complicit.

The video calls on the McCanns to prove they're innocent, . I thought the general idea was find evidence to charge them with a crime, 

• Upvote 2

There's plenty of evidence in the Portuguese police files. It's obvious that the UK government cut a deal with the Portuguese authorities for them to drop the case.

If Kate McCannn was genuinely the mother of an abducted child she wouldn't have given a no comment interview. A parent who was genuinely in distress and under the belief that their child had been abducted wouldn't give a no comment interview. They would answer every question, in the hope that it would assist the authorities in finding the missing child. The parent would be completely consumed by guilt and the pain of not knowing where their child is, to the exclusion of all other considerations.

Instead, the McCanns concentrate on deflecting blame from themselves by talking about shutters being jemmied (part of their story they later changed).

It is obvious from the language they use that they have already processed Madeleine's death and have come to terms with it. For example, they often refer to her in the past tense.

Again not arguing but find it unlikely that the UK government would intervene in a foreign police investigation into the murder of a child.Why? What is there to gain politically compared to the fury and scandal if exposed. Plus doubt the foreign coppers would simply give it up on the say so of political interference. Someone would blow the whistle. It’s a cute little girl.

Using amateur psychological profiling to explain reluctance to answer questions and extrapolating this to imply guilt is dodgy at best. She was interviewed as a suspect. It is perfectly reasonable to not want to participate in that charade considering it is regarding the murder of your own kid of which you were innocent and the investigation is being carried out by a force in which you have no confidence and are looking for a scapegoat.

Again interpretation of body language and perceived obstructiveness and diversionary actions is the realm of the proffesional investigator not the amateur psychologist who has no first hand knowledge or experience of either the person, situation or context in which it occurred.

I admit my thoughts are that a tragedy occurred that night of which we do not no the full facts but to determine guilt from a dog and weird character actions of the parents goes a long way short of many of the conclusions people seem happy to jump to.

• Upvote 2

Again not arguing but find it unlikely that the UK government would intervene in a foreign police investigation into the murder of a child.Why? What is there to gain politically compared to the fury and scandal if exposed. Plus doubt the foreign coppers would simply give it up on the say so of political interference. Someone would blow the whistle. It’s a cute little girl.

Using amateur psychological profiling to explain reluctance to answer questions and extrapolating this to imply guilt is dodgy at best. She was interviewed as a suspect. It is perfectly reasonable to not want to participate in that charade considering it is regarding the murder of your own kid of which you were innocent and the investigation is being carried out by a force in which you have no confidence and are looking for a scapegoat.

Again interpretation of body language and perceived obstructiveness and diversionary actions is the realm of the proffesional investigator not the amateur psychologist who has no first hand knowledge or experience of either the person, situation or context in which it occurred.

I admit my thoughts are that a tragedy occurred that night of which we do not no the full facts but to determine guilt from a dog and weird character actions of the parents goes a long way short of many of the conclusions people seem happy to jump to.

As I say, I'm not here to change your mind - nothing I say will do that. 

There's a whole stack of evidence in the Portuguese police files.  The video based on Amaral's book is enough to convince me personally that she's dead and the parents know what happened.

I admit I am being lazy here but could you list A, Evidence she is dead B. Evidence the parents did it or were complicit.

I ask because it is up to accusers to present evidence of guilt to back up allegations.

I admit I am being lazy here but could you list A, Evidence she is dead B. Evidence the parents did it or were complicit.

I ask because it is up to accusers to present evidence of guilt to back up allegations.

No, because we're having a chat on the internet, not in a court of law.

If you really want to know, look it up on youtube.

I'm happy to take Goncalo Amaral for his word.  His view is that the child is dead and that the parents know what happened, I believe him.  So as a starting point watch The Truth of the Lie and take it from there.

I'm not going to the lengths of typing all my views here, it would take too long.

So your view is based on one guys opinion. Admittedly a senior investigator but one man who was selling a book and doing lots of tv and publicity work to promote it. His crime scene was a mess. His investigation flawed and the lack of professionalism shown by officers under his command probably led to who ever is guilty of this never facing justice.

I would suggest it would be in his interests to argue that the case was obvious and he did his job correctly. I would also argue that he is as guilty if not more so of the deflection of attention from his ineptitude that you are happy to accuse the mother of. Bearing in mind she is a mother who has lost a child and he a senior police officer I would find his action much more defensive and unexplainable than hers. If I was leading this investigation and made a complete arse of it from day one I would be more than keen to identify any small aspect of the case which may lay the blame and guilt at the feet of any suspect I could use.

We are having a chat on the internet and this is not a court of law but is that not the point. To assume someone’s guilt even on the internet needs to be based on indisputable facts. I see none.

So your view is based on one guys opinion. Admittedly a senior investigator but one man who was selling a book and doing lots of tv and publicity work to promote it. His crime scene was a mess. His investigation flawed and the lack of professionalism shown by officers under his command probably led to who ever is guilty of this never facing justice.

I would suggest it would be in his interests to argue that the case was obviously and he did his job correctly. I would also argue that he is as guilty if not more so of the deflection of attention from his ineptitude that you are happy to accuse the mother of. Bearing in mind she is a mother who has lost a child and he a senior police officer I would find his action much more defensive and unexplainable than hers. If I was leading this investigation and made a complete arse of it from day one I would be more than keen to identify any small aspect of the case which may lay the blame and guilt at the feet of any suspect I could use.

We are having a chat on the internet and this is not a court of law but is that not the point. To assume someone’s guilt even on the internet needs to be based on indisputable facts. I see none.

No, not just his view although his alone is enough to convince me. 

I don't think he made a "complete arse" of the investigation.  I think he was on the right lines when he made the parents persons of interests, I think he was red hot when he got a no comment interview out of Kate McCann and believe he would have loved to have finished the job before the rug was pulled from under him.

If Amaral was happy to blame any suspect, as you say, why did they drop the case against Robert Murat and home in on the parents?

No, not just his view although his alone is enough to convince me.

I don't think he made a "complete arse" of the investigation. I think he was on the right lines when he made the parents persons of interests, I think he was red hot when he got a no comment interview out of Kate McCann and believe he would have loved to have finished the job before the rug was pulled from under him.

If Amaral was happy to blame any suspect, as you say, why did they drop the case against Robert Murat and home in on the parents?

Amaral was himself an arguido in relation to his investigation of another case, the disappearance of Joana Cipriano. One day after Madeleine's disappearance, Amaral was made arguido, and a month later he was charged with making a false statement. Four other officers were charged with assault. Eight-year-old Joana had vanished in 2004 from Figueira, seven miles (11 km) from Praia da Luz. Her body was never found, and no murder weapon was identified. Her mother and the mother's brother were convicted of her murder after confessing, but the mother retracted her confession, saying she had been beaten by police. Amaral was not present when the beating is alleged to have taken place, but he was accused of having covered up for others. The other detectives were acquitted. Amaral was convicted of perjury in May 2009 and received an 18-month suspended sentence.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disappearance_of_Madeleine_McCann

Sounds the reliable type to believe. Rather than two Doctors with no previous or direct evidence against them.