You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 31/05/24 at 13:10

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Alonso

De Zerbi

Frank

Amorim

Would you actually want Thomas Frank?

He fits in at a club where there is a philosophy above him and he seems like a good character, but I wouldn't say he has massively overachieved or that his football is particularly great. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Would you actually want Thomas Frank?

He fits in at a club where there is a philosophy above him and he seems like a good character, but I wouldn't say he has massively overachieved or that his football is particularly great. 

For the purposes of the joke, sure.

(He'd also be on the list somewhere because stylistically it's similar and he's done well at Brentford, but mainly the jokes).

I think listening to Thomas Frank is quite good, he explains the game well, and he’s pretty honest in his assessment of the games.

His football is the worst in the league though, and his team are the only worthy opponents to Newcastle in terms of time wasting. 

I doubt he would massively change his football with better players. Hard pass from me.

Xabi is the only one I would be mildly comfortable with, even if I am already longing for Klopp to change his mind.

Is giving it Ljinders madness at least until Xabi has more experience under his belt. I'm all over the place. Yeah Ljinders has no real experience as the number one but what we've built so far he has been through it all and even been the biggest voice for some key players. Shiiiiiiiiiiit

2 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If we decide not to go for Alonso then he isn't there after the next one, he'll be at Bayern/Madrid or one of a number of other clubs.

Yeah this is the problem isn't it? We have to go for it imo. If it doesn't work out then so be it. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

Yeah this is the problem isn't it? We have to go for it imo. If it doesn't work out then so be it. 

It was always the risk with Klopp going in 2026, while it's clearly the preferred option of everyone, if he didn't renew in 2026 then the management market was that bit more difficult and some of the options available to us now might not be options then.

If people think there weren't many options now I don't think it gets easier in 2026.

• Upvote 1

Although id be more than happy with Xabi, I think Carlo would be great for us. Got the calibre to keep the squad happy and imagine the absolute lunacy from our friends accross the park if we cleaned up with him. 

3 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Is giving it Ljinders madness at least until Xabi has more experience under his belt. I'm all over the place. Yeah Ljinders has no real experience as the number one but what we've built so far he has been through it all and even been the biggest voice for some key players. Shiiiiiiiiiiit

Can't see the logic in that. Don't pick Alonso because of his lack of experience and instead hire someone with less? And then what if ljinders does enough to keep a job, but not enough overall? It makes it hard to sack him. And from his perspective does he want a failed 12 months on his CV from Liverpool? I'm sure he'd take the chance if he was given the job properly, but to be a caretaker? I don't see it. 

We either suck it up with Alonso's lack of experience or we move on and rule out any of those managers who've achieved little. Which depending where you set that bar, could be just about everyone on the list! It's not like amorim or de zerbi have a lot on their CV. 

It's why I think FSG will go for nagelsmann in the end. 

I think ultimately we're looking to get in early with the next generation of top manager, at the moment if we were looking at who we think is going to be the next Guardiola or Klopp (next great young manager wise, not personality or style) then Xabi is going to be most people's guess, even when taking any sentimentality out of the equation. If the time line fell slightly differently with Rogers falling short and Jurgen being a free agent at the same time then the last 9 years looks very different for us and also looks very different for another club. 

As it stands Jurgen is leaving at the same time most of the other top clubs have a settled manager, so we either pull the trigger now, or wait and he potentially ends up being a great manager elsewhere. 

23 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

We either suck it up with Alonso's lack of experience or we move on and rule out any of those managers who've achieved little. Which depending where you set that bar, could be just about everyone on the list! It's not like amorim or de zerbi have a lot on their CV. 

It's why I think FSG will go for nagelsmann in the end. 

I think that would be a bad case of hedging their bets. I’m just not seeing it with Nagelsmann - there’s nothing that stands out as outstanding or has ever suggested he might be the next big thing. He got a disproportionate amount of hype at one time because he was the Doogie Howser of Bundesliga management. He had a couple of good seasons at Hoffenheim, was broadly on par with Hassenhuttl and Rangnick at Leipzig and was then adjudged by Bayern not to be worth carrying on with. 

If Alonso is up for it, I can’t think of any real reason not to give it to him unless Klopp changes his mind. All the other contenders are flawed in one way or another, so I’d much rather take a chance on someone who might be something special than go for a ‘safe’ choice.

3 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I think that would be a bad case of hedging their bets. I’m just not seeing it with Nagelsmann - there’s nothing that stands out as outstanding or has ever suggested he might be the next big thing. He got a disproportionate amount of hype at one time because he was the Doogie Howser of Bundesliga management. He had a couple of good seasons at Hoffenheim, was broadly on par with Hassenhuttl and Rangnick at Leipzig and was then adjudged by Bayern not to be worth carrying on with. 

If Alonso is up for it, I can’t think of any real reason not to give it to him unless Klopp changes his mind. All the other contenders are flawed in one way or another, so I’d much rather take a chance on someone who might be something special than go for a ‘safe’ choice.

I agree all the candidates appear flawed. Alonso would probably be my choice from the outside, but I realise also that it's inevitable I would have a level of emotion about that decision, even if I tried not to. In fact it absolutely is, because I'm unable to keep it out. 

I think there seems about 10 fellas out there who as observers you can make good cases for and against. But there's more to the process. They'll want to speak to many of them, they'll want to do their homework on character. I feel FSG are naturally risk averse. John Henry earnt his money managing risk in the derivatives markets. It's not normally a market where there are big reward for punts, not over the long term, it's all about as many sure bets as possible. Alonso hasn't had to manage a bad spell with some expectations yet. It's a critical part of management and I just don't see that being a level of risk FSG will take. 

So I'm not saying nagelsmann is the best choice or indeed my choice. In fact I'd love it to be Alonso, because my gut tells me he is going to be great because of all the things I've heard of his management style and what we know of him at Liverpool. But I don't think FSG will go on their guts and they certainly won't have the knowledge and emotion of Alonso's time at the club. They'll want to find a way to measure all the candidates and unfortunately there's not a lot of data to measure with Alonso. 

Thomas Frank for Liverpool?  The only things that would improve are our dead ball situations and our financial savings on the 3 for 2 deals on boxes of Wringley from the cash and carry.  Everything else would go backwards and fall apart.

His chewing irritates me.

I've gone for Xabi because it seemed natural to.

But after yesterday's performance, I'm wondering if Pep Lijnders could do it.  I know the absence of the big voice makes a sweeping change more likely, but when I saw him interacting with Bradley, I felt a tinge that we'd be losing him, too.

If its Thomas Frank I'm leaving with Klopp. If their main criteria is who can do it cheapest then its going to go tits up. I've seen a couple of articles saying frank has big admirers at Liverpool. The new man has to inspire at least a bit surely, we need some kind of buzz. It can't just be cold spreadsheet shit alone. 

34 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

If it’s Thomas Frank I'm leaving with Klopp. If their main criteria is who can do it cheapest then it’s going to go tits up. I've seen a couple of articles saying frank has big admirers at Liverpool. The new man has to inspire at least a bit surely, we need some kind of buzz. It can't just be cold spreadsheet shit alone. 

Yep. If they do go for an uninspiring choice, then it’s going to end up going full Hodgson a few months in.

The absolute last thing we want is a bungled, drab appointment where the writing is on the wall from day one because the reality is that we’ll probably be looking for a new manager come the middle of next season, and by that point it’s going to be a lot harder to get it right.