You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Our next manager, your choice, the poll.

Code

Who do you want as our next manager? The poll.  

214 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as our new manager

• Xabi Alonso
    • Didier Deschamps
    • Zinedine Zidane
    • Pep Guardiola
    • Pep Lijnders
    • Steven Gerrard
    • Luis Enrique
    • Michel Sánchez
    • Roberto De Zerbi
    • Carlo Ancelotti
    • Other

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/24 at 13:10

5 minutes ago, Rick Sanchez C-137 said:

De Zerbi is probably a better fit with experience in this league etc. But heart says Alonso, obviously.

It can be swings and roundabouts though can't it? Alonso understands the demands of being at elite level clubs having played for 3 of the world's biggest clubs. And while it was a long time ago, Alonso has played here, so knows the league and has lived locally. And with all he's achieved in the game as a player, he will get the respect of the dressing room. I don't think either of them are perfect right now, but there's cases to be made.for both. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

It can be swings and roundabouts though can't it? Alonso understands the demands of being at elite level clubs having played for 3 of the world's biggest clubs. And while it was a long time ago, Alonso has played here, so knows the league and has lived locally. And with all he's achieved in the game as a player, he will get the respect of the dressing room. I don't think either of them are perfect right now, but there's cases to be made.for both. 

Alonso won't like the tax though

• Upvote 2

I reckon De Zerbi or Alonso are the obvious choices, though I was listening to a podcast today that made a good case for the Sporting manager, Amorim. Just went and looked it up and he has a 70% win record there, which is pretty good for the 3rd biggest club in the country.

10 hours ago, lifetime fan said:

There’s a distinct lack of top quality managers around at the moment. 

You think that's a good or bad thing for us? I agree with you btw

Pep will be gone soon, city might be fucked before that anyway, so does this give any new up and coming manager more of a chance to be successful?

If pep and Klopp stayed for another 5 years, they'd have no chance, when both aren't here the necessity to hit 95 points isn't there.

I've gone for De Zerbi. He knows the league, is hugely driven, a great coach/tactician, has very high standards and interviews about him talk about his huge desire to be successful and many people think he's going to the top. Much less of a risk than Alonso.

At some clubs the manager is really the first team coach and that is it. At a huge club like Liverpool, especially Liverpool, historically as the manager, you are the face and voice of the club. The boss. 

De Zerbi and a few others mentioned seem like coaches. Alonso has the charisma and gravitas to be a coach and manager of Liverpool Football Club. 

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

You think that's a good or bad thing for us? I agree with you btw

Both.

The lack of a standout manager makes it more exciting and discovering/giving the opportunity to the next great manager is always more exciting than giving it to someone who's been there and seen it all, It also comes with more risk and less assurance.

I find watching the Ancelotti's and Mourinhos shuffling around endless top clubs and feigning love as boring as the inevitable carousel of Allardyce, Dyche et al peddling their wares to relegation threatened clubs.

2 hours ago, Razoray said:

At some clubs the manager is really the first team coach and that is it. At a huge club like Liverpool, especially Liverpool, historically as the manager, you are the face and voice of the club. The boss. 

De Zerbi and a few others mentioned seem like coaches. Alonso has the charisma and gravitas to be a coach and manager of Liverpool Football Club. 

Yeah, it's no coincidence that klopp was loved so quickly, despite having a go at the fans at times - it was what was needed and we knew it. He was what we look for in a character of a manager. Over those barren years without the league we've had some good managers, but at times I think they have struggled with what is expected of them in bringing the fans with them. It makes it a difficult appointment because our manager has to manage everything - fans, coaches, scouting groups and of course the players. And when you have klopp as a leader, it makes life.much, much easier for those working in commercial operations. The only problem he brings for them is his preseason demands. 

I find it all so difficult to know who would be a good choice next. Alonso is a cool cat and knows us, is doing a fine job, but his experience is very limited. Then after him? I don't know, there's no current stand out for me, although I'm no expert. People have thrown in names like Martinez and Deschamps as jokes, but we know FSG have looked at them seriously in the past, so there's every chance they'll be in the running again. With how the game is today, the way people take their news and information through the socials, whoever has our job needs to work in that setting. Then just needs to be the best coach in the world too. 

I reckon Guardiola would love to be our manager. I'd sound him out, see if he's interested. He'd need to quit City first though because there's no way they'd let him talk to us.

Get everything agreed with him on the quiet, let him quit City and say he's achieved everything and needs a fresh challenge. The only thing is we'd need to keep it all hush hush and not let City have any sniff of what's going on until the day he comes in to sign the contract.

And on that day I'd have the press conference unveiling Alonso.

• Haha 7
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Razoray said:

Absolutely this.

Considering how overrated Klopp is supposed to be according to other fans the absolute delight many of them are showing that he's leaving speaks volumes.

They are so sure we are on a downward spiral now. Look at our current squad and its age, we have the platform to achieve tonnes still. 

11 hours ago, Razoray said:

Yeah, this. People seem to underestimate having an aura and charisma whereas I think it’s fucking gold dust. If you can establish yourself as a manager who inspires and gets that much extra out of your players, you’re among an elite few. It can be lost if you stop being successful (see: Mourinho) but while you have it it’s priceless.

Tactics can be learned and replicated, but instilling absolute belief in your players that they can go above and beyond? Nope, and that’s why I think this is absolutely the wrong job for, as you put it, a ‘coach’ like De Zerbi or a known quantity at smaller clubs like Emery.

14 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Yeah, this. People seem to underestimate having an aura and charisma whereas I think it’s fucking gold dust. If you can establish yourself as a manager who inspires and gets that much extra out of your players, you’re among an elite few. It can be lost if you stop being successful (see: Mourinho) but while you have it it’s priceless.

Tactics can be learned and replicated, but instilling absolute belief in your players that they can go above and beyond? Nope, and that’s why I think this is absolutely the wrong job for, as you put it, a ‘coach’ like De Zerbi or a known quantity at smaller clubs like Emery.

It's also handy when trying to recruit. As we've seen with Klopp, players will want to play for certain managers that have "it".

20 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Would you say Guardiola has charisma?

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Would you say Guardiola has charisma?

In a weird way, yes. He certainly has an aura thanks to the start he got at Barcelona, and he’s done well / taken the right jobs to maintain and cultivate that.

I suspect he might end up in a Mourinho spiral if he took a job that didn’t work out and was forced to be less selective, but I have a feeling he’s too savvy for that and would rather retire with his reputation intact than take a risk.