You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Arsenal 0 Liverpool 2 - Match Reaction

No Van Dijk, no Salah, no problem. The Reds advanced to the next round after a smash and grab win against a profligate Arsenal side who should have been out of sight by half time, but if you let Klopp's mentality monsters stay in the game then this is what happens. 

TLW Editor Dave Usher is joined by Paul Natton and Julian Richards to revel in one of the more satisfying wins of the season so far, and to look ahead to the midweek semi final against Fulham.

View full article

• Upvote 10

• dave u pinned this topic

Any time I see/hear a discussion of Ten Jarg's fate at Man Utd, I always think on how there is only one man out there who could whip that dysfunctional club into shape. You can add Arsenal's goalkeeping woes to that discussion. I'm sure Dave was pretty phlegmatic about Liverpool's goalkeeping situation before Alisson on the basis that there wasn't any superstar out there who could transform the fortunes of the Reds. Well, there was and he has. Good luck to Arsenal finding anyone in the same class.

24 minutes ago, UnwelcomeinPeru said:

A great listen for the dog walk, as usual, regarding Arsenal's keepers, is Raya on loan at Arsenal? I thought he might be (for some reason, maybe a FFP thing)?

Yeah it's currently a loan - I think they've agreed a future fee. 

Pepe Reina gets off really lightly when it comes to our bad goalie discussions. There was 2-year spell before he left where he just didn't save a fucking thing. He might have been the actual worst goalie I've seen for us in that respect.

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

Pepe Reina gets off really lightly when it comes to our bad goalie discussions. There was 2-year spell before he left where he just didn't save a fucking thing. He might have been the actual worst goalie I've seen for us in that respect.

Screenshot_20240108_192618_Meme Generator.jpg

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Thats a crazy take, as Ive shows on here before.

Not bothering picking it apart one more time, its too long ago now. 

• Upvote 1

Great listen again - thank you!

Just one point.  I think I would have been a bit annoyed if we hadn't have scored the second goal.  The performance would have definitely come under the "smash and grab" category at 0-1, but that hilarious second probably elevated it to "professional" performance.

I say hilarious because I haven't laughed more than I've cheered a goal as much since Bobby's seventh last March.

• Upvote 2

44 minutes ago, Code said:

Thats a crazy take, as Ive shows on here before.

Not bothering picking it apart one more time, its too long ago now. 

I'm not really fussed whether you do or not. Bloke was fat and garbage in the last years of his contract. A total fucking loser.

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Chris said:

I'm not really fussed whether you do or not. Bloke was fat and garbage in the last years of his contract. A total fucking loser.

Was he not outspoken about Cancer and Aids? 

Unlike certain local heroes? 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Chris said:

Yep, fucker went down in instalments in his last couple of years, the fact that when we signed him Mignolet was an improvement says it all.

12 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Was he not outspoken about Cancer and Aids? 

Unlike certain local heroes? 

And then he went and spoiled it all,

By saying something stupid,

Like 'I'm a fascist'.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Chris said:

Yes obviously.

In fact he was so poor that the members of TLW, YNWA, 6CM, Est1892, Scouser Tommy and Irish Kop had him down as number 4 in the player of the season game for 12/13 that Morse had going on several different forums back in those days.

The majority  could obviously have overestimated his performances all season, or they knew that 17 clean sheets did not come by themselves and judged him on his actual performances instead of some fucked up myth.

1 hour ago, Creator Supreme said:

Yep, fucker went down in instalments in his last couple of years, the fact that when we signed him Mignolet was an improvement says it all.

Mignolet would hardly be an improvement on a fucking training cone. 

• Upvote 2

14 hours ago, Chris said:

He was a very good goalkeeper for 4 or 5 years. At one point he was probably the best in the league in fact. But he then fell off a cliff, aided and abetted by some weight gain. But in terms of worst goalkeepers, he's not in the same league as Westerveld (I know I won't get universal agreement here) and that David James dipshit. 

And seeing as his name has come up - Mignolet was what Mignolet was. He was a good goalkeeper who was a level below what we required and was ill fitting because he was not the best with his feet and football had very much become about goalkeepers using the ball. However, he's not even close to the conversation for worst. Given that we signed him to do a job that he wasn't particularly well set up to do, I think history should judge Mignolet reasonably kindly. 

• Upvote 4

Great Pod lads. Interesting numbers I heard elsewhere that may allay some fears over 4 competitionls, Arsenal have 8 players that have played more minutes than any of our players. On average their starting 11 have 21% more minutes in the legs than our equivalent. Despite all the games we're actually better placed than previous years, the europa league has been huge in this respect. 

• Upvote 4

• dave u unpinned this topic