You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

AUDIO RELEASED:

Nelly-Szoboszlai

I can't wait to see how the media etc defend this absolutely shambolic, chaotic, disorganised, unprofessional mess....

The biggest sport in the world and the self proclaimed 'best league' in it - officiated like a kick about between mates in a backstreet.

They need to put in place a range of procedural things that have to be followed to the letter and ensure they are.

These clowns are doing what they like, how they like whilst calling each other by nicknames, talking over each other, sucking each others cocks and doing things in a chaotic way....it is like 4 kids working in mcdonalds who have put a cheeseburger in an order instead of a big mac....

It is totally unacceptable and indefensible.

They need to clean it up - use clear, unambiguous and consistent language and have checks in place to ensure what is being checked is fully understood, what decisions are being made are fully understood and agreed by all - using standardised language.

14 minutes ago, Jennings said:

If Webb wants to suspend someone, then the person responsible is the on-pitch referee. The others are just assistants.

Now we have seen how Webb runs his ship, he needs to go. It is unacceptable. There is no trust anymore. 

No-one can be asked to respect that.

Yeah, his input was almost zero during that process . Him and England should be put out to grass.

2 hours ago, Jurgen Knows said:

Pigs … they would have corrected it had it not been us … can’t do anything my arse!

They were literally given permission to correct it by Oli (VAR Ops Executive) but chose not to. Given the evidence, it’s my view now that the game should be declared null and void, and replayed - however, in view of the red cards incurring punishments that wont be undone, maybe the best scenario, is to declare the game a 2-2 draw and points shared.

5 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Yeah, his input was almost zero during that process . Him and England should be put out to grass.

I am convinced England did this deliberately.

There is something wrong with his whole time in that audio and how he reacts.

Staying silent and what i consider pretending he doesn't know what was going on when the operator kept saying and repeating this is wrong - but then suddenly and magically waking up when "Oli" tried to stop the game.

I feel he knew what he was doing.

• Upvote 1

"VAR Ops Executive"!!!! There's an 'executive' among them?! Shitting shite! Can you imagine any of them at home? 'I've put the kettle on...Oh oh, there's steam...There's steam coming out the top!...Pull the plug, I repeat, pull the plug, something has gone wrong - Oli!!!' What 'learnings' are these skull squatters going to be able to absorb? 'Don't let the door hit your arse on your way out'? That would be ten weeks, at least.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Staying silent and what i consider pretending he doesn't know what was going on when the operator kept saying and repeating this is wrong - but then suddenly and magically waking up when "Oli" tried to stop the game.

Did they have a TV monitor there at all? It sounds like they only had a radio. Or maybe a mime artiste. As you say, it makes no sense, unless they're all mentally ill, how they are reacting.

1 minute ago, an tha said:

I was reading a comment section in The Athletic and a Palace fan had a full on go at him and how he had shafted Palace . Watched a clip on ESPN and that French fella Jules just called out Hooper as a bad referee.

Just now, gkmacca said:

Did they have a TV monitor there at all? It sounds like they only had a radio. Or maybe a mime artiste. As you say, it makes no sense, unless they're all mentally ill, how they are reacting.

Aye they have their own live feed.....seems that consists of being fed copious amounts of alcohol until they are an incoherent rabble.

Seemed to be in a rush to complete the check and get restarted, and then acted dumb when told to delay..."pardon" - as if pretending not to comprehend and even deliberately allowing the play to go on longer. Then suddenly quick again to reject the call to delay.

The whole thing contradicts what was put out yesterday that they had given onside assuming that was the on field decision also. But in the video they are confirming offside the whole time until the operator points out the "error".

This is why they stopped showing the lines being drawn, and why they don't want refs to be mic'd up. It pulls back the curtain to reveal them too clearly. No wizards of VAR, just Daz and co being prodded by a YTS boy who knows how to operate MS Paint.

If people still see conspiracy here, fair enough, but I think that's giving the figures involved far too much credit.   

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Elite said:

It's like listening to a bunch of students working in the KFC drive thru when they forget to put the gravy in.

39 minutes ago, an tha said:

it is like 4 kids working in mcdonalds who have put a cheeseburger in an order instead of a big mac....

I'm sticking with the gravy analogy - far bigger fuck up.

2 hours ago, an tha said:

Listened to it 3 times now and something really strikes me....

There is something IMO wrong with the tone of Darren England....He does not come across as arsed in the slightest.

If you had fucked up big style especially knowing the magnitude of it and how much it will be in the spotlight IMO your reaction would be a lot different. He almost sounded deliberately defensive to me, like he knew he was cheating us and had been caught out by the other feller - but was then downplaying it and just wanting it over.

At best, he just wasn’t arsed he had made a massive and high profile error - at worst he knew exactly what he was doing.

It was not the reaction of a man who had suddenly been told there was a massive fuck up he was at fault for.

I disagree with you. To me it sounds exactly like a man who realises he’s fucked up, but is in an organisation where the natural order of things (that has been drummed into them) is to circle the wagons and be defensive and has the arrogance that their decision is final and most important.

the “oh fuck” is genuine, as it the involuntary noise that comes before it. 

the defensive, arrogant tone follows. That’s the bravado of and English premier league referee. His natural, initial reaction was the honest bit.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, CapeRed said:

Behind a pay wall sadly

I must have had a freebie...

Paywall still there?Try archive.today

The VAR release is remarkable - Darren England hid behind the laws instead of doing the right thing

Choosing not to review the blatantly wrong Var decision goes against the spirit of the game

KEITH HACKETT3 October 2023 • 8:51pmKeith Hackett

Darren England - The Var release is remarkable - Darren England hid behind the laws instead of doing the right thing

It was remarkable to listen to the audio release of the Var conversations that took place during Liverpool’s defeat to Tottenham on Saturday. The staggering incompetence was laid bare for everyone to see and hear - it’s a terrible look for everyone involved, not least the PGMOL and Darren England, the Var at the centre of the controversy.

I can guarantee to you that if this conversation was played over the tannoy systems around Premier League grounds across the country, this type of mistake would never be made again. There would have been riots had fans heard what was going on at Tottenham’s stadium. If officials knew that their conversations would be made public, live, then that would focus the minds completely and you can be sure no errors like this would be made.

It comes down to protocol, once again. It is clear that there is no protocol in place for dealing with these types of situations - something as simple as a tick box system should be used to ensure people know what they’re looking for, or at. Is this a check for offside? Is this a check for a red card? What is the referee’s on field decision? Lay it out in simple terms.

When Howard Webb’s first show came out that released recordings of past incidents, it was evident to me that it was a load of garbage to be honest with you. The conversations were so garbled, and it just felt so confused. I didn’t even see the need for lines to be drawn on this one, as it was so clear Luis Diaz was onside.

Honestly, I could not believe what I was listening to when the PGMOL released what happened - it’s a good thing they have done this, but ultimately it shines a light on how incompetent the decision making is, and it will only serve to stoke the flames among supporters who feel aggrieved at such decision making. Now you’ve listened to that excerpt, you are bound to start wondering what similarly garbage conversations have happened with other incidents.

Fans already have a great amount of suspicion around referees, Var and their ability to make the right decisions - this will only make things worse, given the content in the audio release.

Luis Diaz (right) is incorrectly ruled as offside by Var Darren England
Luis Diaz (right) is incorrectly ruled as offside by Var Darren England

I was staggered by the level of communication on show in the short clip released on Tuesday night. There was no joined-up thinking, clarity of thought or any sort of collaborative approach. It appeared people were passing the buck until it all dawned on them what happened, and how they could not - or did not want to - rectify it.

As a former official of course I had some sympathy with England, especially when it dawned on him the gravity of his error when he is captured on audio saying “Oh f---“. It’s likely to be the worst decision he has ever made and nobody, whether a former referee or a fan of the game, wants to see people make such grave errors of judgement.

One of the key takeaways I had around the audio release was the notion among all the guilty parties that they “couldn’t do anything.”

The replay operator, Oli Kohout, tells the team to “delay.”

“Pardon?” came the response, as if this was such an alien concept to deliver.

“Can’t do anything,” says England as Var. I am not going to hide behind the laws of the game here, which state that if play has been restarted (which it had) then it could not be called back to resolve the error.

England clearly is applying the laws of the game here, but that is just the wrong thing to do in this instance. There is the laws of the game and then there is context, the spirit of the game, and doing the right thing. The right thing would be to resolve the situation and correct this most basic of errors.

Blindingly claiming you cannot do anything because the laws said so is another strand to the mess.

One of my overriding emotions from the release of the audio, though, is one of disappointment. Once again the standard of refereeing and Var in this country has proven to be not up to scratch and this is on Howard Webb to sort out, as this is the biggest crisis of officialdom I can remember.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I disagree with you. To me it sounds exactly like a man who realises he’s fucked up, but is in an organisation where the natural order of things (that has been drummed into them) is to circle the wagons and be defensive and has the arrogance that their decision is final and most important.

the “oh fuck” is genuine, as it the involuntary noise that comes before it. 

the defensive, arrogant tone follows. That’s the bravado of and English premier league referee. His natural, initial reaction was the honest bit.

Fair enough...not sure i agree but hey - opinions.

Amazing to me how he is silent when that lad is trying to get him to see the error, yet suddenly springs into life with the 'laws' to assert nothing can be done.

As i say all about opinions - for me something is amiss - aside from the obvious lack of professionalism, procedure, clarity, organisation etc.

Problem i have with it is i find it impossible to believe he did not know it had been disallowed by on field officials.....of course it should be impossible for that to be case....but these cunts are too useless for that to be so.

Watch the clip again if you can stomach it. 
As Diaz is running through, the var pipes up with “possible offside Diaz”. 
He knew exactly what he was supposed to be checking, and fucked it up without an ounce of remorse. 

But the whitewashing has started already. Watching SSN and the var shitshow is the 4th headline, behind United Losing, Arsenal losing, and Saka being injured.

Cunts. 

The other big thing for me is this...

Let's say it was a genuine mistake.

They should have immediately called it back when they realised the ref had restarted not awarding the goal. They had already broken protocol by failing to communicate it should be a goal correctly, so at that point there was no need to suddenly stick so rigidly to the rule book about play restarting.....that's just common sense at that point....stop the error being compounded and just make it clear that there has been a miscommunication and correct it there and then.