You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (H) Premier League 16/10/22 - 16:30

Bjornebye

1 minute ago, Code said:

Konate played 11 out of 38 games in the league last season.

What have you missed?

Well, you obviously missed his man of the match performance in the Champions League final.

The bulk of his appearances came in the second half of the season, when we put together an excellent run of results. I think we look a much more solid defensive outfit when he's in there. So sue me for it.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Mook said:

I thought with Diaz being out, we would abandon the 4 attackers but with the form some of them are in, I would go:-

Alisson

Gomez, Konate, Van Dijk, Tsimikas

Thiago, Fabinho

Firmino

Salah, Jota

Nunez

The only problem with that is relying on Elliott and Carvalho to come on and change things as attacking subs. 

I reckon it’ll be your side with Henderson in for Jota. 

53 minutes ago, an tha said:

Alisson

Gomez

Konate

VVD

Robertson

Thiago

Fabinho

Salah

Firmino

Jota

Nunez

Yet more frigging injuries permitting.

I reckon that maybe the 11 I would go with. 

Aside from the two brain farts at the end of each half I thought we played the formation well Vs Arsenal first half. 

I know City will try and overload the midfield but I think we need to try and give them something to really think about going the other way and some pace to worry about. 

Mo has to be in after last night, Bobby has to be in after the last 3 games and I thought Diogo has looked pretty good. Defensively thought Konate was terrific last night and hopefully Joe will offer us more defensively.

Hopefully Fab will find a bit of form and Thiago will be right up for it after a bit of a rest in the week. 

If we can get into their back 4 and get them panicking, get all over Rodri then could be one hell of a game. 

2 hours ago, HBenn said:

I reckon that maybe the 11 I would go with. 

Aside from the two brain farts at the end of each half I thought we played the formation well Vs Arsenal first half. 

I know City will try and overload the midfield but I think we need to try and give them something to really think about going the other way and some pace to worry about. 

Mo has to be in after last night, Bobby has to be in after the last 3 games and I thought Diogo has looked pretty good. Defensively thought Konate was terrific last night and hopefully Joe will offer us more defensively.

Hopefully Fab will find a bit of form and Thiago will be right up for it after a bit of a rest in the week. 

If we can get into their back 4 and get them panicking, get all over Rodri then could be one hell of a game. 

Mo played up front last night and scored 3. He has been one of the top 5 forwards in world football for 5 years as a wide forward or occasionally as a striker. He definitely isn't and never has been, a right sided midfielder. If we go 442/424/4231 etc then he has to play centrally, up top. 

4 hours ago, Strontium said:

Well, you obviously missed his man of the match performance in the Champions League final.

The bulk of his appearances came in the second half of the season, when we put together an excellent run of results. I think we look a much more solid defensive outfit when he's in there. So sue me for it.

Motm performance, with Matip we would have won that game. 

8 hours ago, Razoray said:

Mo played up front last night and scored 3. He has been one of the top 5 forwards in world football for 5 years as a wide forward or occasionally as a striker. He definitely isn't and never has been, a right sided midfielder. If we go 442/424/4231 etc then he has to play centrally, up top. 

This is the conundrum isn't it. It's either got to be go back to 4-3-3, or its the 4-4-2 variant and Salah is one of the 2. Problem is we don't have the wingers really so you'd be playing Elliott on the right in a game I don't think he's ready for. I'd go 4-3-3 for this one and play Jota Bobby and Salah

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Strontium said:

He's not Salah!

10 hours ago, Code said:

Motm performance, with Matip we would have won that game. 

Alisson and Konate were a level ahead of everybody else that night. Not coincidentally, they probably weren't as jaded as colleagues at the end of our 70 game season given their role and game-time respectively. If fatigue was an issue, which it clearly was, I'm not sure Matip's inclusion would have changed anything for us. 

Anyway, surely it's a good thing to have three excellent centre halves? 

All this has just reminded me how remarkable the efforts of last season were and that I should probably cut the players a bit more slack over recent form. 

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

Alisson and Konate were a level ahead of everybody else that night. Not coincidentally, they probably weren't as jaded as colleagues at the end of our 70 game season given their role and game-time respectively. If fatigue was an issue, which it clearly was, I'm not sure Matip's inclusion would have changed anything for us. 

Anyway, surely it's a good thing to have three excellent centre halves? 

All this has just reminded me how remarkable the efforts of last season were and that I should probably cut the players a bit more slack over recent form. 

Matip would have been able to break the lines from the back, I think that could have been the key. 

12 hours ago, Razoray said:

It's a fair point. 

Games against City are particularly like a game of chess and brinkmanship. They will gamble and push their full backs up high and keep them up regardless. I agree, the last thing you want to do is have Mo really wide or running back. 

To counteract their tactic I would tell Darwin and Mo to stay up high regardless and have Mo more central - possibly positioned in between the centre back and left back area.  Bobby would sit in a bit deeper/probably on top of Rodri and hopefully give them plenty to think about when they try and work the ball out. 

Whatever we do we cannot just sit and try and contain them and give them all the territorial advantage. 

Maybe Jurgen will go back to the three in midfield with Hendo sitting in front of Joe and allow Mo and Nunez to stay up top supported by Bobby. Maybe he will swap Nunez out for Jota. I am a bit torn between Nunez not being in, I think his threat in behind may prevent City pushing up just as much as they may well like. 

It will be intriguing to see how we go. One thing is for sure, it does magnify how if we get the midfield really working the jobs of the other areas become a hell of a lot easier.

Just now, Code said:

Matip would have been able to break the lines from the back, I think that could have been the key. 

I'm not so sure. I think we were too honest last season in pursuing every competition despite our small squad. It definitely cost us in the end. We showed absolutely nothing in that final. Nothing left in the tank. 

4 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I'm not so sure. I think we were too honest last season in pursuing every competition despite our small squad. It definitely cost us in the end. We showed absolutely nothing in that final. Nothing left in the tank. 

I agree we were tired (obviously) but we played a decent game. On another day we could have scored 3 goals. Their GK was MOTM. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Code said:

Tbf - I think there are more question marks over Virgil than the other two currently. Would love for him to have a great game (or us to be so good his performance isn't noticeable) on Sunday. 

Konate, Joe and Virgil's performances are massive for us on Sunday. 

433,drop 5yards and only press when they get into our half. Important not to leave our front men isolated so we have to be brave when attacking, but as soon as we lose possession, we can't follow them like idiots into their defensive 3rd, we need to scramble back quick and set up the block so as to give them zero space. Stopping the supply to de bruyne is key. Also,cancelo will prob play right full, so he won't be as much of a threat cutting back in and joining the play like he does when he's on the left.

Twelvety nil to the oil cheating cunts