You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Nathaniel Phillips

Supremolad

Nat's been good for us, very good. IMO he's largely underrated.

I love the way he handles set backs like hs own goal yesterday. Doesn't make him nervous or affecting his game in a negavtiv way at all.

Top quakity, one flaw only: Speed. Then again he's ten times faster than the old England captain Tony Adams,

Honestly, if it’s a choice between keeping him and signing Konate or selling him and signing Konate and Kabak I’d keep him all day long. The best sides always have a player who’s a bit shit but knows what it means to play at the club. United had loads(and sold them to Everton).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Well, if we decide to sell him he's now in the £20m bracket.  

If we sell him then we have learned fuck all from this season!

• Upvote 2

I hope he's sold.  He's not good enough for where we want to be, which is not 5th.  He seems a lovely lad.  He's had a dream few months that would never have happened if it wasn't for the extreme injuries in the back line.  He's 24 now and does not need to be going back to 5th choice CB.  He should move on and get starts for teams in the lower half of this league.  If you remove the romance of this (although I don't quite get the romance of having a limited footballer who's good at heading the ball away) he's simply not of the level we need to get back to winning leagues and european cups.  

We need 4 top-class footballing centre backs. That's not Nat Phillips.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I hope he's sold.  He's not good enough for where we want to be, which is not 5th.  He seems a lovely lad.  He's had a dream few months that would never have happened if it wasn't for the extreme injuries in the back line.  He's 24 now and does not need to be going back to 5th choice CB.  He should move on and get starts for teams in the lower half of this league.  If you remove the romance of this (although I don't quite get the romance of having a limited footballer who's good at heading the ball away) he's simply not of the level we need to get back to winning leagues and european cups.  

I hate you.

• Upvote 4

27 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

I agree but if he's happy to stay and be 5th choice I'd keep him. 

32 minutes ago, JohnnyH said:

although I don't quite get the romance of having a limited footballer who's good at heading the ball away

Surely you get the romance but just don’t share it? A player who isn’t really good enough but got his chance through (bad) luck and has never been the worst performer for us in any game he’s been involved in so far. He’s a fan too and celebrated us winning the league by driving around Stuttgart with our flag out of the window. I want him replaced by someone better (and not named Konate), but it’s hard to pretend that it’s not a good story. I will definitely keep an eye out for him in future kind of like I do with Martin Kelly for example.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aws said:

I think we'll keep all our CBs except maybe send Rhys on loan. We can't rely on Virgil and Joe recovering seamlessly next season. 

Depends on what happens with Kounate, that would push Phillips down to 5th choice perhaps, which he may not be happy about.  I mean, he's had a taste of this level and found he's more than capable of doing a job for a PL team as a starter.  

17 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Depends on what happens with Kounate, that would push Phillips down to 5th choice perhaps, which he may not be happy about.  I mean, he's had a taste of this level and found he's more than capable of doing a job for a PL team as a starter.  

We'll need at least five CBs next season. Even if Virgil and Joe are fully fit in August (which is a big if) there's no way they're going to be playing two matches a week every week. We know we'll be lucky if Matip is available for even half our games. 

• Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, Kevin D said:

I hate you.

Don't worry, I hate myself.

49 minutes ago, Elite said:

I agree but if he's happy to stay and be 5th choice I'd keep him. 

Yeah, there is that.  I think it'd be a shame if he did just waste his career by rarely even making the bench when he should be first choice somewhere at his age.  But if he's happy to do that, then fair enough.

36 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Surely you get the romance but just don’t share it? A player who isn’t really good enough but got his chance through (bad) luck and has never been the worst performer for us in any game he’s been involved in so far. He’s a fan too and celebrated us winning the league by driving around Stuttgart with our flag out of the window. I want him replaced by someone better (and not named Konate), but it’s hard to pretend that it’s not a good story. I will definitely keep an eye out for him in future kind of like I do with Martin Kelly for example.

He's a Bolton fan isn't he?  

I don't mean romance like the sporting romance of when Trent said "I'm just a young lad from Liverpool who's dream has come true" when we won the CL, more the romance fans attribute to the idea of a limited player being some kind of romantic hero precisely because he's limited and seem to celebrate the fact he's playing as the club lurches from one bad performance to the next resulting in us languishing miles away form where we want to be and really struggling to just get into the top 4 for CL football.

It's grand that he's a good header of the ball and is clearly good at that last ditch - just clear it - defending, but that's one of the main problems we've had that has caused us to have such a bad season,. We've no composed playing out from the back defending.  That's not Phillip's fault as he can only do what he can do, but it is an issue that can only be fixed without him in the team. 

6 hours ago, El Dangerous said:

Honestly, if it’s a choice between keeping him and signing Konate or selling him and signing Konate and Kabak I’d keep him all day long. The best sides always have a player who’s a bit shit but knows what it means to play at the club. United had loads(and sold them to Everton).

He’s not a bit shit though 

What’s all this 5th choice talk bollocks? If we had konate, then vvd and Gomez back, Nat would be the ideal 4th centre back and if he keeps improving who knows? He might link up with virg and form an unbelievable partnership.

4 minutes ago, belarus said:

What’s all this 5th choice talk bollocks? If we had konate, then vvd and Gomez back, Nat would be the ideal 4th centre back and if he keeps improving who knows? He might link up with virg and form an unbelievable partnership.

Kabak.