You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2019 Transfer Thread

AngryOfTuebrook

15 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Yep - Chelsea and then City have been stockpiling talent for years. I disagree about not doing it -- if you find one diamond it is worth it - especially if the player mill is turning a profit anyway. Kind of part and parcel of what is needed at the very top.

With that mind set Solanke was a pretty solid bet -- he has been good at every level.

Both of them do seem to be a little more effective in getting sweet loan deals though.

The reality at Liverpool is if you are loaned out you are done and the club is probably paying some wedge 

I'm not saying financially it doesn't pay for itself. I would guess our purchases of Ibe and Sterling (although admittedly cheaper, younger and less likely to make it) have funded the academy for a decade, but is this the point? What about all the lads who's careers are ruined because they're taken from their homes too young? Worse than that, maybe their whole life is ruined. I prefer the methodology of the day of heighway where we believed the clubs duty with young players was to make them into decent young men who can hopefully make their way in the game even if it is not with Liverpool, now we have no issue in taking a 16 year old boy from Spain or somewhere with no care for the boy, just can we make a buck. I am happy to say I don't like it. 

As for buying players for the 1st team squad (which fits the solanke situation better), I see absolutely no benefit in signing players who cannot contribute from day 1 - which is the situation we have with solanke. The squad system allows us 25 players plus our academy youngsters, we don't need to add fellas who can't play. 

1 hour ago, Boss said:

I don't believe in all this "attitude problems" stuff when it comes to Rabiot. If you fancy yourself as a gangster like Nile Ranger and Ravel Morrison, yeah I can understand it then. If you want to be a professional rapper like Ryan Babel, yeah, I can see why that'd fuck up your career, but attitude problems because you think you're a boss footballer? Nah, not having that.

There's no greater dickhead in football than Neymar. Nobody is more divisive and downright disrespectful to his teammates than him, and yet... he's the most expensive player in the world. I'd have Rabiot here no problem. I bet he'd turn into a proper leader on the pitch. He reminds me of Cantona in a way. He's got that same level of self belief.

He refused to be a reserve for France this summer and has therefore basically been banned by his national team. He's quit on his hometown club and took them for a ride to the extent that they've barred him from playing,and even going to the dressing room for the second part of the season. He publicly told the media he doesn't want to play holding midfield. His mom is his agent and is completely unreasonable.

He's not a criminal, but he's about as high maintenance for a player as it gets and the media would be all over him in England. There's very much a debate over whether he's be worth the hassle. 

33 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

He refused to be a reserve for France this summer and has therefore basically been banned by his national team. He's quit on his hometown club and took them for a ride to the extent that they've barred him from playing,and even going to the dressing room for the second part of the season. He publicly told the media he doesn't want to play holding midfield. His mom is his agent and is completely unreasonable.

He's not a criminal, but he's about as high maintenance for a player as it gets and the media would be all over him in England. There's very much a debate over whether he's be worth the hassle. 

You could see it that way, or you could see it that he wants to leave PSG and backs himself to make it at Barcelona. He uses his mum as his agent because she won't steal from him, and any agent fees from his sale go back to his family. That he's been banned from the dressing room in a childish attempt by PSG to get back at Barcelona. And he doesn't want to play defensive midfield because his attributes make him better suited further up the field. 

The World Cup thing is inexcusable. Regardless of how disappointed you are, you cannot down tools like that on your country. I do remember Cantona calling the French coach "a bag of shit" though, so it's not like he's alone in that.  

11 minutes ago, Boss said:

You could see it that way, or you could see it that he wants to leave PSG and backs himself to make it at Barcelona. He uses his mum as his agent because she won't steal from him, and any agent fees from his sale go back to his family. That he's been banned from the dressing room in a childish attempt by PSG to get back at Barcelona. And he doesn't want to play defensive midfield because his attributes make him better suited further up the field. 

The World Cup thing is inexcusable. Regardless of how disappointed you are, you cannot down tools like that on your country. I do remember Cantona calling the French coach "a bag of shit" though, so it's not like he's alone in that.  

I'm English and i'd tell them to fuck off over my club every day of the week. 

34 minutes ago, Boss said:

I think if he came here and was motivated he'd be phenomenal. He's got it all for a midfielder, including height and natural fitness. His style is a great fit here too. But doing what he's done to his hometown club says something about his character. There are both sides to every story and PSG are a shit club and institution but that's a bad sign. 

2 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

If he’s got that kind of attitude I very much doubt Klopp wants him. Team spirit seems very important to him, just look at his comments after Salah offered Firmino the second penalty against Arsenal. 

• Upvote 1

Hope these rumours are true cause whilst Lallana and a few others are offering fuck all but bodies on the pitch, they’ll need replaced.    If we can get our targets in now, then that’s a huge title boost

Kieta that we all hoped we were getting finally showing up would be better than any signing.

13 hours ago, Barry Wom said:

I'm not. Paul was complaining I said it was a punt and he was upset I was writing off young talent. I made the point I didn't think he was very talented. Actually, earlier I made point I don't think we're unique in this hoarding of players for the sake of profitability as most clubs do it. I just wouldn't choose to do it myself. 

Upset? Mate, I can assure you that your opinion on Dominic Solanke was not in any way upsetting. I feel completely ambivalent about him. It was your contrasting certainty that I found surprising as I don’t think we’ve seen enough to really know. 

Logic suggests the player has something about him, but ultimately our entire recruitment and development strategy is so strong now that my general attitude is relaxed about any outgoings as they clearly know exactly what they’re doing.  

22 minutes ago, Paul said:

Upset? Mate, I can assure you that your opinion on Dominic Solanke was not in any way upsetting. I feel completely ambivalent about him. It was your contrasting certainty that I found surprising as I don’t think we’ve seen enough to really know. 

Logic suggests the player has something about him, but ultimately our entire recruitment and development strategy is so strong now that my general attitude is relaxed about any outgoings as they clearly know exactly what they’re doing.  

Solanke isn't a boy any more Paul. We've not seen much of him because he's not very good. You've not seen a lot of me either. 

As for the recruitment, it's certainly working well at the moment and I'm convinced that's because klopp is able to identify the players he likes and doesn't like out of the players Edwards puts forward and has the strength of character to fuck them off when he doesn't want them. Without klopp, it's just the same fellas who brought us balotelli and eto'o as replacement options for Luis suarez and thought markovic was a footballer. Maybe they've refined their process, but I'm more inclined to think it's down to klopp knowing what he wants rather than the absolute shambles we had when we had a much weaker manager who took what he was given. 

The point here with solanke, was did we sign him to stockpile players and make a few quid. It seems certain it was a transfer that couldn't fail from a financial perspective. But while the lad might have represented england in the youth levels, I've never seen that as any guarantee of becoming a player. I suspect more fail than make it in a top 6 team. We could see a body of work from his loan spells where he also wasn't very good. All indicators is this was a punt to make money for me - I'm not arsed he's shit. I'd just sooner we'd  not wasted a squad space on him for 2 seasons and his pending loan to the owl suggests we care little of his development. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Pidge said:

Solanke played 27 times last season, we didn't sign him to stockpile or take a punt - it's clear we believed in his talent.  It just hasn't worked out for him here.

He played because he had a place in the squad and we had to play someone. I don't believe for a second we believed in his talent, because he didn't demonstrate any in 27 games.