You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Alexis Sanchez’s move to Manchester United is “75 per cent complete”, according to sources close to negotiations, and the Old Trafford hierarchy are confident of holding off any late interest from Chelsea to sign the Chilean from Arsenal this week.

The champions have asked about Sanchez’s demands through intermediaries and would be willing to capitalise on any breakdown, although there is a belief United are now too far ahead despite “complicated” negotiations with Arsenal.

One issue that has arisen is over whether United pay the full £35m or Henrikh Mkhitaryan goes the other way with cash, but the Armenian would prefer a return to Borussia Dortmund and there is still some distance in wage positions between the Armenian and officials at the Emirates.

Simon Mignolet, who has not played for Liverpool since New Year’s Day, has said that he is considering his future at the club (@_pauljoyce)

Mignolet: “I have to stay calm. At the same time I have to think about my future. I am 30 years old and the World Cup is coming.”Oliver Bond

Marko Grujic is likely to go on loan to a Championship club for the second half of the season. Klopp is keen for the 21-year-old Serbian to gain experience after finding his opportunities limited so far this season, writes @JamesPearceEcho

I would have thought sitting on the bench would be perfect preparation for his stint at the World Cup.

All joking apart , I think he is far better than Karius, and Jurgen has been a bit ' teachers pet ' with Loris & I would put in a transfer request if I was Simon.

Some people on here are hoping to see Karius make a save , I would probably settle for seeing him dive just once before we bought a new keeper.

• Upvote 3

Simon Mignolet, who has not played for Liverpool since New Year’s Day, has said that he is considering his future at the club (@_pauljoyce)

Mignolet: “I have to stay calm. At the same time I have to think about my future. I am 30 years old and the World Cup is coming.”Oliver Bond

Marko Grujic is likely to go on loan to a Championship club for the second half of the season. Klopp is keen for the 21-year-old Serbian to gain experience after finding his opportunities limited so far this season, writes @JamesPearceEcho

He should be fucked off for that sentence alone. Never mind the World Cup you prick. LFC pay your mortgage. Try putting in a decent performance here now and again and you will be off to Russia with our blessing.

I would have thought sitting on the bench would be perfect preparation for his stint at the World Cup.

All joking apart , I think he is far better than Karius, and Jurgen has been a bit ' teachers pet ' with Loris & I would put in a transfer request if I was Simon.

Some people on here are hoping to see Karius make a save , I would probably settle for seeing him dive just once before we bought a new keeper.

Better how? Makes fewer saves per game, claims the ball significantly less successfully, we win fewer points with him, we concede more goals with him... what is it that people think Mignolet is doing better?

• Upvote 1

I didn't think about that, can he dive?

Caughtoffside = 100% bullshit

Metro = 100% bullshit

The Mirror = 100% bullshit

The Star = 100% bullshit

Daily Mail = 85% bullshit

The Express = 85% bullshit

BBC gossip section = 75% bullshit

The Independent = 50% bullshit

Sky Sports News = 50% bullshit

Melissa Reddy = 35% bullshit

Chris Bascombe Telegraph = 20% bullshit

Paul Joyce The Times = 20% bullshit

James Pearce Echo = 20% bullshit

BBC (main site) = 0% bullshit

sports mole?

Better how? Makes fewer saves per game, claims the ball significantly less successfully, we win fewer points with him, we concede more goals with him... what is it that people think Mignolet is doing better?

I have seen the stats, but in actually watching the two of them in games , Mignolet actually looks like a keeper whereas Karius reminds me of my mate who used to hate being in goal in 5-a-side so just flicked a leg at incoming shots to get out as quick as possible.

Guest Pistonbroke

It is, mate. But right now, we have to fuck one of them.

‘When the fall is all that’s left, it matters a great deal’

One of them will be off this summer, who knows, if we bring in a keeper this month then maybe sooner. My money would be on Mingolet being shown the door ahead of Karius. Purely because Karius is Klopp's signing. 

I have seen the stats, but in actually watching the two of them in games , Mignolet actually looks like a keeper whereas Karius reminds me of my mate who used to hate being in goal in 5-a-side so just flicked a leg at incoming shots to get out as quick as possible.

My main issue with Mignolet is that aside from not commanding his area, being rooted to the spot, and being as vocal as a mute without a tongue, he doesn’t save shots. Like, at all. Ever. Mignolet is far from great at it either, but he’s way better in other areas.

Both not good enough but we have to go with the one who gets us the best results, in my view.

• Upvote 2

Guest Pistonbroke

My main issue with Mignolet is that aside from not commanding his area, being rooted to the spot, and being as vocal as a mute without a tongue, he doesn’t save shots. Like, at all. Ever. Mignolet is far from great at it either, but he’s way better in other areas.

Both not good enough but we have to go with the one who gets us the best results, in my view.

That's like comparing Susan Boyle's looks with Susan Boyle.

Sorry mate, couldn't resist. 

You say that Mig does not command his area but he seems far and away better than Karius in dealing with crosses to me eyes. Agree that Karius is faster off his line , probably because he doesn't really like being in goal anyway,

End of the day I think we agree that neither should be our number one.

• Upvote 1

You say that Mig does not command his area but he seems far and away better than Karius in dealing with crosses to me eyes. Agree that Karius is faster off his line , probably because he doesn't really like being in goal anyway,

End of the day I think we agree that neither should be our number one.

Karius’ claim at 100% success rate in the CL, 75% in the Premier League. He’s way better than Mig at it. Mig stats and doesn’t come. He’s genuinely awful at it.

I wonder if we should be interested in Radja Nainggolan?

MIght be a cut-price fee as he's been suspended and fallen out with the club over his smoking and drinking at NYE.

Klopp likes a fag, I wonder if he might be more willing to tolerate it.

It also gives us a top class midfielder at a time when we're still unsure what Can is doing, and Henderson continues to be missing big chunks of seasons. 

• Downvote 2