You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Even in Toxteth division south?

I get your point but a keeper from a team doing well is generally a good indication of their ability to play in a team on the front foot and having the concentration over 90 minutes when they may only be required once or twice.

Buying a left back from a team that conceded 80 goals and got relegated seems like a bad idea by that logic but here were are.

Probably a bad analogy like, but I just wanted an excuse to tell everyone how much I love Robertson again.

• Upvote 1

When will people learn that the clubs we buy players from don't matter? There are quality players everywhere. If there's a genius somehow playing for Oxford United, you still sign him.

Modern fan that im afraid..... No patience either...

How many keepers have been bought from 'top' clubs?

Neur from Shalke, Oblak from Benfica, De Gea from a europa league Atletico!

Sheesh man - Neuer was Captain leading that side to the CL semi - Oblak got to the semis in the Europa and won his leagues keeper of the year.

Atletico is one of the top clubs in the world. And won the Europa that year.

So in these cases the answer is every one.

Sheesh man - Neuer was Captain leading that side to the CL semi - Oblak got to the semis in the Europa and won his leagues keeper of the year.

Atletico is one of the top clubs in the world. And won the Europa that year.

So in these cases the answer is every one.

'Top' clubs was the criteria.

Twist it whateve way you can but Shalke, Benfica and 2010 Atletic are not 'top' clubs.

Quite a few keepers at 'top' clubs would be shit for us.

Guest Pistonbroke

Walcott looking dead happy going into bluenoses training ground before his medical, fucking hell like!

330387.jpg

Looking wistfully over at Anfield...

Dreading the physical part of the medical, his hammies might go. 

Aaron-Lennon-005.jpg

I've lived to bury my desires and see my dreams corrode with rust now all that's left are fruitless fires that burn my empty heart to dust. Struck by the clouds of cruel fate My crown of Summer bloom is sere Alone and sad, I watch and wait And wonder if the end is near - Aaron Lennon

• Upvote 7

Aaron-Lennon-005.jpg

I've lived to bury my desires and see my dreams corrode with rust now all that's left are fruitless fires that burn my empty heart to dust. Struck by the clouds of cruel fate My crown of Summer bloom is sere Alone and sad, I watch and wait And wonder if the end is near - Aaron Lennon

you have to read that in the voice of Cate Blanchett at the begining of lord of the rings.

Any sign of us signing anyone?

Even the rumours have dried up now....

Edit:

Saying that.....

“Manchester United has to move quickly,” the Spaniard said.

“I’ve heard that unless they sort things out soon, and including Mkhitaryan in the deal, there’s another club willing to take Alexis Sanchez. 

“I still think there’s going to be a few twists on this one.”

Arsenal Fan TV presenter Robbie Lyle then pressed Balague for a response, asking: “Is that Chelsea?”

Balague suggested that there may be an unnamed club in the market for Sanchez with his response.

“It could be (Chelsea), but it could be somebody else. One of the big ones,” he added.

Lyle wasn’t happy to leave it there though, attempting to find out the identity of the mystery club.

“Okay, okay. Liverpool?,” Lyle pressed once more.

But clearly trying to avoid the question, Balague, who was connected via a phone link, came back with: “Anyway I cannot hear you now!”

Lyle responded: “He can’t hear me now!”, with the pair in fits of laughter.

Balague heard the remainder of the interview well enough, so it was interesting that he dodged the topic once Liverpool's name was brought into the equation.

No it wasn't.

"The Pope and Pavlenka shouts aren't the worst, but I'm wary of buying keepers from lower positioned/statured clubs."

Yes it was! It is up there - we've never bought from a 'top' club. Villareal are as big as Shalke. So not worth arguing - i've probably misinterpreted what you meant.

Point is we need a keeper, and judging by those whom are first choice - restricting our scouting to 'top' clubs may rule out better keepers. I'd much rather a keeper from Roma than Madrid, Barca or PSG.

Got to laugh at this we must only buy from a bigger better club. How totally unreasonable is that. So we are supposed to buy Real, Bayern, Juve cast offs etc and that is ok and we should not sign a lad like Robertson because he came from relegated Hull. Yeah, that worked out shit didnt it.

Exactly was 3 Stacks is saying. Ali, Mahrez, Gomez, Robertson, Keita, all from small clubs.

Yes it was! It is up there - we've never bought from a 'top' club. Villareal are as big as Shalke. So not worth arguing - i've probably misinterpreted what you meant.

Point is we need a keeper, and judging by those whom are first choice - restricting our scouting to 'top' clubs may rule out better keepers. I'd much rather a keeper from Roma than Madrid, Barca or PSG.

It wasn't. It's clearly stated that I think that we shouldn't buy keepers from lower level clubs.

I was then giving examples of the keepers we've signed from the likes of Coventry, Watford, Sunderland etc.

I've never once suggested that we should only buy keepers from the likes of Barcelona, Real, Bayern etc.

I've just highlighted that our policy of going for keepers from lower stature club and who aren't pushing to be their national number 1 has not produced the desired results for years now.

I just think we should try something different for what is a very important position in the team. Buy a keeper who plays for a team who have expectations of a title challenge, a cup win or European qualification. Not from teams who are massive clubs, but not from teams who'd be made up with a top half finish either.

Got to laugh at this we must only buy from a bigger better club. How totally unreasonable is that. So we are supposed to buy Real, Bayern, Juve cast offs etc and that is ok and we should not sign a lad like Robertson because he came from relegated Hull. Yeah, that worked out shit didnt it.

I wanted us to sign Maguire before he went to Leicester. And Vardy for a while too. And I said I liked the look of Ward-Prouse at Southampton. And Maddison at Norwich.

Again, not a single person has said that you have to buy every player from a big club. I've merely highlighted that we've tried to find a bargain keeper or one who could raise their game a level.

It's an approach that's largely failed and costs us points.

Thus, I now want us to go out and buy a keeper who's played with and is used to the pressure of expectation and who is, at the least, pushing to be the number 1 for his country.