You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2018 Transfer Thread

Anubis

Jocelyn Gourvennec, the Bordeaux Manager just commented on the Malcom rumours and said: “If Liverpool want you to work for them tomorrow, you’d go. I’m a coach, I’d like to be able to count on Malcom, Malcom has to help us."

Arsenal have been reliably linked with him, so maybe he made a mistake, but maybe not. 

I would have thought sitting on the bench would be perfect preparation for his stint at the World Cup.

All joking apart , I think he is far better than Karius, and Jurgen has been a bit ' teachers pet ' with Loris & I would put in a transfer request if I was Simon.

Some people on here are hoping to see Karius make a save , I would probably settle for seeing him dive just once before we bought a new keeper.

Sorry mate but this teachers pet stuff is complete bollocks. Mignolet has been given chance after chance, year after year. To the extent that we know for sure he’s never going to be the answer. It’s probably best if he leaves in this window, Ward can sit on the bench til the end of the season.

Karius has never had a run of games with us. I can’t think of any goalkeeper who plays 2 or 3 times a month and just performs straight away at a high level. Goalkeepers need games.

To suggest Klopp has unfairly favoured Karius is total fantasyland.

• Upvote 4

You say that Mig does not command his area but he seems far and away better than Karius in dealing with crosses to me eyes. Agree that Karius is faster off his line , probably because he doesn't really like being in goal anyway,

End of the day I think we agree that neither should be our number one.

On Sunday, he came flying off his line for a free kick that happily went straight over his head and out for a goal kick.

Was a real wtf moment i thought.

Something you just don't see often in professional football.

His positional sense is laughable.

He is utter shite.

• Upvote 1

Jocelyn Gourvennec, the Bordeaux Manager just commented on the Malcom rumours and said: “If Liverpool want you to work for them tomorrow, you’d go. I’m a coach, I’d like to be able to count on Malcom, Malcom has to help us."

Arsenal have been reliably linked with him, so maybe he made a mistake, but maybe not. 

I hope so. It may sound funny but he reminds me of Ronaldo. The proper one, not the guido version.

I wonder if we should be interested in Radja Nainggolan?

MIght be a cut-price fee as he's been suspended and fallen out with the club over his smoking and drinking at NYE.

Klopp likes a fag, I wonder if he might be more willing to tolerate it.

It also gives us a top class midfielder at a time when we're still unsure what Can is doing, and Henderson continues to be missing big chunks of seasons. 

I got negged for that!  Fucking lunatic.

Better how? Makes fewer saves per game, claims the ball significantly less successfully, we win fewer points with him, we concede more goals with him... what is it that people think Mignolet is doing better?

Is right. Mignolet isnt better at all. However Karius isnt good enough either.

People in Italy are raving about Allison. I havent seen enough of him to either agree or disagree with them. Thats why i say go for Oblak.

While i thought this analysis of why we conceed chances and why our defense gets put in difficult situations is wrong the analysis of goalkeepers is quite interesting, though a bit too simple.

https://chanceanalytics.com/2017/12/31/finding-liverpool-a-good-keeper/

I wonder if we should be interested in Radja Nainggolan?

MIght be a cut-price fee as he's been suspended and fallen out with the club over his smoking and drinking at NYE.

Klopp likes a fag, I wonder if he might be more willing to tolerate it.

It also gives us a top class midfielder at a time when we're still unsure what Can is doing, and Henderson continues to be missing big chunks of seasons.

He is class. But at 30, drinking and smoking. I dont think Klopp would have it.

On Sunday, he came flying off his line for a free kick that happily went straight over his head and out for a goal kick.

Was a real wtf moment i thought.

Something you just don't see often in professional football.

His positional sense is laughable.

He is utter shite.

This is the confirmation bias he's up against. He identified the ball was coming into his zone and decided to go and claim. He then realizes the ball is too high and fast and causes no danger. He let's it go, where is the problem with that?

Manchester United are confident of completing a £65m package deal for Arsenal star Alexis Sanchez.

Armenian football journalist Thibaud Vezirian says the deal is underway.

He tweeted an Armenian flag and wrote: “The transfer of @HenrikhMkh to @Arsenal, it's done! Alexis Sanchez go to @ManUtd.”

- United and Arsenal are in still locked in talks over a transfer which will see Henrikh Mkhitaryan move the other way.

- Chelsea are also interested in signing Alexis Sanchez from Arsenal in the January transfer window.

- Arsenal are looking into mega-money deals for Borussia Dortmund star Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Sporting Lisbon winger Gelson Martins. They will offer Olivier Giroud to Borussia Dortmund as a makeweight to signing Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang who is Arsenal’s top choice as they seek a replacement for Alexis Sanchez.

- West Ham are not willing to loan Andy Carroll to Chelsea and will only sanction a permanent transfer.

- Swansea are in talks with Atletico Madrid over potential transfers for France striker Kevin Gameiro and Argentina midfielder Nicolas Gaitan

- Everton are closing in on a £20m swoop for out-of-favour Arsenal winger Theo Walcott.

- Burnley are preparing to bid £10m for the 23-year-old Brighton midfielder Solly March.

- Sunderland are willing to let £70,000-a-week midfielder Jack Rodwell leave for free as they look to make cost savings.

- Paris Saint-Germain will make a big-money offer for Cristiano Ronaldo if Real Madrid president Florentino Perez can assure the French club that he will give up his pursuit of Neymar, according to Don Balon.

#Alisson, who does not have a buy-out clause and is valued at around £44 million, is aware his reputation is soaring and said a decision on his future would be made after the World Cup. #lfc

Atletico Madrid’s Jan #Oblak is another potential candidate, although the Slovenian has a €100 million (about £89 million) buy-out clause. - Paul Joyce

• Upvote 1

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd be pissed off if we gave that type of money out on a keeper. Plenty of decent keepers about for a lot less. No guarantee Oblak of Allison would be as good for us as they presently are for their clubs, both play a more defensively based game and have better defenders ahead of them than we have had over the last few seasons, although VVD should improve that. 

Mignolet: “I have to stay calm. At the same time I have to think about my future. I am 30 years old and the World Cup is coming.”Oliver Bond

He has a point, lack of game time would be the only possible reason that Belgium might pick Courtois ahead of him.

Assuming you ignore the fact that Courtois hasn't been proven to be an absolutely shit keeper over and over again of course. 

This is the confirmation bias he's up against. He identified the ball was coming into his zone and decided to go and claim. He then realizes the ball is too high and fast and causes no danger. He let's it go, where is the problem with that?

The problem is when he waved another one past & Otamendi could have scored. Won't ruin his excellent catching stats though as he never got anywhere near it.

Don't get me wrong, Mig needs to go & the fact Ward can't get a game for Wales past Hennessy suggests he isn't the answer, but I have never seen a goalie in the top division who looks less goalie-like than Karius. He is absolutely hopeless. 

I'd be pissed off if we gave that type of money out on a keeper. Plenty of decent keepers about for a lot less. No guarantee Oblak of Allison would be as good for us as they presently are for their clubs, both play a more defensively based game and have better defenders ahead of them than we have had over the last few seasons, although VVD should improve that. 

Playing devil's advocate, for the same money who do you think improves us more , Oblak or Lemar ?

Key word there, decent. How many points do Utd and Chelsea gain from having De Gea and Courtois in goal?

Now i dont know about Allison, but certainly Oblak wouldnt have let in at least 25% of the goals Mignolet and Karius let in. I have no problem what so ever if we met the release clause for Oblak. Its by far the weakest part of our team and its important we adress that. Going from Lovren and Mignolet/Karius to Van Dijk and Oblak would be an incredible improvement and do more good for us than strengthening elsewhere.