You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Suarez bite v2

Chippo

I'm sure Hendo and Allen would be off if the offer and the time was right, as would Flanno.  They're not tied to the club like some fans are.

Disagree about Flanno, I think he's a fan who happens to play for the club. That said Stevie's head was turned so I suppose you may be right.

Stringvest, you may be right.

But I don't buy that winning is everything. It can't be. Only a handful of teams can ever win anything in a season. HOW you win does matter. And at LFC we have a long tradition of trying to do things the right way ( even If we are not always very good at actually doing it).

At some point I could not support a player playing for LFC. It's a personal thing, a gut response, and I don't feel that way about Suarez. But for instance if I was a Notts County fan, I would not pay to watch while Lee Hughes was playing for the side, he crossed my personal and subjective line.

My own view is that Suarez will not go. I don't think that Barca will offer enough, and with CL qualification worth £35m, and Man U under Van Gaal likely to return to the Top Four, without him our chances of a second season in the CL are much reduced. So the financial merits of a sale are pretty questionable. Opposition fans will make a meal of things, the Kop will respond with "he bites when he wants", and it will be business as usual.

A bit contradictory . You argue tradition and how we win matters but we will end up keeping Suarez and it will be business as usual. The conclusion is that we have can have principles provided Barca pay the right price !

Disagree about Flanno, I think he's a fan who happens to play for the club. That said Stevie's head was turned so I suppose you may be right.

I wouldn't mind either.  They've got short careers, and they need to make decisions that will make them happy.  Bit like the money/happiness thread going on elsewhere.

A bit contradictory . You argue tradition and how we win matters but we will end up keeping Suarez and it will be business as usual. The conclusion is that we have can have principles provided Barca pay the right price !

My badly made point was that at some point a line is crossed, but for me Suarez hasn't done so yet.

And yes I accept that professional sportsmen will behave like professional sportsmen and always have done.

I'm not offended or will I lose sleep over this.  We either get £80million or whatever the release clause is or we keep him.  I'd prefer to keep him.

Yeah. The press briefings are shit. But, as you say, pay up or get lost. And I think that'll be our stance.

My badly made point was that at some point a line is crossed, but for me Suarez hasn't done so yet.

And yes I accept that professional sportsmen will behave like professional sportsmen and always have done.

Fair enough but without yet another catalogue of Suarez's misdemeanors what the hell does he have to do to cross the line ?

Fair enough but without yet another catalogue of Suarez's misdemeanors what the hell does he have to do to cross the line ?

Drive drunk, crash into another car, kill someone, cripple two others, then leave them dying and seriously injured and run off- as Hughes did.
  • Upvote 1

e595c71a-48be-4f08-908b-f5a2460d69f4-460Luis Suárez is believed to have an £80m release clause in his £200,000-per-week Liverpool contract. Photograph: Carlos Barria/Reuters

Liverpool have given the first indication that Luis Suárez’s future lies away from Anfield by agreeing to open talks with Barcelona over the transfer of the disgraced striker.

The Spanish club have not been deterred in their pursuit of the Uruguay international by the four-month ban from all football-related activities that he received for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup. It is understood a delegation led by Barcelona’s director of football management, Raul Sanllehi, will meet Liverpool’s chief executive, Ian Ayre, in London on Wednesday for the opening round of negotiations over the 27-year-old.

Liverpool remain adamant Suárez will be sold only should a club meet a release-clause of around £80m that was included in the £200,000-a-week contract he signed in December. Their valuation has not altered since Suárez bit an opponent for the third time in three years, although Ayre is expected to register Liverpool’s interest in the Barcelona winger Alexis Sánchez being part of any transfer at the meeting with Sanllehi.

Sánchez is valued in the £30m region by Barcelona but whether the Chile international would be interested in a move to Anfield and what the Catalans are prepared to offer are yet to be determined. There have been no negotiations between the clubs over Suárez before now despite Barcelona’s obvious courtship of the Premier League’s leading goalscorer.

Barcelona are believed to have encouraged Suárez to go public with an apology for biting Chiellini amid concerns over how his prospective transfer would be received. The apology and U-turn from Suárez duly followed via social media on Monday, six days after the incident, and club employees were fulsome in their praise of the striker’s actions on Tuesday.

Speaking at the unveiling of the midfielder Ivan Rakitic, Barcelona’s sporting director, Andoni Zubizarreta, said: “Suárez has shown he is humble enough to admit an error, which is very important. He has been humble enough to apologise to those he has affected, because it happened in the middle of a festival of football. In this case it’s the best thing a person can do. ”

The former Barcelona and Spain goalkeeper added: “Everyone knows that Luis is an excellent player, everyone knows last season he played in various positions in attack, but everyone also knows that he is a Liverpool player.”

Rakitic also saluted Suárez’s “character and strength” and claimed the forward “has the necessary quality to play for Barça”.

Liverpool, meanwhile, will attempt to upgrade their defence following the £25m signing of Adam Lallana by finalising interest in the Southampton centre-half Dejan Lovren and the Chelsea left-back Ryan Bertrand this week. The Anfield club’s summer spending reached the £40m mark on Tuesday when the England midfielder Lallana completed his protracted move. He joins his former Southampton team-mate Rickie Lambert plus the Bayer Leverkusen midfielder Emre Can, £4.5m and £9.85m deals respectively, and there is likely to be further cause for alarm at St Mary’s once Brendan Rodgers commences the overhaul of his defence.

The Croatia international Lovren is the Liverpool manager’s leading central defensive target and is believed to be keen on a move to Merseyside despite rival interest from Tottenham Hotspur, now led by the former Southampton coach Mauricio Pochettino.

Liverpool’s attempt to sign Alberto Moreno remains at deadlock with Sevilla demanding £20m for the left-back, £4m above the offer on the table, and insistent that their financial problems have been alleviated by Rakitic’s sale to Barcelona. That has prompted Rodgers to rekindle his interest in Bertrand, who impressed the Liverpool manager on loan at Aston Villa last season. He will test Chelsea’s resolve to keep the 24-year-old, following the departure of Ashley Cole and their having missed out to Manchester United on Luke Shaw, with an official approach this week.

Rodgers is also pursuing Benfica’s £25m-rated Lazar Markovic and Lille’s Belgium striker Divock Origi as he looks to bolster Liverpool’s options for their return to the Champions League next season.

Lallana sealed his transfer after Southampton accepted Liverpool’s final £25m offer for the attacking midfielder. Bournemouth, for whom Lallana played until he was 12, will bank around £6.25m from the midfielder’s transfer as they were due 25% of any future sell-on fee.

The 26-year-old said: “Watching the run-in towards the end of last season was unbelievable, not just for myself but everyone involved in football. It got the hairs on the back of my neck standing up just watching them, and the style of football they were playing.

“Deep down, I was thinking to myself: hopefully one day I’ll be able to play in that team. That dream has become a reality now, so I can’t wait for that to get started.”

ECHO understands that Reds chief executive Ian Ayre has agreed to meet a delegation from Barcelona in London

Luis-Suarez.jpg
Luis Suarez wheels away in celebration after his goal against Spurs

Liverpool FC will hold talks with Barcelona on Wednesday after the Spanish giants finally made an approach to sign Luis Suarez.

The ECHO understands that Reds chief executive Ian Ayre has agreed to meet a delegation from Barcelona in London.

It will mark the start of negotiations between the clubs over a potential deal for the Uruguayan striker.

Ayre will also take the opportunity to step up Liverpool's pursuit of Barca attacker Alexis Sanchez.

Ayre will spell out to the Catalans that there is no chance of Suarez being allowed to leave on the cheap – despite his four-month ban from all football for biting Italy defender Giorgio Chiellini.

The Reds' owners remain adamant they don't want to sell and a transfer will only be sanctioned if Barcelona meet the valuation in the release clause of the lucrative new contract Suarez penned last December. That figure is believed to be between £70million and £80million.

Sanchez could become a vital makeweight in the transfer if Barcelona agree to let him move in the opposite direction.

The 25-year-old, who has also attracted interest from the likes of Juventus and Arsenal, lit up the World Cup in Brazil prior to Chile's agonising exit on penalties to the hosts

Barcelona's long awaited move for Suarez came after weeks of speculation with reports in Spain suggesting they have already agreed personal terms with the striker.

Liverpool were braced for an approach following Suarez's public apology for the bite on Monday – something Barcelona had demanded from the player's advisers prior to them trying to secure his services.

Barca sporting director Andoni Zubizarreta spoke of his admiration for Suarez at the Nou Camp following the unveiling of Ivan Rakitic from Sevilla.

“Suarez has shown he is humble enough to admit an error, which is very important,” he said.

“He has been humble enough to apologise to those he has affected because it happened in the middle of a festival of football. In this case it’s the best thing a person can do.

“Everyone knows that Luis is an excellent player. Everyone knows last season he played in various positions in attack, but everyone also knows that he is a Liverpool player.”

Croatia midfielder Rakitic added: “The fact he has had the character and the strength to go in front of everyone and say sorry says a lot about him as a person.

“I rarely say that I am wrong so this says a lot about him, he has shown the character and strength he has so he should be commended for that.

“Regardless of whether the club signs him or not, his quality is unquestionable. He has shown a lot of quality with Uruguay and scored more than 30 goals (last season) with Liverpool, so he has the necessary quality to play for Barca.”

Zubizarreta did little to quell talk about the Catalans agreeing to sell Sanchez as he added: “Regarding Alexis, there have been offers. We will try and find a solution best for everyone.”

More Li
  • Upvote 1

"The Liverpool chief executive, Ian Ayre, will meet a Barcelona delegation in London on Wednesday for the first talks over the sale of Luis Suarez, with the acquisition of Alexis Sanchez a key part of the Premier League club’s demands."

We're fucked.....

Ayre will come away with £3.50, a packet of crisps and a pickled egg. We are screwed.

Seriously why say "the reds owners are adamant they don't want to sell" - but we are meeting them anyway. I know it's all brinkmanship now - but don't trust Ayre

Sanchez - great

Lallana - squad player, meh

Lambert - squad player, meh

Can - squad player

Origi - not arsed, won't even play for us next year

Lovren - mediocre, no thanks

Markovic - decent prospect (note the word prospect)

Bertrand - fuck right off

Moreno - won't buy him cause we spend like midtable fucks

Suarez - best player in the team (and world), leaving.

At least we're true to form. Liverpool, being fucking shite at transfers since forever.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1