You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

On 10/26/2018 at 12:41 AM, VladimirIlyich said:

Friends was shite apart from those Joey and Chandler characters. Overhyped US garbage for the most part.

Swap "including" in for "apart from" and a full stop for "for the most part".

I don't understanding why you've given it wriggle room.  It's the most offensive garbage ever (repeatedly) served up to a gormless audience.

*pause*

(raises eyebrow) Well dur.

*huge burst of canned laughter and clapping*

Speaking of painful canned laughter; I am forever on the hunt for watchable traditional multi-camera sitcoms with laughter (not a particularly pleasant task as it's sadly a dying format and most of the recent stuff is horrible), newish and American (I've seen most of the old ones), so any recommendations would be appreciated. My bar is set fairly low.

The last one I discovered which was pretty good was Partners (2012) made by the Will&Grace creators, but they cancelled it after only one season, apparently they ripped off some older sitcom with that. It featured some of the sharpest writing you can still find in the format and don't let a low IMDB rating discourage you, it's at least 8, all things considered.

The Haunting of Hill House

This is how it’s done. That is how you pen a TV show, that’s how you act, that’s how you film, that’s how you tie everything up. It’s brilliant. I agree with Steven King when he said of this, ‘it’s close to a work of genius’. It really is, the way they loop the threads of the show into itself, they way they thread the perspectives into the story, it’s masterful at times. Son of the monologues are out of this world. It’s truly excellent. 9/10. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is how it’s done. That is how you pen a TV show, that’s how you act, that’s how you film, that’s how you tie everything up. It’s brilliant. I agree with Steven King when he said of this, ‘it’s close to a work of genius’. It really is, the way they loop the threads of the show into itself, they way they thread the perspectives into the story, it’s masterful at times. Son of the monologues are out of this world. It’s truly excellent. 9/10. 

Agree with this. I’m a shitbag when it comes to horror. But the storytelling has kept me hooked.

Yeah, it’s a great horror show. Don’t think people realise how rare good horror TV shows are. 

First two seasons of Twin Peaks and that’s about it really for me. Some shows are intermittently scary like The X-Files, certain episodes of Black Mirror or Inside No 9 maybe. Then there are decent shows based on horror like True Blood which I liked but wasn’t really scary.

Some of the older stuff was good back in the day like Tales of the unexpected and The twilight zone but they aren’t scary nowadays.

Compare The haunting of Hill house to Castle Rock which is another recent big budget horror show from a streaming giant and it’s so much better in every way.

9 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Just binged on the first 5 episodes tonight. Fuck me what a brilliant piece of telly so far.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, KMD7 said:

Just binged on the first 5 episodes tonight. Fuck me what a brilliant piece of telly so far.

Yeah, it really is excellent in every way. It’s getting almost universal praise, which is rare for horror. I wasn’t scared, I thought it was beautiful. It’s straight into my top 10. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, moof said:

Yeah. The one with Rosa Parks. It was pretty good. 

I think the new series of doctor who is pretty crappy. I didn't see any with the last doctor, but my kids wanted to watch this series. For me it's at best a kids programme. I thought that Rosa parks show was just an episode to tell you the Rosa parks story. Dull as shit if you know. The one this weekend was even worse, with the Donald trump character. 

Edited by Barry Wom

The best thing about Dr Who is the song from years ago. I don't think I've even watched the show since that song was released. 

Edit: I reckon the special effects on this music video are better than those on the trailers of the real show! You can even see the feet of the person inside one of the daleks and he's really making sure he's getting away from the car. Magnificent telly.