You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rate the last TV Show you watched

Guest Numero Veinticinco

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

I have, halfway through, it's really good, and very well put together.

I'm on series 2 of Channel Zero - the No End House. I hadn't heard of it until a few weeks ago. Highly recommend it to horror fans who might not have seen it. 

I’m looking forward to hearing if you still think Channel Zero is the best after finishing The Haunting of Hill House. 

http://www.vulture.com/2018/10/best-new-horror-movies-tv-shows-oct-2018.html

Channel Zero: The Dream Door (Syfy)
Full stop: Channel Zero is the scariest show on TV right now. Each season of this anthology series is based on a different internet myth (a creepypasta, if you will), and each one is a surreal, terrifying journey into the theater of the mind. Dream Door premieres on October 26, but this time around, the whole season will air over consecutive nights, culminating in a Halloween finale. If you’re looking for legitimate frights, this is the show to watch.

• Upvote 1

On 10/29/2018 at 6:02 AM, Shooter in the Motor said:

Still not converted or are you relieved that the horror is ending? 

I'm amazed at the reviews this is getting. I'm no longer a horror person but gave it a go because of the supposed great story line I kept reading about. Just didn't do it for me. Each to their own but it was honestly one of the worst things I've ever watched. The kids aside, I thought the acting was awful. One of the characters reminded me of of the mother in the Adams Family. 

On 10/29/2018 at 11:54 AM, johnsusername said:

Channel Zero is currently the best horror show on TV, IMO. It's freaky. 

I will check that out and will be back to vent my anger and neg in the event that it disappoints. Or alternatively heap praise and rep when it lives up to it's high billing.

One Mississippi 6/10.

A comedy drama in the vein of Louie or Maron with Tig Notaro which Amazon axed after two seasons to a limited public outrage demanding they keep it running because it apparently gives voice to an underrepresented demographic.  And the said demographic is almost a full house, Notaro's semi-autobiographical character is a middle-aged white woman, lesbian, double amputee breast cancer survivor who was sexually molested as a child and suffers from C-dif infection, which causes watery diarrhea.

You will probably rate it 7 or 8 if you are into that kind of thing, by which I don't mean watery diarrhea but slightly more daring television characters and formats and if names like Notaro or Diablo Cody or Nicole Holofcener or Louis C.K mean something to you. I rated lower because even though I found some elements interesting I couldn't  quite get into it. If your taste is mainly geared towards the mainstream, don't recommend it.

I think it was among the projects that fell victim to the Louis C.K scandal (he is one of the executive producers) and one of the things I found interesting is that in the last episode, it has a radio programme director masturbating during a meeting with a (female) producer which his boss describes as "out of the blue" because he was "so progressive", the entire S2 was released two months before the scandal broke, although allegations were not new, so make of it what you will.

Another interesting aspect is, spoiler alert, Notaro's character is apparently seen as extremely hot by other lesbians and she dates a number of good looking women who are all smitten by her, even though it is difficult to understand what they see in her and her radio show and this is not presented ironically.

Also, she pursues her heterosexual producer rather aggressively (psychologically) , in a dynamic which I guess the same people would see as "problematic"  had it been a heterosexual male character - she is a star, the radio producer depends on her and has to "deal" with her advances and the entire affair is presented as a courtship leading to a romance. I couldn't help but feel similar situation depicted among heterosexuals in a 1960s film would now be interpreted as sexual harassment. Such instances of lack of (self)awareness abound, so if it doesn't get you hooked on the plot or make you care for the characters, there is still fun to be had if you like to dabble in a bit of narrative interpretation and such like.

• Upvote 1