You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Watershed moment for LFC, says I. If Suarez leaves, which I think he will, it's highly symbolic for where we stand in the rankings. No longer will we be able to attract players of such talent easily. Jovetic? Higuain? Forget about it. Top's Law dictates that top players will want to play for top clubs, and currently we're not one of them. We can't offer the wages or trophies. Four years out of the Champions League and no European football at all next season. Serious question marks over the ability to qualify for the CL for 2014/2015 (and the one after that...). It is looking very grim.

I really fear for next season. True, Suarez leaving could galvanise the rest of the squad and if the money is spent well he'll be forgotten about soon enough. On the other hand it could easily go the other way.

Pivotal summer for Rodgers and LFC.

Not sure if I've read you right here. Presumably you're not suggesting we'd spend the whole lot on one striker? Because no player who's remotely worth that kind of money will come to us if we can't offer them European football.

That was the whole subtle point of the thread!

Well done Neil.

Sadly it looks likely that my 83% chance of staying was a bit optimistic, and we will soon find out that replacing a great player is as difficult as it looks by the suggestions on here.

I suspect that someone is selling bullshit. I don't know if it is the fat Spanish twat or Ayre who is trying to sweeten the pain.

In the interview, Suarez actually says that he likes Liverpool, he really enjoys being here and that he is only a human who just made a mistake(biting incident). He says that his family suffered from the negative media which crossed the limits. He says nothing about not being settled well in Liverpool and all that.

The club has not protected him. Why are they reproducing lies? They want to sell him so they can get the cash, but at least they should admit it, not reproduce lies.

I suspect that someone is selling bullshit. I don't know if it is the fat Spanish twat or Ayre who is trying to sweeten the pain.

In the interview, Suarez actually says that he likes Liverpool, he really enjoys being here and that he is only a human who just made a mistake(biting incident). He says that his family suffered from the negative media which crossed the limits. He says nothing about not being settled well in Liverpool and all that.

The club has not protected him. Why are they reproducing lies? They want to sell him so they can get the cash, but at least they should admit it, not reproduce lies.

I don't believe that the club wants to sell him any more than I believe that Suarez has said all of this because he's upset about the media.

Suarez will leave this summer because he wants to be playing Champions League football and that's the top and bottom of it sadly.

If we'd supported him properly over the Evra incident the whole biting incident probably wouldn't have happened. I fully blame the club.

Erm...so he bit Ivanovic because Ian Ayre made him apologise over 12 months ago? Did Ayre make him bite Bakkal as well?

The fuck?

Watershed moment for LFC, says I. If Suarez leaves, which I think he will, it's highly symbolic for where we stand in the rankings. No longer will we be able to attract players of such talent easily. Jovetic? Higuain? Forget about it. Top's Law dictates that top players will want to play for top clubs, and currently we're not one of them. We can't offer the wages or trophies. Four years out of the Champions League and no European football at all next season. Serious question marks over the ability to qualify for the CL for 2014/2015 (and the one after that...). It is looking very grim.

I really fear for next season. True, Suarez leaving could galvanise the rest of the squad and if the money is spent well he'll be forgotten about soon enough. On the other hand it could easily go the other way.

Pivotal summer for Rodgers and LFC.

Hammer, nail, head.

Exactly what I have been telling people for some time. Two seasons finishing just above mid table, no European football, not paying top wages anymore...we have very little here to attract top world class players. The only draw at the moment is the chance to play alongside other world class players like Suarez and Gerrard, but if we start off loading our best players, then nobody decent will come here. Without really good players, we wont break back into top four and we will become established as a mid table team. A steady decline if you like.

We need a really good summer, we need the owners to show some intent and spend money. Rodgers, to his credit, has done okay with virtually no money to spend, landing the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge, but they can only do so much. We need some quality injecting into the squad so we can mount a serious challenge on the top four again. FSG need to put their hands in their pockets and back Rodgers in the transfer market. They haven't spent much in the last 12 months, and have off-loaded some deadwood and slashed the wage bill, so now that cash needs to be reinvested in the squad. If we get it wrong this summer, we wont be seeing European football here for the foreseeable future.

It is a sad fact of life, but success in football is linked to how much money is spent. Chelsea and Man City have proved that. For decades, both were mid-table teams, but now they are pretty much guaranteed European football and top four finishes. FSG need to spend big and keep hold of Suarez, especially as Utd, City, Chelsea and Everton will be adjusting to new managers. If ever there was a time to go on the offensive...this is it, but we need world class players like Suarez to do it.

Oh and he says he loves Liverpool but if there is a chance to play in the Spanish league he would consider it because he suffered a lot from all these incidents.

He says nothing about not liking the City.

Ballbag you are a dirty liar.

Have to say its not quite as heartbreaking as having to stir out of a flat window whilst pouring with rain and seeing a fellow countryman stirring back through his flat window is it.

First things first. I think Suarez is a beaut player.

And second, once a player starts intimating that he will listen to/is open to/interested in other offers, then maybe it's time the club started entertaining these offers too.

I think the sale of Suarez would be a make or break situation for where we currently stand.

It would answer very quickly the questions of our bargaining power, and the judgment of the current management to people the squad with the requisite talent.

I don't want to lose Suarez, but if he goes, it's a decisive examination of the club and where it's going.

And perhaps provide us with a faster, more direct answer to our questions, doubts, hopes...

That might not be the worst thing in the world, and if it's the situation where in for, I could persuade myself into welcoming it.

We need a really good summer, we need the owners to show some intent and spend money. Rodgers, to his credit, has done okay with virtually no money to spend, landing the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge, but they can only do so much. We need some quality injecting into the squad so we can mount a serious challenge on the top four again. FSG need to put their hands in their pockets and back Rodgers in the transfer market. They haven't spent much in the last 12 months, and have off-loaded some deadwood and slashed the wage bill, so now that cash needs to be reinvested in the squad. If we get it wrong this summer, we wont be seeing European football here for the foreseeable future.

surely that boat sailed last summer. Choosing Rodgers, last summer's mediocre signings, even Sturridge and Coutinho who are good but not world class (at least yet for Coutinho) meant that we made our bed this time last year.

surely that boat sailed last summer. Choosing Rodgers, last summer's mediocre signings, even Sturridge and Coutinho who are good but not world class (at least yet for Coutinho) meant that we made our bed this time last year.

As opposed to the time before that or the time before that?

Stop making out rodgers is some inept nobody that nobody wants to play for because you have an agenda to continue.

It should be mentioned that Torres and Suarez were on the cusp of greatness and we turned them into megastars. We didn't buy the finished article.

Good point.

We are, and always were, vulnerable to losing our best players to any club in the Top Four or Euro elite subsequent to our failure to even secure an EL spot.

Losing Suarez would be a blow to our elite pretensions, but it would not be a knockout blow.

This is precisely where our manager earns his corn, a couple of transfer windows like last January would establish us back as top four contenders. It isn't about buying 'world class' players for us, it's about buying up and coming talent before they reach their peak.

I've no idea what Suarez actually said in the interview, I assume there will be a flurry of denials just as there was a couple of months ago?

When you have a top flight player playing in a mid-table side at the moment the outcome is pretty inevitable. Given that if Real Madrid or Barcelona come calling it would be pretty difficult for us to hang onto a South American or indeed any player even if we were firmly established in the top 4.

If he goes, this is another opportunity for our manager armed with a serious transfer budget to build a successful team. We blew it last time.

It should be mentioned that Torres and Suarez were on the cusp of greatness and we turned them into megastars. We didn't buy the finished article.

Precisely, which is why a player like Jovetic or Lamela is what we really need.

The problem is that there is zero margin for error on this one. The likes of Aspas and Eriksen are good players (hopefully), but they're not going to replace one of the top 5 players in the world. We turned Torres into a megastar, as you say, but then we got lucky to bring in Suarez just as he left. We need to repeat the trick again - whoever we buy has got to be the kind of player to hit the ground running and step up their current game a notch to world-class level.