You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Here's the deal.

I reckon there's around an 83% chance that Suarez is still with us next season, however this thread isn't for arguing the merits of keeping or selling Luis or even if he would want to leave. It isn't for stating the amount of money that we should consider accepting for Suarez. It is not intended for rants against FSG and/or Rodgers for not understanding football if they even countenance the sale of Suarez.

It is for purely hypothetical suggestions of who could replace Suarez were we to sell him.

He's more of the deal - this thread isn't for people saying "I'd also sell Downing, Shelvey, Allen and Assaidi and spend the money on two strikers and a defensive midfielder." No. Here's the proposition:

You are Brendan Rodgers. You have a picture of yourself in your front hall and a strange hybrid Northern Irish/Scottish accent. You also have Code72's dream job of managing Liverpool. You have just received £45 million and want to spend it on a single player to replace Luis Suarez in the Liverpool front line. Bear in mind the reality of this situation, the cash to spend, the wages to offer (~ £120k/week) and the lure of the club. Who are you buying?

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Suarez wants out I would take the 40 mil (release clause) and spend it on the best central midfielder and winger we can lay our hands on and then play Coutinho behind Sturridge. So we lose 'some' fire power up front but become ridiculously strong through the middle and wide areas.

I would take a bit of a different tack on this, since in my hypothetical situation I won't be sacked if we don't finish in the top 4 this season. Instead, I'm after a bigger goal - winning the league in the next 5 years.

I'd offer half of the proceeds to Barca for Gerard Deulofeu and half to Ajax for Viktor Fischer. I would then have a forward line of Sterling, Fischer and Deulofeu with Coutinho behind them. Sure, we're going to struggle this season but in 3 years time we're going to have the best attack in the league.

I would take a bit of a different tack on this, since in my hypothetical situation I won't be sacked if we don't finish in the top 4 this season. Instead, I'm after a bigger goal - winning the league in the next 5 years.

I'd offer half of the proceeds to Barca for Gerard Deulofeu and half to Ajax for Viktor Fischer. I would then have a forward line of Sterling, Fischer and Deulofeu with Coutinho behind them. Sure, we're going to struggle this season but in 3 years time we're going to have the best attack in the league.

Which league is that? The Championship?

If Suarez wants out I would take the 40 mil (release clause) and spend it on the best central midfielder and winger we can lay our hands on and then play Coutinho behind Sturridge. So we lose 'some' fire power up front but become ridiculously strong through the middle and wide areas.

is the right answer