You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Introduction:

Last night, and the other game, and last season, and the last few years, have indicated the big flaw in our squad. We need a quick, direct, attacking player who can score goals and create chances for others. In some parlance, they used to be known as 'wingers', but are now usually referred to as 'wide forwards', or something like that.

Information:

I was watching last night, and of course I recognise that it's a young side shorn of the attacking talents of Gerrard, Suarez, Borini, Downing and Carroll, I see that. And I was thinking, hmmm, I wonder how much better we would play if we bought Joe Allen for £15m and put him in the side. I think the honest answer to that is, 'not a lot'. Even if we had 100% possession in all games, I still think we're short of AT LEAST one player who can something out-of-the-ordinary with the ball at their feet.

Dramatisation:

I liken this situation to us being a jet fighter but without any ammo. We just swoop around the skies looking menacing, but unable to really do any damage.

Executive Summary:

If we're going to pay £15m for a player, now, then it would be a mistake for that player NOT to be an attacker who can help us to score goals and scare the opposition.

Suggestions:

Don't give a fuck, anyone, someone.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Introduction:

Last night

Let me stop you there...

But yeah, we need more attacking players, but I think we're likely to do some deals if Carroll leaves.

You're right, we absolutely need someone who can create a bit of magic. Suarez is the only player we have who can create chances himself. We needed that sort of player last year and we signed Downing.

Bellamy is apparently leaving, which isn't good, and Sterling's still a kid. Yeah, he could be good, very good, whatever, but he's a kid, he's not the answer. We need a good attacker, it's absolutely clear. I really really hope we don't think Joe Cole is that player.

Introduction:

Last night, and the other game, and last season, and the last few years, have indicated the big flaw in our squad. We need a quick, direct, attacking player who can score goals and create chances for others. In some parlance, they used to be known as 'wingers', but are now usually referred to as 'wide forwards', or something like that.

Information:

I was watching last night, and of course I recognise that it's a young side shorn of the attacking talents of Gerrard, Suarez, Borini, Downing and Carroll, I see that. And I was thinking, hmmm, I wonder how much better we would play if we bought Joe Allen for £15m and put him in the side. I think the honest answer to that is, 'not a lot'. Even if we had 100% possession in all games, I still think we're short of AT LEAST one player who can something out-of-the-ordinary with the ball at their feet.

Dramatisation:

I liken this situation to us being a jet fighter but without any ammo. We just swoop around the skies looking menacing, but unable to really do any damage.

Executive Summary:

If we're going to pay £15m for a player, now, then it would be a mistake for that player NOT to be an attacker who can help us to score goals and scare the opposition.

Suggestions:

Don't give a fuck, anyone, someone.

Don't be so daft. Why buy a good attacking wide player when you can buy centre forwards or centre midfileders and just play them wide. Evey single other manager since Evans left has done it so why stop now and even he did with McAteer to a certain extent although that was wing back.

Murphy, Biscan, Kuyt, Meireles, Henderson, and all in this time can you remember one right winger a manager has went out and signed? In the past 15 years. Jermaine Pennant is the only one and he's a cunt and is shit and anyone could have told you that before we signed him.

When you actually think about it's a fucking disgrace. Now we sign Borini and the first two things I have heard about him are "he's hard working" and "he can play out wide." Why is it no matter who is in charge of us we just load up on centre mids every single fucking summer transfer window. Can nobody see that we've already got about 10? Sign some poeple who run with the ball and take risks.

On a side note we've got fucking Glen Johnson there and a solid young right back in Martin Kelly who needs games. Just fucking do it Brendan, please. When that light bulb finally goes off with a manager for us it will never go out.

we don't fucking need anyone !!!!

Suarez and Borini feeding into carroll as a front 3 with bellamy and sterling as back-up?!

Spend any money on a fucking defensive midfielder !

Isn't Bellamy rumoured to be leaving though? Big loss if it's true

i'd like us to spend 10- 15 million on some foreign lad with a boss foreign name who i've never heard of before but will get my expectations sky high once again, only for him to turn out shite as usual.

But at least I'd be momentarily exited.

Like who? All the recent flops have been British. Aquilani's really the only one in recent times who falls into that category.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Massive.

Depends on who we replace him with. He's rocking on now and can't play every week, so if we use his hefty wage to bring in a talented younger player, I don't think we'll miss him. He scored 6 goals in the league last year, and he had a good start to the season. I don't think we should worry too much about losing him.

We've been linked with the like of Callejón and Deulofeu. If we can get somebody like that in for 7/8m, but on less wages, it'd be a step up.

Originally Posted by diamondjoe

i'd like us to spend 10- 15 million on some foreign lad with a boss foreign name who i've never heard of before but will get my expectations sky high once again, only for him to turn out shite as usual.

William Oliveira Souza aka William McLaren.

Liverpool to sign William McLaren | Mail Online

I'd like us to spend £10m/£15m on some foreign lad I have heard of who will get my expectations sky high and then turn out to be really good.

Depends on who we replace him with. He's rocking on now and can't play every week, so if we use his hefty wage to bring in a talented younger player, I don't think we'll miss him. He scored 6 goals in the league last year, and he had a good start to the season. I don't think we should worry too much about losing him.

We've been linked with the like of Callejón and Deulofeu. If we can get somebody like that in for 7/8m, but on less wages, it'd be a step up.

Experience and leadership though. With Carragher hopefully playing fewer games this year, we need more leaders on the pitch. We lack people who stand up and be counted, and Bellamy does that. We need to add another winger, not replace our best one.

Don't be so daft. Why buy a good attacking wide player when you can buy centre forwards or centre midfileders and just play them wide. Evey single other manager since Evans left has done it so why stop now and even he did with McAteer to a certain extent although that was wing back.

Murphy, Biscan, Kuyt, Meireles, Henderson, and all in this time can you remember one right winger a manager has went out and signed? In the past 15 years. Jermaine Pennant is the only one and he's a cunt and is shit and anyone could have told you that before we signed him.

When you actually think about it's a fucking disgrace. Now we sign Borini and the first two things I have heard about him are "he's hard working" and "he can play out wide." Why is it no matter who is in charge of us we just load up on centre mids every single fucking summer transfer window. Can nobody see that we've already got about 10? Sign some poeple who run with the ball and take risks.

On a side note we've got fucking Glen Johnson there and a solid young right back in Martin Kelly who needs games. Just fucking do it Brendan, please. When that light bulb finally goes off with a manager for us it will never go out.

Nunez.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Experience and leadership though. With Carragher hopefully playing fewer games this year, we need more leaders on the pitch. We lack people who stand up and be counted, and Bellamy does that. We need to add another winger, not replace our best one.

Did he really do that, though? I mean, he pushed hard on the pitch, no doubt. I get the 'leaders' thing, too; Rafa had a load of team captains in his side and that worked fairly well. However, Bellamy only started 12 games last year. He was more of a quality sub than a leader on the pitch.

It depends how we are going to play. Carroll and Suarez are fine as the big/little man combo with crosses whipped in- but that is not Rodger's style.

It is difficult to see Carroll being used as anything other than an impact plan B. Suarez is intelligent enough but is not a lone striker, and our midfield do not have goals in them at the moment. Suarez with Gerrard playing just behind is an obvious option.

I am really pleased that Rodgers has bitten the bullet on Carroll. Whether the scoring answer comes from a reshuffled pack ( and i think it can score more) or from a new signing I am not sure. But a season when we were outscored by relegated Blackburn Rovers demands a forward rethink.

Did he really do that, though? I mean, he pushed hard on the pitch, no doubt. I get the 'leaders' thing, too; Rafa had a load of team captains in his side and that worked fairly well. However, Bellamy only started 12 games last year. He was more of a quality sub than a leader on the pitch.

I always felt he did, yes... I'd say that the majority of games Bellamy played really well in were ones he started, not ones where he came off the bench. I don't think he was ever a supersub as such. Yeah, he provided an option off the bench but he was never a game-changer. We always looked a better side with Bellamy starting IMO.

Credit where credit's due though, Rafa brought in Leto, Gonzalez and El Zhar as well. None of them were much good, but none of them cost over £3m either, so there's the issue.

Would you consider Babel was a winger? I'd have Babel back for a low fee, admittedly. I think he excellend with Ajax and the Dutch team as a kid because he was given freedom to express himself. I think Rodgers could/would give him that license to be creative, and he'd also have Suarez to bounce off in terms of inventing some madcap ways through defences.

But he's still a potential £4m buy or thereabouts. We still need that £15m - £25m signing with real quality. It's no coincidence that United and Chelsea have both targeted that area to strengthen, it's what separates the men from the boys.

As much as I hope it's not Hoilett or Moses, I'd accept either right now just to start us off.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
So he never signed a contract for Liverpool from another club?

"can you remember one right winger a manager has went out and signed?"

He didn't seek him out, did he. He was included in another deal. Next.