You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Well I have started walking,or will be tomorrow.

3.6miles to work in the morning,normally takes me around a hour. Get the work bus halfway home and walk the rest except at weekends were it will be both ways.

Not much choice after some twat nicked my bike.

Good on yer, rico. Not sure exactly what your training plan is but if you're doing a mix of runs of differing lengths, you may also find that your 'standard' shorter run ends up feeling harder work than your longer runs. Not sure if its psychological or just about warming up and getting into a rhythm on the longer runs, or a combination of both things (which is probably the case)

• 6 months later...

I've doing the Cloud 9 Hill Race in 2 weeks, I'm doing 8 min miles at the moment so should break the 1:30 taking into account the massive hill. Also invested in some trail shoes as when I did it last year I spent a lot of time on my arse.

Think I've said before a woman I work with is helping me, she's 40 too but smashes me out of the water. She's doing the London Marathon and did 20 miles this week at 7:15 min miles.

Yeah, so my first run in 7 months killed me. Have since been to the pub and had a number of pints of Abbeydale Brewery's ale and now feel superhuman. Notwithstanding the fact that when I got home and had a coughing fit I nearly shite myself.

What a fine specimen you are, mister!

I've doing the Cloud 9 Hill Race in 2 weeks, I'm doing 8 min miles at the moment so should break the 1:30 taking into account the massive hill. Also invested in some trail shoes as when I did it last year I spent a lot of time on my arse.

Think I've said before a woman I work with is helping me, she's 40 too but smashes me out of the water. She's doing the London Marathon and did 20 miles this week at 7:15 min miles.

Respect to you both. That looks like a great event, btw

Haven't ran a mile since I had a nasty head knock last summer. Missing it.

Me neither and while I'm loving my cycling its not the same workout as running and I've been thinking of giving it another go. The bumping of this thread may be the tipping point

Worst thing for me last night was the poxy stitch. I'm assuming that'll not happen once I'm fitter but what can I do to avoid getting one? I was almost doubled over in pain at one point, you just can't run through that shit.

Dont know if this is any help....

BBC SPORT | Health & Fitness | What causes a stitch?

Managed a very poor quality ten miles today. Feel awful now but that kind of mileage should stand me in good stead. Doing the Liverpool HM in three week.

Good effort, how long did it take?

I've got the Wilmslow half in 6 weeks, hoping to do 10 tomorrow.

Do you find you get bored of doing the same long runs? I need to see new things to keep me entertained otherwise I get slower. My standard run is now boring my arse off and I'm not seeing improvement - but if I go somewhere new my times improve.

Yeah, so my first run in 7 months killed me. Have since been to the pub and had a number of pints of Abbeydale Brewery's ale and now feel superhuman. Notwithstanding the fact that when I got home and had a coughing fit I nearly shite myself.

[YOUTUBE]AosWDv2oc3A&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/YOUTUBE]

I'm doing the half marathon as well. I'm hoping to beat the 140:00 I did last year but I've got a cunt of head cold at the moment, so it's hindering my training.

Is that 1hr 40 or 140min (2hr 20)?

My ambition was to break 2hrs but dont think its going to happen now

Good effort, how long did it take?

I've got the Wilmslow half in 6 weeks, hoping to do 10 tomorrow.

Do you find you get bored of doing the same long runs? I need to see new things to keep me entertained otherwise I get slower. My standard run is now boring my arse off and I'm not seeing improvement - but if I go somewhere new my times improve.

I'm a bit like Chevy Chase in Caddyshack in that I don't really measure. Probably about 7.45/mile but really struggled from about three in. Running the half with mates and they want to get round in under two hours.

1 hour 40 minutes Champ. When I was a wipper snapper in the Army' date=' I ran a mile and a half in 7 minutes 30 seconds.

I was always good a cross country in school.[/quote']

5 min miles, then? Now that is serious running! I'm impressed

Second run done, same 3k course in 19:40, a massive 2:50 off Friday's abysmal first effort. No stitch tonight, makes a huge difference. Right calf is very tight where I tore my tendon last year but I'm guessing that's just scar tissue not being so stretchy as a normal calf or something. This'll get much easier as the weight comes off.

Getting into it now. 4th run done, settling around 19:15. Just got to keep grinding these out 3 times a week for a month or so then I'll up the distance a bit. So tempting to give it a miss tonight after a long week, just wanted to go to the pub but managed to stave that off.