You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

Unbelieveable last 12 hours or so. Whilst limping barefoot round my flat I managed to smash my right foot into a door. My middle toe is now black.

Managed to get to the the doc this morning. He said my calf is "probably muscle or tendon related." You don't fucking say...

He said not to try running "for a week, or two, maybe more." I can barely walk so I could have worked that out myself too. He prescribed me some ibuprofen gel which actually only costs a couple of quid to buy and said if my toe hasn't improved in a couple of weeks go to casualty and ask them for an x-ray. This is what I pay national fucking insurance for? What a waste of space. Joke of a country.

Unbelieveable last 12 hours or so. Whilst limping barefoot round my flat I managed to smash my right foot into a door. My middle toe is now black.

Managed to get to the the doc this morning. He said my calf is "probably muscle or tendon related." You don't fucking say...

He said not to try running "for a week, or two, maybe more." I can barely walk so I could have worked that out myself too. He prescribed me some ibuprofen gel which actually only costs a couple of quid to buy and said if my toe hasn't improved in a couple of weeks go to casualty and ask them for an x-ray. This is what I pay national fucking insurance for? What a waste of space. Joke of a country.

I know you're pissed off about your running but what were you expecting....sometimes there's nothing else you can do but let time does its stuff

Bad Beef Lurtz :(

My knee has been giving me a bit of jip, I am hoping that it is front squats at the gym rather than running. I went for a light run this morning but was goosed after 2K so came home. Did 5K tonight which is the futhest I have have ever gone (3K previously). Weak as piss really distance wise, but pleased with 7K for the day.

Slow steady build up over months and anyone can do it. Did the Chester Half Marathon this year. Don't necessarily love unending but I don't hate it and it keeps the weight down (a bit). Would never find the time to train for a full. Loads of warm ups and training plans on google and app stores on the iPhone.

Went out for the first run I've done in a few days (sorry, RL)...had wimped out of going in the pouring rain the past few days....and does it feel good! Not far but far enough to get the heart pumping and release some of those endorphins

Guest San Don
I've had a fucking mare tonight - the full Weston Super. About 2k into my run I realised my left calf was hurting a bit. Didn't think too much of it and thought I'd run it off. About 500m later I felt like someone had stabbed me in the calf. Game over. I hobbled home and I'm limping all over the place.

I can feel a spot right in the middle of my calf where the pain's coming from so it may be a tear or something. Off to the docs tomorrow if it's not miraculously cleared up by the morning. I'm fucking gutted. No idea how long these things take to clear up but hopefully no more than a week or so. Bad times. *sniff*

Like with any pain you get when running, you should stop immediately. I know we all want to carry on (been there and done it myself) but all you do is make it worse.

If its in your calf, like as not its a pull or small tear. Best thing is rest unless you can get to a physio. You should lay off running for 7 to 10 days or until you feel no pain when walking normally. In the meantime, try some gentle massage of your calf with some gel for muscle strains.

If you are a quick runner, you really should do some warming up before running. If you are a slow runner it is not as important although some people say you should still do some warm up exercise.

Oh, and when you do start running again, take it easy for the first one or two runs.

Fuckety fuck fucking fucking fuck.

Left it 2 weeks without so much as walking too quickly, felt as right as rain the last few days. Went out tonight just to do a couple of k and about 500 metres in - bang. Same calf, same place, same pain though not as severe. Really fucking pissed off. Back to limping again. Gutted. Another week at the very minimum, more like two, before I can run again. Supposed to be doing an organised 5k in Leeds in 4 weeks.

Like with any pain you get when running, you should stop immediately. I know we all want to carry on (been there and done it myself) but all you do is make it worse.

If its in your calf, like as not its a pull or small tear. Best thing is rest unless you can get to a physio. You should lay off running for 7 to 10 days or until you feel no pain when walking normally. In the meantime, try some gentle massage of your calf with some gel for muscle strains.

If you are a quick runner, you really should do some warming up before running. If you are a slow runner it is not as important although some people say you should still do some warm up exercise.

Oh, and when you do start running again, take it easy for the first one or two runs.

Got to say that I don't agree with this. I've been running for about seven years and if I stopped at any pain I get when I go for a run I'd never get past mile one. I agree on the warming up bit though.

Bad news RL. Really need to see a physio, hopefully a case of massage and a stretching routine.

I had a calf issue last year, when I went from running on treadmills for four weeks (due to work schedule) to running up and down steep hills. Felt like a golf ball was in my calf any time I went running. Saw a physio, who gave me some post run stretches, but more importantly also said I could carry on running, as long as it was all slow and steady. Also got my gait checked out and it had changed from my previous check, so new trainers necessary. Carried on running and stretching, all pain gone within two weeks.

11 weeks in

39 weeks to go

Averaging just under 8 miles a week

Down to 8 mins 20 per mile

Finally starting to lose a little timber, not a lot mind, down to 87 kilos from 90.

Apologies. Until what?

Fuckety fuck fucking fucking fuck.

Left it 2 weeks without so much as walking too quickly, felt as right as rain the last few days. Went out tonight just to do a couple of k and about 500 metres in - bang. Same calf, same place, same pain though not as severe. Really fucking pissed off. Back to limping again. Gutted. Another week at the very minimum, more like two, before I can run again. Supposed to be doing an organised 5k in Leeds in 4 weeks.

This is like reading my diary (if I was a teenage girl and kept one)! I started back at the gym about 6 years ago, and within two years my calfs where fucked, I gave up and went swimming, about a year ago the pool closed for refurbishment so I started back at the gym and almost immediately my calf's starting going. It feels like someone is pushing a pen into my calf, eventually after trying all sorts of different training methods, leaving it for a week, alternating between swimming and running, i decided to call it quits and just go back to the swimming. I go fed up not being able to push it and step up.

Apparently as you get older, although your CV and fitness improves quite quickly through running, your bones/muscless don't they are more suspect to inuries and you are supposed to do a mile a day for the first couple of months and slowly build up over the course of a year (the physio even suggested as much as two years!), otherwise you run the risk of injury!

I think a lot of these injuries could be down to overtraining, poor form and not eating enough. If I start to reduce my calories too much in an attempt to lose weight I find I start to get little niggles all the time. I think it is important to eat plenty and get lots of sleep.

Specific strength exercises can also help. The problems in a calf could be as a result of a weakness in another area of your body forcing it to take to much strain.

Defo get a gait analysis done and if possible get a physio who knows about running to have a look. It does however help massively if you have decent all round conditioning and try any other type of intense exercise that will strengthen your core.