You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

That is quite a challenge, RJ, although you sound as if you have prepared well for it. What's the furthest you've walked training for this?

And another thing, not expecting an answer really, why is it that some days a run goes really well and other days, for no obvious reason, your legs feel like they're made of concrete or your cant breathe or some other nonsense? I didnt like to post that I feel like I've turned the corner back to running fit (no pun intended) but today was one of those really good days. Had no expectations when I set off but that was Good!

Yeah, I do quite a bit and as I say I've been training alongside my mate in any case. I'm confirdent I'll finish, but perhaps not as comfortable as if I'd had more time to prepare.

Longest I've walked recently is probably about 23 mile. I know big parts of the Downs anyway as I live a few miles away and luckily the night-time walking should be my local paths which I know quite well.

I walked a few 30 milers last year, and I know how much they hurt, so obviously its twice that, so I expect a challenge and pain, but all should be good as the lads I'm teaming with are boss anyway.

here the website if anyone is curious or crazy enough to want to do it themselves.

Training and the route

The Challenge

P.s. I get the odd stone leg day, but its usually when I'm not properly rested.

Guest San Don

FUCK!!!

I used the Search option with 'Running' and 'Jogging' and the fuckerty thing didnt find this thread!

Bollox, bollox, bollox!

Guest San Don
Never bother with Search functions Google The Liverpool Way followed by whatever I'm looking for...seems to work

Top tip. I'll remember that!

Still fucking frustrating though.

Anyhoo, went for a short run in the new Saucony Ride 4's. Very light shoe, comfy, what more can one ask? Just need to break them in with a few more runs before I do 12k in them.

The 5k's every Monday and Friday are becoming more comfortable week by week. I've kind of developed a perma-ache but on the plus side my legs are like concrete now and I feel pretty good. I've lost a lot of weight and I can't remember the last time I felt this fit.

I've had to dip out of the York 10k as there's a big family bash that weekend in the South West but I'm doing an organised 5k the week after and will be doing the 10k Leeds Abbey Dash later this year.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing and just hope there are no adverse reactions from my iffy knee. That said, I've got medical cover with my job so if anything goes awry I'll get straight to the doctor and have it sorted.

Signed up to the Liverpool marathon tonight, training started last Monday so let's see how it goes...

Good luck with the training. I reckon my marathon chances are long gone, best I'd do is the GNR I reckon, and that's a long shot. Hats off to anyone who can run for 26 miles.

The 5k's every Monday and Friday are becoming more comfortable week by week. I've kind of developed a perma-ache but on the plus side my legs are like concrete now and I feel pretty good. I've lost a lot of weight and I can't remember the last time I felt this fit.

I've had to dip out of the York 10k as there's a big family bash that weekend in the South West but I'm doing an organised 5k the week after and will be doing the 10k Leeds Abbey Dash later this year.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing and just hope there are no adverse reactions from my iffy knee. That said, I've got medical cover with my job so if anything goes awry I'll get straight to the doctor and have it sorted.

This is all so you can fit into that Neds T Shirt for ther Summer festivals isn't it?

What distances are you running, and at what stage does it become unbearably hard work and awful?

Ok i've been running for 2 months now (preparing for a marathon in April). last week I did 12 miles in 2 runs. 7 miles is taking me about an hour.

I wouldn't say i'm enjoying it but I'm beginning to enjoy the way it makes me feel afterwards, my body has firmed up a bit but I still haven't lost any weight which is annoying.

I'm starting to realise that running is more of a mental challenge than anything, I've now got to the point where 10 miles doesn't seem like a really long run but 26 miles is still feeling unachievable.

I'm also hungry all of the time.

Ok i've been running for 2 months now (preparing for a marathon in April). last week I did 12 miles in 2 runs. 7 miles is taking me about an hour.

I wouldn't say i'm enjoying it but I'm beginning to enjoy the way it makes me feel afterwards, my body has firmed up a bit but I still haven't lost any weight which is annoying.

I'm starting to realise that running is more of a mental challenge than anything, I've now got to the point where 10 miles doesn't seem like a really long run but 26 miles is still feeling unachievable.

Sounds like you're on your way....and that's a reasonable pace. What's your target?

I thought I was the only person who puts on weight when I'm running...all muscle, you understand. I certainly dont do it to lose weight and as I start to build up miles I wake up in the middle of the night hungry

And you're right about the mental challenge..I always say to people if you can run 10k you can run a marathon...the rest is in your head (it may not be quite true but you get the idea)

Good luck...and keep posting

Guest San Don

You're feeling hungry because your body is burning more calories due to your running. The temptation is to eat more to feed the hunger and also help you run more frequently.

To lose weight, you have to resist the temptation to eat because you'll actually eat more than you do normally. Drink a little water( a normal glass not a pint glass!) instead as this helps to combat the feeling of hunger.

You may feel like shit for a while when you dont eat to feed the hunger after a run but it's the only way to lose weight. I shed just under 2.5 stone 3 years ago after upping my mileage and cutting down on the food but I dont know what was harder, not eating as much or running longer!

I've got the GNR in 10 weeks, been a lazy fat bastard for 3 months and training starts this week. I'm 40, 88 kgs and want to do it in 1:45. The only way I'll do that is to stop making excuses and hit the road... Here's to a painful few weeks!

I started running in 2008 when I lived in Oz and had put on a bit of weight.

I only ever run on my treadmill.

I do 5-10km per day. I feel fucked for the first 30 minutes after a run but the rest of the day is a dream. I have developed numerous ideas for academic papers whilst on the treadmill.

And I can eat whatever I like without putting onw eight

Hi - appreciate some advice. I need a goal to lose weight and to motivate me. So in January of this year, I signed up for a half marathon (it is on October 13th of this year). Well, family shit happened (I know, excuses) and here I am on July 2 with no training commenced. I'll be honest. I'm 44, overweight and haven't exercised with any conviction since I was 36. At that time I was fit and used to run 5 miles three times a week interspersed with squash games on other days.

Can anyone suggest a couch to half marathon plan in 16 or so weeks? If the answer is "tough shit, too late you lazy bloater", then thats fine too. Just wondering if those in the know about this stuff thinks it is still possible.

Cheers.

Hi - appreciate some advice. I need a goal to lose weight and to motivate me. So in January of this year, I signed up for a half marathon (it is on October 13th of this year). Well, family shit happened (I know, excuses) and here I am on July 2 with no training commenced. I'll be honest. I'm 44, overweight and haven't exercised with any conviction since I was 36. At that time I was fit and used to run 5 miles three times a week interspersed with squash games on other days.

Can anyone suggest a couch to half marathon plan in 16 or so weeks? If the answer is "tough shit, too late you lazy bloater", then thats fine too. Just wondering if those in the know about this stuff thinks it is still possible.

Cheers.

It really isn't too late, you just have to manage your expectations. You're not going to run the half in sub 2:00 but you might surprise yourself if you're willing to put in the effort. There is some good advice on this thread about getting started but also Runners World has some great info on getting off the sofa and running an event.

Beginners forum - Runner's World

It really isn't too late, you just have to manage your expectations. You're not going to run the half in sub 2:00 but you might surprise yourself if you're willing to put in the effort. There is some good advice on this thread about getting started but also Runners World has some great info on getting off the sofa and running an event.

Beginners forum - Runner's World

Cheers Mate - appreciate the words / link.

Signed up to the Liverpool marathon tonight, training started last Monday so let's see how it goes...

First run tonight in the pissing rain, eight steady miles in 61 minutes. My problem with the Liverpool Marathon is it's less than fifteen weeks away and between then and now I have one stag do, three weddings and one two week beach holiday, if I complete this I'll be promoting the binge drinking marathon guide!

My Sons are going to do the Liverpool marathon,they are running about 6 to 7 miles a day for 4 days and a shorter distance for 2 days in a week, you have to admire the work they put in, and any one else who attemps a Marathon deserves all the credit they can get.

Each to their own but I hope they're upping their mileage at some stage. By the time runners get 8-10 weeks into their marathon training the likely thing that will fail them on the big day is their muscles not their lungs and the only way to get your calves and hamstrings up to scratch is to do a long run of up to three hours at least twice in their training programme. Generally you do a long run at the weekend which ranges from about ten miles at the start up to twenty about four weeks out from the marathon.

Each to their own but I hope they're upping their mileage at some stage. By the time runners get 8-10 weeks into their marathon training the likely thing that will fail them on the big day is their muscles not their lungs and the only way to get your calves and hamstrings up to scratch is to do a long run of up to three hours at least twice in their training programme. Generally you do a long run at the weekend which ranges from about ten miles at the start up to twenty about four weeks out from the marathon.

My eldest son done the half marathon in March,but they will start stepping up the mileage,but they run a lot of miles every week just ticking over and they do a lot of Cardio work in the Gym.

Champ & Don - many thanks for your supporting words

the only target i'm setting is to keep running the whole way round, if i can do that then it'll probably be 4 1/2 hours which would be great.

I ran again today, 8 miles, 2 mins quicker than last week, feel stronger, still the same weight, still absolutely fucking starving.

I've had a fucking mare tonight - the full Weston Super. About 2k into my run I realised my left calf was hurting a bit. Didn't think too much of it and thought I'd run it off. About 500m later I felt like someone had stabbed me in the calf. Game over. I hobbled home and I'm limping all over the place.

I can feel a spot right in the middle of my calf where the pain's coming from so it may be a tear or something. Off to the docs tomorrow if it's not miraculously cleared up by the morning. I'm fucking gutted. No idea how long these things take to clear up but hopefully no more than a week or so. Bad times. *sniff*