You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Running

Redder Lurtz

If you are starting to enjoy your 3 mile runs, a great next step is to go along to a 5k parkrun. They are a timed run but not a race. The entire object of them is it should be fun. They are free to enter, just need to register, and take place every Saturday morning all around the country;

parkrun UK Events

Great way of challenging yourself. Also a good way of meeting like minded people.

It's between 10 and 12 miles, they don't actually tell you. It's in November, think the 2nd weekend. £30 entry fee, think the sense of achievement afterwards will be amazing.

I've just found out about a night time 10k in March, with obstacles and rivers to cross and shit. And there's camping and a tent with a bar for after the race. Sounds ace and messy to me. Better be a proper bar though because if it's just smoothies and wheatgrass someone's gonna get their ass kicked.

ron-swanson-pic.jpg

Great to see so many on the thread running. I'm currently fooked having done a measley 3k. Gonna take some getting used to doing 2 5k's a week with a 3k in the middle. Perseverance...

Definitely recommend this...there are loads all over the UK...and beyond. The Edinburgh one is really friendly and sociable although, a word of warning, most people are pretty good...although very encouraging of amateurs like me

Wondering does anybody have any advice.

This has probably been raised before so apologies in advance.

I've just started running for the first time in a good few years. I'm in my mid-20's. Never been the fittest my whole life but never been very unfit either if that makes sense as I played a lot of sport when I was younger but sort of just gave everything up when I hit the latter years of University. These days I play 5-a-side two/three nights a week so I'm keeping moderately active.

I started back jogging and been mainly sticking to footpaths/road running. So far I've found my stamina is ok though far from great. But I find the worst thing is about 10/15 mins into each run my feet are killing me. Absolutely pounding with pain.

So I'm thinking either I need to get new shoes(right now I've got a decent pair of new balance runners) or stick to grass or something. Just wondering does anyone have any advice? Cheers if so!

I have had Asic Kayanos throughout the last four years (11s, 13s and now 17s) and they're great. Never had many problems and I've done around 750miles in each of them. You can't spend enough money on a good pair of trainers, I suspect most problems below the waist are footwear related. I'm no expect though, just personal preference and opinion.

I've just started running for the first time in a good few years. I'm in my mid-20's. Never been the fittest my whole life but never been very unfit either if that makes sense as I played a lot of sport when I was younger but sort of just gave everything up when I hit the latter years of University. These days I play 5-a-side two/three nights a week so I'm keeping moderately active.

I started back jogging and been mainly sticking to footpaths/road running. So far I've found my stamina is ok though far from great. But I find the worst thing is about 10/15 mins into each run my feet are killing me. Absolutely pounding with pain.

So I'm thinking either I need to get new shoes(right now I've got a decent pair of new balance runners) or stick to grass or something. Just wondering does anyone have any advice? Cheers if so!

Sounds like bad shithouse foot aids I'm afraid mate. That's the worst kind of foot aids there is.

RIP, YNRA

I had a similar problem and a very experienced runner told me to go and run barefoot on the beach. Or buy a pair of vibram five fingers and run on grass for a few weeks. Realy strengthens the muscles in your foot which dont get a lot of work in normal shoes. It certainly worked for me.

That's cool mate and far be it from me to tell anyone what is right. I hate however to hear that carbs = good, fats = bad.

It's a myth. Processed cards and sugar do far more damage to health and fitness that fat.

I followed the tradition skimmed milk, low fat this, low fat the other diet for years and could never get my arse into gear. I could not run more than 500 yards my knees ached. Once I dropped a few stone by forgetting all that bollocks it was so much easier to get fit.

Once you get your head around the fact that the food industry has been selling us this myth for years backed by dodgy research you don't need to diet anymore. I would never have got into the shape I am getting to had I continued to eat bowls of rice, bread and all that stuff.

As for you saying you could not run without eating that is because you are used to carbs and the insulin spike they give you. Once you are used to burning fat the energy you have is immense and you often have to remind yourself to eat.

So Anny, tell me what you eat or point me in a direction for something to read up on. Cheers.

So Anny, tell me what you eat or point me in a direction for something to read up on. Cheers.

I eat tons of eggs, meat, fish, cheese, mayo, loads of greens and every now and then I have a pizza or rice blowout.

It's not really dieting it is just changing how you perceive good and bad foods. I would eat tons and tons of white bread, pasta, white rice etc thinking I was following a low fat diet. Once I dropped all that the weight flew off.

Google low carb diet or wiki Low-carbohydrate diet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zero carb is difficult especially if you exercise hard so I have a carb up every two weeks or so but don't overly worry about it.

I just like that feeling you get from making your heart work faster, getting up a sweat and challenging myself against the clock

That sounds remarkably similar to my love life.

Re that Cetavlex stuff a few of you have mentioned is that kind of like a heavy duty Sudocrem? I'm trying to do some cardio at the moment mainly been a weights man and with a couple of years vegetating and not training I'm looking like a right fat bastard (ok I am a right fat bastard). I'm not running as playing Rugby did serious damage to my knees, but I am occasionally getting bad blisters in the indent behind the big toe on both feet and use Sudocrem but that other stuff is maybe better?

and challenging myself against the clock

That sounds remarkably similar to my love life.

Re that Cetavlex stuff a few of you have mentioned is that kind of like a heavy duty Sudocrem? I'm trying to do some cardio at the moment mainly been a weights man and with a couple of years vegetating and not training I'm looking like a right fat bastard (ok I am a right fat bastard). I'm not running as playing Rugby did serious damage to my knees, but I am occasionally getting bad blisters in the indent behind the big toe on both feet and use Sudocrem but that other stuff is maybe better?

Even that bit? You're getting it all wrong mate ;)

Re the Cetavlex I got really bad blisters on my feet after walking in my running shoes and while there's no miracle cure I found that draining them (hope you're not eating your lunch) and then using Cetavlex sorted them out within a few days. Its not expensive (£3 odd) so its worth a try

I run 5km 4 times a week. I lost a lot of weight at fist but now I think my body is used to it so I've stayed at the same weight for a couple of months. I've put on quite a bit of muscle mass so that evens it out a bit but I still feel like I should have lost more weight because I still have plenty of fat to lose.

I can't run much more, my body is not a runners body, I'm a swimmer but that does fuck all for losing weight. People say your body gets used to the exercise so you have to keep changing it up. I think I might cut the running down to 3 times a week and try do some different stuff. I hit the old heavy bag for 45 mins 2 or 3 times a week when I don't run but apart from that I'm not sure what to do. Maybe biking but surely running would be better for losing weight than biking.

Yeah, I tried doing more fast paced running in intervals today but I had a bit of an injury so I couldn't do as much as I wanted. I'm starting to get annoyed that I'm working pretty hard and not losing any or hardly any weight.

I don't want to do more, I don't have the time. I guess I could improve my diet a bit.

Iv'e lost a hell of a lot of weight in the past year so far but I still want to lose a substantial bit more. Fuck it's hard to get into really good shape after being a fat lazy fucker.

I've decided running is going on the back burner a bit. I will still probably do 3 or 4 x 5km a week, but not trying to increase pace or dsitance at the moment. I'd be happy if I can stay where I am.

I enjoy walking/rambling too much and I intend to make hay while the sunshines. Also thinking of doing the London to Brighton challenge (100k in 24 hours) next year and have been helping a mate train for the Gurkha Challenge (which is a similar event) recently so haven't been able to put the distance or interval training in so much as my legs and feet have had it after a couple of 15/20 mile walks of a weekend.

Its a great buzz, so I might come back to it in autumn, but I suppose I know if I do the London to Brighton I'll have to gibb it again next spring.

Fuck, this has kind of come forward a year, I'm now doing the Trailwalker in three weeks. Basically 100km in 24 hours. From one end of the South Downs to the other.

I have to scale back the running totally for a few weeks. I'll just do a few bits and bobs and then rest totally for a week prior to it.

Luckily as I say I've been training with my mate for it anyway, so I'm pretty much in shape for it anyway. One of the lads doing it dropped out yesterday, so I'm in now as the only person capable they know and I also know the footpaths (an advantage at night) I'm not mentally tuned at all yet. Can't wait, should be boss.

That is quite a challenge, RJ, although you sound as if you have prepared well for it. What's the furthest you've walked training for this?

And another thing, not expecting an answer really, why is it that some days a run goes really well and other days, for no obvious reason, your legs feel like they're made of concrete or your cant breathe or some other nonsense? I didnt like to post that I feel like I've turned the corner back to running fit (no pun intended) but today was one of those really good days. Had no expectations when I set off but that was Good!