You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

We are sh!t at the moment, and this is the weakest Arsenal team in 15 years. As bad as we are that game was heading 0-0 until the sending off. It was poor quality game and we had two 18 year old and one 19 year old all making their league debuts. Song and Gervinho suspended and host of injuries.

We will get better and things will change. But if you guys think you performed that much better, then you are deluding yourself. if anything i was shocked by how poor you were as well. The fact that 6'4 struggled in the air with Vermaelen and looks so out of it should worry alot of you. He will be your downfall this season and the 35 million fee means he wont be benched

profimedia-0003750537.jpg

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Numero Veinticinco
We are sh!t at the moment, and this is the weakest Arsenal team in 15 years. As bad as we are that game was heading 0-0 until the sending off. It was poor quality game and we had two 18 year old and one 19 year old all making their league debuts. Song and Gervinho suspended and host of injuries.

We will get better and things will change. But if you guys think you performed that much better, then you are deluding yourself. if anything i was shocked by how poor you were as well. The fact that 6'4 struggled in the air with Vermaelen and looks so out of it should worry alot of you. He will be your downfall this season and the 35 million fee means he wont be benched

You've just not very knowledgeable about football. The reason we didn't create a lot was because we had our most creative players on the bench or in the stands. We set up perfectly for one of the toughest away matches of the season. We controlled the game, then we made a couple of a attacking substitutions - Merieles and Suarez - and we pulled you apart. Frimpong wouldn't have stopped those two pulling your team apart.

You seem to be convinced that we're shit. We're not. You seem to be convinced that Carroll is shit. He isn't. Sure, we miss the likes of Gerrard and Suarez when they're not on the pitch and we're less creative without Merieles, but that doesn't mean we're shit.

Andy Carroll forced a top class save from your voweless keeper, and would have scored a perfectly legitimate goal both this week and last week if the ref hadn't decided touching a player very softly equated to a foul. We're two games into the season, with a brand new team, and a manager who is changing styles to a style most of those players haven't played with their former clubs. How about 5 fucking minutes to settle in?

Guest ian garro
Just read a few comments of a negative nature about Henderson.

I hope these people recorded the game. Have another look. He was great today (for me only Kelly was better). He moved the ball on quickly at the right times, and he looked steady and controlled when we needed to retain possession.

I raised an eyebrow like everybody else when he signed. I thought he was cautious last week. I suppose it was understandable, but still he wasn't moving the ball forward enough. But he played well today.

We were the better team today, regardless of their problems. Lack of discipline and lack of squad depth are down to their manager, of course.

We controlled the midfield, our defence looked mostly assured (Agger jumped in once that I remember), and the only down point was not having enough players near Carroll in that last third.

I raved when we bought Downing and again he was excellent.

We pressed them high up the pitch, especially in the first half and well deserved our win.

And for the record, Henderson played well. Have another look.

Inclined to agree with most of this. On Henderson, I thought he did well - nothing more, he wasn't brilliant, but he was neat and tidy in posession. He keeps the ball well and is a proper footballer. He's not really that experienced at this level, but I think he'll be great for us. It's a bit weird when people were comparing this summers signings to the team that was built in 87 - a bit weird in that when Henderson was being compared to the role Ray Houghton would have in that side, I didn't think this would also mean becoming the scapegoat for everything that goes wrong (and even some stuff that goes right).

We're seeing this more and more these days. Whether a player succeeds at a club, is becoming dependent to how a set of fans take to him in his first 45 mins for the club. We've had countless examples of it over the last few years, due to who signed them, etc. I had hoped we'd have gotten past all that by now.

On yesterdays game, there were many positives. Downing looks like he's been here for years, and the 2 full backs were superb, although I'm sure there'll be tougher tests of those 2 to come. Luis looked a lot sharper, and we still have Steven to come back - who I think will make a huge difference.

The centre halves are still a worry, for me. They play very deep, as they're terrified of getting done for pace, which means the long ball to Carroll is still an 'easy out' for them, and Agger manages to get himself very square on, when someone runs at him.

All in all though, it's officially a "decent start". I'm feeling the positives.

Apparently Lucas got the finger from Frimpong after getting sent off and Raul was having a laugh about it to Lucas.

Carroll has had some harsh stick too, Vermaelen's no slouch when it comes to defending. No one seems to remember he scored in our first game either but it was wrongly ruled offside. Give the guy some time.

It wasn't when Frimpong got sent off, it was when Lucas fouled Frimpong in the first half and got booked for it. Frimpong popped him the bird.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
It wasn't when Frimpong got sent off, it was when Lucas fouled Frimpong in the first half and got booked for it. Frimpong popped him the bird.

Solidarity. Brotherhood. All that good sheeeeeit.

I've not read through this thread yet, but I'm sure this being TLW that someone has already observed what an awesome word Frimpong is and how it can be an able verb for almost anything.

Man, I've just totally frimponged my bacon sandwich and if my cat doesn't stop bringing manky pigeon feathers into the house I'm going to frimpong it over the fence.

Fucking love this pic, Kelly is a beast of a player. Arshavin looks like he's thinking something like "Now why the fuck did I even think about trying to get this ball?" For all the youngsters Wenger has I bet he'd love a player like Kelly too, you wouldn't catch him bottling anything.

However, 10 seconds later, Kelly was skidding off the pitch on his shoulder and Arshavin was passing to an unmarked Van Persie who thankfully scuffed it straight at Reina.

1st win there for 11 years, and a famous one. Took a while but we wore them down in the end, and Arsenal got a taste of their own medicine in the move for the second goal.

Exeter, Bolton, and Stoke coming next. Lets see if we can beat all three with full (or as close to) strength sides, before we go back to London and play their neighbours.

Watching Kenny's goal celebrations is like watching them from 1977. As ecstatic as ever. Makes a pleasant change against what we had to look at for 6 years.

I think overall the game last night wasn't too bad off, the criticism on Carroll are too harsh in my opinion cause, while he failed to score yesterday, he did have a decent game with quite a few opportunities to score. Henderson had a decent game too, definitely an improvement from last week's shaky start but still a long way to go and become an amazing player though I have to say I quite enjoyed his passing and ball distribution. Kelly is immense, shame he didn't score when he had the chance. Same goes for Enrique. Downing was great while both Kuyt and Adam were mediocre.

I think while we could have played much better and we definitely need to work on a lot of stuff (like playing wide for example), I do think we did an alright job at the Emirates, specially after we subbed in both Suarez and Meireles.

The Gooners' team was weaker than usual but still decent enough and besides a win is a win is a win so I think we should all enjoy the fact we finally won a game at the Emirates, finally managed to beat Arsenal away after a long 11 years and we managed to keep a clean sheet.

Read bits and pieces of this thread but here is my take from the game:

- our ball retention was the best I have seen in a long time. We were actually stringing more than three passes together. Mainly because the players brought in are comfortable on the ball and can receive under pressure. All except Dirk I am afraid. He should only ever play up front as he breaks down the momentum of our attacks time and time again, either with a poor touch or goes toward the touchline when the inside pass is on.

- prepared to give Andy Carroll more time but we definitely need to bring in a more mobile striker who runs the channels. Watching Darren Bent for Villa yesterday doing exactlly what we need with the other players we have in the team.

- Enrique is absolutely class, What was he doing at Newcastle all these years?

- As much as Lucas has improved alot and is a top lad, we must search for a stronger and faster version if we want to get to the next level. An 'Essien' type player. He got skinned a few times yesterday and struggled to recover and ends up giving silly free kicks away in dangerous positions.

- Downing is looking good although seemed to fade in the second half a bit early on - think it was when he went over to the right. An excellent signing who is a skillful intelligent footballer.

- we could do with another fast wide player to be able to counter attack more effectively.

- Get a CB and an alternative type striker before the window closes and we are then set up to do something this year.

- Well done Kenny for getting the tactice right yesterday.

I'd like to start with our last man. Pepe is underrated in this thread, and he made a match-winning save for us at the start of the 2nd half at 0-0 when we should have had a free-kick. Had Arsenal scored there, I doubt we would have won. He is worth his weight in gold for being able to step up in those situations. Absolute top quality he is Pepe, one of our very, very best players.

It was also great to see Kelly hitting the ground running again after that long injury lay off. He continued in the exact same impressive manner as in his debut season. Take a fucking bow, son. Needless to say, he should keep his place at right back.

At the other full back new man Enrique has really won me over. Technically good and a good passer of the ball as well. He has lots of pace, and he knows how to use it. He is going to be a real asset for us down that left hand side together with fellow new boy Downing. Who I also really like, btw. He seems a better player than I thought he was.

It's great to have defenders who have that extra yard of pace in them. We really have missed that for some time.

As for Arsenal I thought they were disappointing. I half expected Wenger to take that cunt Tampong off at half time, as it was pretty obvious he wasn't going to last the full game. He should have been off in the first half already. Imo the tackle that eventually got him sent of could easily have been a straight red with a less shit ref.

This was a massive win for us, could not have been happier, especially as we kept a clean sheet. Let's keep the confidence growing and build on this. Can't wait for Luis being able to play the full 90 mins and Gerrard to be back.

Well done, boys.

No one is denying that we need a Lucas type player... just that we can improve in that area. He gave the ball away far too much today and I`d have him as backup.

First of all, no he didn't. He completed 45 out of 52 passes:

Chalkboards | Published chalkboard Chalkboards saved - g2JC2i2vz6j7X9Wb3Q05 | Football | guardian.co.uk

And secondly, backup to who? A fictional player that we haven't signed?

The Gooners' team was weaker than usual but still decent enough and besides a win is a win is a win so I think we should all enjoy the fact we finally won a game at the Emirates, finally managed to beat Arsenal away after a long 11 years and we managed to keep a clean sheet.

I totally agree.

Irrespective of poorest Arsenal team, club in crisis etc etc, the fact of the matter is that they're still a good team, and we went there and played very well, totally deserving to win.

There's still a lot more to come from us well, that was only about a 60% performance yesterday, but was still more than enough to win and win well.

only saw the second half but listened to most of first half on radio and sounded like we were the better team, great decision by Kenny to get Raul and Suarez on although disappointed Aquilani hasnt been involved yet, Kelly looked to play very well from what i saw slip aside

anyway delighted to get 3 points from those horrible bastards and if Scum and City can drop points today and tommorrow its a pretty good start from us

Listen guy, we controlled that game and would probably have won it even without the sending-off. But you still had Nasri, Walcott, Arshavin... still barely troubled our defence. Your keeper and CB kept you in the game until Suarez and Meireles bamboozled your guys.

But even if we had drawn I would still be happy today because we bossed the game for at least 75% of the time. At the Emirates. We are so much stronger than 12 months ago and you are so much weaker. Be afraid.