You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Shift work and Nights.

lifetime fan

My mate works nights in a really important nation security institution. You can't even pick him up from work or anything it is top secret. he has to be dropped of and you meet him there. No-one can now where it is. (probably RAF bumming each other station).

Anyway he gets home after a usual night shift protecting us all while we sleep and his wife politely asks him will he stay up for a few hours till she gets back because she is expecting an important parcel.

'Fuck off'

was his reply as he explained that in defending national security he had only managed 8 hours sleep in a 12 hour shift because 'Some cunt rang up with the wrong number TWICE'

I hate it when that happens; or someone interrupts a box set I'm watching. People just don't understand the pressure.

I miss working nights. It was always good to drive down the motorway on the way home at 7am and seeing the majority of the country rushing out.

Now I'm part of the 9-5 brigade but I love that more than doing the night shifts.

• 1 month later...

Been back in work, and shifts, for almost a full month now, and I'm reminded just how much I despise day shifts. Tedious waste of 12 hours.

I don't think I could ever join the 9-5 brigade. It would drive me insane.

• Upvote 1

I swear i must have been a right evil cunt in a previous life, everyone seems to be trying to fuck up my shifts.

The way my rota is supposed to work is a long/double shift 07:15-22:35 (sometime with a sleep in after it) 3 days on week 1 and 4 days off and then week 2 2 days on and 5 off.

But they want to make me work Mon-Fri 8-4 and if there was some way I could get out of that the idiotic cunts I work with are asking to change the shift times to a late sleep early. So you'd still do a double shift (24 hours) but do it spread over 2 days.

What the fuck is the point in working a 24 hour shift spread over 2 days you stupid pricks. You dont get any extra time off.

Been back in work, and shifts, for almost a full month now, and I'm reminded just how much I despise day shifts. Tedious waste of 12 hours.

I don't think I could ever join the 9-5 brigade. It would drive me insane.

I made the mistake the other week of calling in at IKEA on the way to my Saturday Back Shift. It was a sobering reminder of the 9-5 world

• Upvote 1

2 weeks of no nagging, extra money and then 3 weeks of extra fucking because she's forgot what's she was in a piss about before you went.

Got a spare application form Rich?

You've had some odd relationships

Do you know others who do it?

Loads from our place have gone.

2 weeks of no nagging, extra money and then 3 weeks of extra fucking because she's forgot what's she was in a piss about before you went.

Got a spare application form Rich?

2 weeks of not spending a penny too.

There are obviously lots of downsides, but if I was to leave this shithole it's the only place I'd look at.

I'll get you a form.

• Upvote 1

The very worst part of my night shift is the last hour when I cross over with the day shift call handlers who inhabit this bunker during office hours. What they are doing coming in at 07.30 when their lines dont open until 08.00 or even 08.30 I do not know. It certainly isnt to do any work, that's for sure. One's just made herself some toast, another's got her son in with her and they just never stop talking. I'm tired, my tolerance levels are low, please just shuuuuuuutttt uuuuppp!

The very worst part of my night shift is the last hour when I cross over with the day shift call handlers who inhabit this bunker during office hours. What they are doing coming in at 07.30 when their lines dont open until 08.00 or even 08.30 I do not know. It certainly isnt to do any work, that's for sure. One's just made herself some toast, another's got her son in with her and they just never stop talking. I'm tired, my tolerance levels are low, please just shuuuuuuutttt uuuuppp!

When I worked shifts I always made a point of coming in a few minutes earlier in the morning to let someone go.  Nothing worse than finishing a night shift later than you need to. 

What are the details?

You work on a bomb in the North Sea. Flights out are on helicopter and are prone to crash/death when the weather is bad, which is often.

Often referred to as "the rigs".

14 days on. 21 days off.

Pay is £20k better than I'm on now for new starters and goes up when fully trained.

You work on a bomb in the North Sea. Flights out are on helicopter and are prone to crash/death when the weather is bad, which is often.

Often referred to as "the rigs".

14 days on. 21 days off.

Pay is £20k better than I'm on now for new starters and goes up when fully trained.

If you ignore the first paragraph the second looks immense.

Nothing could tempt me to live in those conditions though

I reckon you look the part if that's any help