You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Euro Qualifying - Tuesday

Dracco

I just don't understand why he hasn't called up Maloney or Kris Commons, surely they are better than McCulloch, Scott Brown. What do those 2 actually add to the team?

I just don't see how he will improve on Burley's results, he's much more of a defensive manager who thrives on being the underdog, IMO his style was always going to suffer when it was Scotland who had to go out and attack.

Reina having a bit of a howler.

I actually like Scott Brown, at least he seems to give a shit. McCulloch on the other hand, he's in the side because he's "good in the air". Maloney has always been on the periphery of things, and for a reason, he's just far too inconsistent. Commons is a player who impressed me at the start of his international career, but injuries have done him no favours recently.

I had hoped, and am still hoping, that Levein would manage the national side the way he managed Dundee United, and looked toward the younger players coming through, as limited as they may be. I agree that his style is more defensive, and he has always very much been a backs against the wall sort of person, but his overall approach to the game at club level, especially when in charge at Tannadice, was/is an approach that Scotland have long been crying out for in my opinion.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like Scott Brown, at least he seems to give a shit. McCulloch on the other hand, he's in the side because he's "good in the air". Maloney has always been on the periphery of things, and for a reason, he's just far too inconsistent. Commons is a player who impressed me at the start of his international career, but injuries have done him no favours recently.

I had hoped, and am still hoping, that Levein would manage the national side the way he managed Dundee United, and looked toward the younger players coming through, as limited as they may be. I agree that his style is more defensive, and he has always very much been a backs against the wall sort of person, but his overall approach to the game at club level, especially when in charge at Tannadice, was/is an approach that Scotland have long been crying out for in my opinion.

I think Brown could be a decent player alongside someone like, say, Dorrans who is more attack minded, but he's too similar to Darren Fletcher to work with him I think.

Maybe you'll do better against teams with more of an attacking threat which would mean you can play counter attack football, which is what he is best at doing.

I think Brown could be a decent player alongside someone like, say, Dorrans who is more attack minded, but he's too similar to Darren Fletcher to work with him I think.

Maybe you'll do better against teams with more of an attacking threat which would mean you can play counter attack football, which is what he is best at doing.

I agree with you that Brown and Fletcher are too similar. I'd like to see Dorrans play alongside both, or just ahead, in a 3 man central midfield, rather than having an anchor man sat behind Brown and Fletcher.

We always seem to play better against the bigger sides, but don't always get the results we sometimes deserve. Against the smaller sides we struggle because we have no real match winners and are far too reliant on McFadden to produce a piece of magic to bail us out.

Gerrard was superb for England tonight, in central midfield.

No surprise, it is his best position, in my opinion.

He's far better facing goal, rather than having his back towards it.

In the 96th minute, what was that all about?

Perhaps we gave the ref the Old Trafford rule book for tonight?

I've got the game recorded, as I was at work when it was on, so I'll give it a watch and see if the extra stoppage time was justified or not.

No surprise, it is his best position, in my opinion.

He's far better facing goal, rather than having his back towards it.

That's why the only "Player of the Year Awards" he obtained came after terrific seasons as central midfielder, that's what you're saying? As far as I remember, but never trust me, have problems with stretching my memory, he was rewarded playing in a free role on the right side of midfield and in the shadow striker role. But once again, can't be trusted and you're probably right, it must have been in centre of the park both times.

That's why the only "Player of the Year Awards" he obtained came after terrific seasons as central midfielder, that's what you're saying? As far as I remember, but never trust me, have problems with stretching my memory, he was rewarded playing in a free role on the right side of midfield and in the shadow striker role. But once again, can't be trusted and you're probably right, it must have been in centre of the park both times.

I don't think your or LFDs arguments are necessarily incompatible Cantrell. Most of Gerrard's best and most effective play comes when he's running towards goal, bursting past defenders, playing killer passes or crosses and getting in shooting positions.

When he had his free role from the right, he was effectively playing with a license to run forward from midfield and worry less about the defensive side of a midfielders game. Likewise when he had his good season behind Torres, most of his effective play came when found quickly by the midfield and he was running at the defence - either playing in Torres or bursting down the channels.

Last season he wasn't nearly so effective - one of the reasons was because the midfield didn't get him the ball in positions where he can use it best.

It's a balance really for me - asking Gerrard to receive the ball into feet with his back to goal as a second striker is not ideal - but also you want him closer to goal to maximise his creative ability.

What we do I think will really depend on our midfield combination - if Poulsen/Mereiles works well in dominating games and getting the ball to the 3 behind the striker in good positions a la Mascherano/Alonso of two years ago probably Gerrard will work best as the centre man behind Torres. On the other hand if Cole can play in the hole and effectively switch positions or drop back to cover when Gerrard bursts through that may be the best way to go.

I think we'll probably play a bit of both based on form and opposition.

I don't think your or LFDs arguments are necessarily incompatible Cantrell. Most of Gerrard's best and most effective play comes when he's running towards goal, bursting past defenders, playing killer passes or crosses and getting in shooting positions.

When he had his free role from the right, he was effectively playing with a license to run forward from midfield and worry less about the defensive side of a midfielders game. Likewise when he had his good season behind Torres, most of his effective play came when found quickly by the midfield and he was running at the defence - either playing in Torres or bursting down the channels.

Last season he wasn't nearly so effective - one of the reasons was because the midfield didn't get him the ball in positions where he can use it best.

It's a balance really for me - asking Gerrard to receive the ball into feet with his back to goal as a second striker is not ideal - but also you want him closer to goal to maximise his creative ability.

What we do I think will really depend on our midfield combination - if Poulsen/Mereiles works well in dominating games and getting the ball to the 3 behind the striker in good positions a la Mascherano/Alonso of two years ago probably Gerrard will work best as the centre man behind Torres. On the other hand if Cole can play in the hole and effectively switch positions or drop back to cover when Gerrard bursts through that may be the best way to go.

Spot on.

You may think I am a little early to judge Poulson but he is shite. Meireles and Gerrard in cm with Cole behind Torres looks most attractive combination perhaps including Lucas if we want to be more defensive.

And, yes, I am even more premature in judging Meireles but I am ever hopeful