You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson wants to make "several other additions to strengthen the squad"

RafaLaBamba

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paul, i refuse to just cave in and be weighed down by the scepticism and the despair because it'll probably force me to top myself.

I try to look on the bright side even if i am fooling myself! ha ha

I tried that for a while.

I've given up on believing the people who run and own the club will ever do anything for the good of the club.

Most i hope for now is that the players and manager do the job as best they can. They're seriously hampered by everything else at the club imo.

I hope we don't get Young. He's a solid enough squad man, but given our needs elsewhere we should be happy with Johnson and Kelly as back up.

I think we will sign Figueroa very soon. He will be first choice left back. I'm not sure who else we might get there, but I wouldn't be opposed to a pay as you play deal with Aurelio as a back up (assuming Insua is off to Italy).

After covering left back Mascherano will probably go. Inter have the Balotelli money coming in from Man Citeh and it will be in everyone's interests for them to get the Mascherano deal done pronto.

With the proceeds Roy could sign Remy and Flamini, or something like that, and all of a sudden, we will have some hope for the new season.

G&H out, mind. That shadow still looms large over the club.

There is a chance that this transfer window can be a huge success for the club, even with zero net spend.

If we get Figueroa and then Aurelio on a pay as you play, Then we could easily be better off than last year in that position.

The key is then getting top buck for Masch, and I guess in the current environment that means 25 million or upwards. That money and whatever we get for Kyrgiakos, Degen and Cavalieri (EDIT: and Ngog) should then get us his replacement and a new forward.

We could try and flog Babel as well and get someone better in for the same price (if we get 10m it should be well possible).

Then we'd have:

Keeper: Reina, Gulacsi

Right back: Magic, Kelly

Centre half: Carra, Agger, Skrtel, Wilson, Ayala

Left back: Figueroa, Aurelio

Centre mid: Gerrard, New guy, Aquilani, Lucas, Shelvey, Spearing

Winger: Cole, Maxi, Jovanovich, Babel

Forward: Torres, New guy, Kuyt, Pacheco (Babel and Jovanovich could play here as well)

Sorry, went a bit football manager there. I just think that there is a decent chance we might come out of this transfer window with a very decent squad even without contribution from the leeches.

Edited by jackofdk

Unless I am mistaken we will submit a 21 man squad when we are entitled to 25.

The only English players who are 21+ this calendar year are Johnson, Carragher, Gerrard and Cole.

I believe Spearing and Darby we're 20 in Jan 2010 which implies they can be counted as U21?

No wonder Roy is looking for English players who can fill out the squad - fairly valued English players are at a premium and not freely available.

I think what Roy is trying to do is 'leaven' out the Squad as it were - He's NOT looking for quality players/attackers - Players who cost a Mint OR promising youngsters but instead those players of the type we were VERY short of last season - Those inbetween. He's looking for 'Experienced' players as it were. Quite obviously, Roy's searching for the sort of tough, seasoned backup that the likes of Hyppia, Mcallister and Hamman to name but 3, once gave us and which we SORELY missed last season. Remember, last year we had the established pro's (Hampered by LOTS of injury problems, including injuries to the likes of Aquilani and Torres regularly being suffered from), then there was the kids (N'gog, Kelly and Darby for example) and inbetween, we had............What Precisely?

There was no-one to come off the bench and add an 'Old Head'/Guiding Influence to the team other than those of the Main First Team Squad - No Experienced Quality Backup at the back or in midfield to stop us needing to Field the kids CONSTANTLY, there was nothing at all there - Rather like in 1992/1993 actually with similar disastrous results to our League Placing. Anyway, THAT would go some way to explaining the pursuit of Luke Young. Anyway, it is quite clearly that present gap in our squad which Roy is attempting to remedy with his current Acquisition's spree (Can't say 'buying spree' as he's yet to really Spend much is he?). Either way, we'll see the answer as to just What he's up to rather soon with all these comings and goings. That much is clear enough..........

Edited by Redshadow

I'm still banging the Mark Noble drum. I know he couldn't directly replace Mascherano, but I don't think we need a direct replacement.

Think the next couple of weeks will be quite interesting now the world cup players are coming back. And despite the fact we've no money it could as others have said turn out to be a good summer for us.

I'm still banging the Mark Noble drum. I know he couldn't directly replace Mascherano, but I don't think we need a direct replacement.

Think the next couple of weeks will be quite interesting now the world cup players are coming back. And despite the fact we've no money it could as others have said turn out to be a good summer for us.

I would rather have Noble. I think he will improve alot with better team mates, and those times i`ve seen Westham, he`s been better or equal to Parker.

We have to bump our English quota up, thats unavoidable. However, if we are going to lose one of our star players, in a key position, then i want us to go out and get an adequate 'star player' replacement, which wont weaken us. Cant believe some are advocating Parker, less so Noble.

If we have to suplement the squad with Mediocre Englishmen, so be it. Them are the rules. However, it should be in areas where we are weak, or where it wont stop the development of promising youngsters.

I think we'll get Muntari + cash, mainly because Inter won't be wanting to pay out what we're pricing Masch at.

They can get to fuck then. Pay up or shut the fuck up should be our answer.

I want Mascherano to fuck off too, the twat doesn't want to stay but that doesn't mean we have to bend over.

Muntari is not a good player at all.