You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't argue with that, yeah.

I still feel he's hyped up, though. Flavour of the month.

Behave Ted our current manager is the biggest flavour of the month of them all.

Hodgson did a great job in the Europa League but lets not forget how the majority of people think the tournament is a bag of bollocks anyway.

Last season Hodgson won the LMA award after guiding Fulham from 7th to 12th and i don't think they won an away game all season but he got to the Europa League final.

I actually think Hodgson's achievement of getting Fulham 7th is better then getting them to the Europa League final.

Pellegrini took an unfancied Villareal team and got them into the Champions League by playing fast, attacking football.

Villareal were a penalty kick away from the final itself as once again they played attacking, pass and move football.

You can not judge any manager on what they do at Real Madrid because Capello was sacked after winning the league and wasn't Del Bosque sacked after winning the Champions League.

You should never be sacking a manager who has just finished with your highest points total but look to see how you can improve for the following season.

For me Mourinho is one of the best managers in the game but even he is not guaranteed to win them the league which is why Real Madrid is such a circus that they will probably sack him as well if he fails to do so.

You can not judge any manager on what they do at Real Madrid because Capello was sacked after winning the league and wasn't Del Bosque sacked after winning the Champions League.

Think that was the other way round, no CL but won the league. The two he did win weren't enough.

Heynckes in 98?

I reckon a better manager than Mancini would have that team walking this league.

Who exactly is a 'better manager than Mancini'? He took Inter to 3 consecutive Serie A titles, consolidated their hold on the league, and was only sacked for failing to achieve in the Champions League. His past domestic record was pretty good, it's just not as easy as it looks to gel a team of superstars. I think last night exemplified that.

And if Mancini was gotten rid of, who -that's available - would clearly be a better replacement? Who has a better track record and would go to City? If it was as easy as just swapping him out for a better candidate, they'd have done it already.

You know I was being puely hypothetical, right?

No, I'll admit I didn't. So, in an argument based on what could realistically be expected by an actual existing human being, based on other similar and conflicting examples, you've decided to base one of your arguments on 'pure hypothesis'.

That's like wading into a debate about whether Ronaldo or Messi is the best player in the world and saying: "No guys! It's this other lad! Sure, he has Messi's control, and he can take free kicks like Ronaldo, but he also has Crouchy's height, Xavi's eye for a pass and Torres' pace and movement. He captains the team and puts an arm around the shoulder of the younger players."

"Really? Who is this unheard of superstar?"

"Oh, he doesn't actually exist, of course. I was being purely hypothetical."

How shrewd.

Who exactly is a 'better manager than Mancini'? He took Inter to 3 consecutive Serie A titles, consolidated their hold on the league, and was only sacked for failing to achieve in the Champions League. His past domestic record was pretty good, it's just not as easy as it looks to gel a team of superstars. I think last night exemplified that.

And if Mancini was gotten rid of, who -that's available - would clearly be a better replacement? Who has a better track record and would go to City? If it was as easy as just swapping him out for a better candidate, they'd have done it already.

I'd take those with a massive pinch of salt, given that the first was really won by Juventus, who were then relegated the following season while Milan were deducted points.

Relatively speaking, he's failing miserably with a wealth of talent at his disposal. They'd be mid table or lower if it wasn't for Tevez. And if there are many egos into the City team, he needs to bear a reasonable portion of blame for that also.

Absolutely - I'm not saying he doesn't. My only point is that it isn't easy to manage a team of superstars, and just because Pellegrini didn't win the league last year doesn't mean he can't take a certain degree of pride from the points total they gathered. I wouldn't call him a 'failure' at Madrid for that by any normal standards, given the way other people have struggled (and I'd say Mancini far more so than Pellegrini) in similar situations.

Absolutely - I'm not saying he doesn't. My only point is that it isn't easy to manage a team of superstars, and just because Pellegrini didn't win the league last year doesn't mean he can't take a certain degree of pride from the points total they gathered. I wouldn't call him a 'failure' at Madrid for that by any normal standards, given the way other people have struggled (and I'd say Mancini far more so than Pellegrini) in similar situations.

Yeah, agree with all that.

Personally, I think Pellegrini is a vastly better manager than Mancini will ever be. Massive dose of the emporers new clothes with him, and he's being found out relatively early in his career.

And he made Yaya Toure the highest paid footballer in the league!

Of course, I get what you mean. But Barca only won the league last year. RM should have got to the Semi's at least in the CL and should have won a domestic trophy.

It's about trophies. I agree with some of the sentiments that he was on a hiding to nothing, but he still failed.

For the money they spent (not what he spent) to come out of it with nothing but the highest points total to never win the league, well it's not good enough.

So every manager that doesn't wina trophy in his first season is a failure?

Hodgson has been failure most of his career, then. Most managers have.

I'd take those with a massive pinch of salt, given that the first was really won by Juventus, who were then relegated the following season while Milan were deducted points.

Relatively speaking, he's failing miserably with a wealth of talent at his disposal. They'd be mid table or lower if it wasn't for Tevez. And if there are many egos into the City team, he needs to bear a reasonable portion of blame for that also.

Can never understand this argument. They DO have Tevez and it's not like he brings the ball out the back to go score himself. Its no different to the Liverpool only have Torres and Gerrard argument. They may be outstanding players in the team but rely on teammates to succeed.

What about the Hodgson part? I recall you using Roys successes in single games to justify how right he was for us in the summer.

Really? You sure you don't have me confused with someone else? As far as I can remember, I didn't want Hodgson in the summer. I may have made a point about his strengths as a manager, and the job he did at Fulham, but I'm pretty sure I never tried to justify that he was the right man for us.

Or maybe I did, and I've forgotten, but it seems unlikely given that I was never really in favour of his appointment.