You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa and Xabi's relationship

Brownie

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill

It's not as if anyone in the meeting went running to the hills with that news though is it, it was hardly broadcast anywhere.

I'm sure if the club were trying to milk it they could and would have done so in a much more effective fashion, because no player, no matter who he is, barring injury, has the right to refuse to play.

The only other place where it had been printed was in The Times, which was over a month earlier than PH's post on the rattle.

And the point of the meeting was? I'll tell you what it was, it was to get a group of supporters who had made huge strides and were getting into the heart of the club on his side, by feeding them bollocks that would benefit him.

The people at that meeting should have had the balls to tell him little tittle tattle stories had fuck all to do with union issues.

Star struck comes straight to mind, and I'm fuckin fuming over this crap. And us members are told not much happened in that meeting.

Us members are told by the committee what they want us to hear, and not what we should hear.

The committee must have Peter Mandelson on board.

I tried to warn you at the time, but you wouldn't listen.

And the point of the meeting was? I'll tell you what it was, it was to get a group of supporters who had made huge strides and were getting into the heart of the club on his side, by feeding them bollocks that would benefit him.

The people at that meeting should have had the balls to tell him little tittle tattle stories had fuck all to do with union issues.

Star struck comes straight to mind, and I'm fuckin fuming over this crap. And us members are told not much happened in that meeting.

Us members are told by the committee what they want us to hear, and not what we should hear.

And you wonder why I won't join?!

It's not as if anyone in the meeting went running to the hills with that news though is it, it was hardly broadcast anywhere.

I'm sure if the club were trying to milk it they could and would have done so in a much more effective fashion, because no player, no matter who he is, barring injury, has the right to refuse to play.

The only other place where it had been printed was in The Times, which was over a month earlier than PH's post on the rattle.

That's fair comment, and Peter obviously was thinking along your lines re refusing to play.

I disagree. I think it's a bit cheeky (to put it mildly) for a manager to ease a player towards the exit and then go "oh by the way, just before I boot you out, will you cup tie yourself for the next 7 months there's a good lad".

"Do it for the fans" makes it sound a bit like emotional blackmail, but Xabi relented and played. That he should still get stick for it anyway is wrong. That Rafa should tell fans, any fans, about it is wrong.

I keep asking if Xabi found out about this but no one can answer. If it contributed anything to making a key player leave, then it's important - certainly as an indicator of what kind of petty man now virtually runs our football club.

But the Alonso business is now running round in ever decreasing circles. Anything with Alonso in the thread title I'm just fucking off now.

I mean it this time!

That's fair comment, and Peter obviously was thinking along your lines re refusing to play.

I disagree. I think it's a bit cheeky (to put it mildly) for a manager to ease a player towards the exit and then go "oh by the way, just before I boot you out, will you cup tie yourself for the next 7 months there's a good lad".

"Do it for the fans" makes it sound a bit like emotional blackmail, but Xabi relented and played. That he should still get stick for it anyway is wrong. That Rafa should tell fans, any fans, about it is wrong.

I keep asking if Xabi found out about this but no one can answer. If it contributed anything to making a key player leave, then it's important - certainly as an indicator of what kind of petty man now virtually runs our football club.

But the Alonso business is now running round in ever decreasing circles. Anything with Alonso in the thread title I'm just fucking off now.

I mean it this time!

Cheeky. FFS get a grip. We were paying the guy millions of pounds a year. Millions. That game was worth 10+ million to us and you think it's a bit cheeky. For millions he bloody well better do what he is told.

Jesus, some people have a seriously loose grip on reality.

I wonder how Rafa apparently telling tales to suit his agenda works with some of the people here who tell tales to suit their agenda. Hypocrisy? No sir-ee bob!

Human nature is human nature

This thread is a fucking joke.

You mean the people who's personal hatred of him means they would rather kick him out without a replacement, partly due to the fact that he lets personal feelings get in the way of his dealings?

Like I say, amateurs.

You mean the people who's personal hatred of him means they would rather kick him out without a replacement, partly due to the fact that he lets personal feelings get in the way of his dealings?

Kind of.

To be more precise. I mean the people saying Rafa is a prick for telling a story about Xabi in a meeting, while the very same people spend their days telling stories about Rafa. The same people that seem to believe that a 4 hour meeting must be all anti-Liverpool football club and anti player information, and that the 4 hours couldn’t possibly be spent just having a decent conversation. People who only ever see the bad in everyone and everything. Every event is clearly done to destabilise the club and cause division in their eyes, when, in fact, they are the biggest exponents of the division. People who say the fans aren't interested in the massive issue of the owners, yet spend their time dividing everyone’s views by accusing the manager of the slightest little thing and blow it up like he's trying to bring the whole club down. People who see a perfectly normal thing (like Rafa questioning awful results by the academy team for example) as some sort of an attack on people, when it is just the manager of the club doing his job.

Xabi left. He’s gone.

I find it interesting that people are getting slaughtered for suggesting that Xabi may have gone for the money, despite Xabi himself being one of the very few pros to come out and say that players will leave England due to the tax’s they have to pay. People are doing their level best to ignore this when they talk about poor, down trodden, Xabi.

People ignore the fact Xabi was available for £15m last year but not one club was willing to meet that price. People refuse to accept that Xabi had 2 average seasons that saw him play with the best midfielder in world football, yet they could only just about make the Champions League each year and were miles off a challenge for the title. But no, that’s not proof of Xabi playing poorly. Rafa was wrong to try and sell him. By the time we saw the real Xabi last season it was always going to be his last season. Does no one else get annoyed that it took a huge kick up the arse the thought from Xabi that he needed to put himself in the shop window for him to actually start playing well?

Rafa is not good at man management. I don’t think there is any doubt about that. I also think it is one of the reasons Sammy Lee was brought back to be the matey arm on the shoulder.

However, the bending over backwards and complete ignoring of so many things by the ones who want us to believe that Xabi has been hard done by, is tiresome. Some will of course say that what I am saying is tiresome, and that’s fine. Opinions and all that. But the extremes some are going to here to try and paint it like Xabi was hanging from the Mellwood doors with Rafa grabbing on his legs trying to pull him out of the club, is a joke. No matter what happened, Xabi would be a Real player now. Money and going back home are a very hard thing to ignore. His agent did a great job, and Xabi did a great job last season for us and got his move for £30m. Bet Real wish they didn’t think Xabi was worth £15m last season,

Kind of.

To be more precise. I mean the people saying Rafa is a prick for telling a story about Xabi in a meeting, while the very same people spend their days telling stories about Rafa. The same people that seem to believe that a 4 hour meeting must be all anti-Liverpool football club and anti player information, and that the 4 hours couldn’t possibly be spent just having a decent conversation. People who only ever see the bad in everyone and everything. Every event is clearly done to destabilise the club and cause division in their eyes, when, in fact, they are the biggest exponents of the division. People who say the fans aren't interested in the massive issue of the owners, yet spend their time dividing everyone’s views by accusing the manager of the slightest little thing and blow it up like he's trying to bring the whole club down. People who see a perfectly normal thing (like Rafa questioning awful results by the academy team for example) as some sort of an attack on people, when it is just the manager of the club doing his job.

Xabi left. He’s gone.

I find it interesting that people are getting slaughtered for suggesting that Xabi may have gone for the money, despite Xabi himself being one of the very few pros to come out and say that players will leave England due to the tax’s they have to pay. People are doing their level best to ignore this when they talk about poor, down trodden, Xabi.

People ignore the fact Xabi was available for £15m last year but not one club was willing to meet that price. People refuse to accept that Xabi had 2 average seasons that saw him play with the best midfielder in world football, yet they could only just about make the Champions League each year and were miles off a challenge for the title. But no, that’s not proof of Xabi playing poorly. Rafa was wrong to try and sell him. By the time we saw the real Xabi last season it was always going to be his last season. Does no one else get annoyed that it took a huge kick up the arse the thought from Xabi that he needed to put himself in the shop window for him to actually start playing well?

Rafa is not good at man management. I don’t think there is any doubt about that. I also think it is one of the reasons Sammy Lee was brought back to be the matey arm on the shoulder.

However, the bending over backwards and complete ignoring of so many things by the ones who want us to believe that Xabi has been hard done by, is tiresome. Some will of course say that what I am saying is tiresome, and that’s fine. Opinions and all that. But the extremes some are going to here to try and paint it like Xabi was hanging from the Mellwood doors with Rafa grabbing on his legs trying to pull him out of the club, is a joke. No matter what happened, Xabi would be a Real player now. Money and going back home are a very hard thing to ignore. His agent did a great job, and Xabi did a great job last season for us and got his move for £30m. Bet Real wish they didn’t think Xabi was worth £15m last season,

Very good post.

It'll be largely ignored.

Kind of.

Xabi left. He’s gone.

Very true and a very good post. I'm far from being his biggest fan, but can people who accuse others of chatting bollocks cos they'll find ways to excuse everything Rafa really not say their talking just as much shit for critising every little thing he does?

Did he do that against Sunderland when he left Alonso on the bench, in favour of Plessis?

Our survey says...

I'm glad you disagree with me, it reinforces my opinion.

Is that the best you response you can come up with.

Lame.

This thread stinks of a 'oh woe is me, I was called a cunt' boo fucking hoo. I was called a xabi hating prick for actually understanding that XABI HAS MOVED ON AND I AM GROWN UP ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND THAT IT WAS THE BEST THING FOR ALL PARTIES INVOLVED AND BECAUSE I DON'T LOOK FOR STICKS TO BEAT THE MANAGER WITH. BUT IF I SHOUT IT ENOUGH THEN I WILL CONVINCE MYSELF AND ALL THE MEMBERS OF MY CLICK THAT I AM RIGHT TO KEEP BANGING THE SAME FUCKING BORING DRUM BEAT OVER, AND OVER, AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Thants was spot on it is like Loose Women on here, the thing is they are more fucking tolerable.

Kind of.

Xabi left. He’s gone.

Ah the old line about Xabi being average for two years. He was playing alongside the best midfielder in world football. This would be the same best midfielder who was largely average himself in one of those said two years you accuse Xabi of being average for in 06-07 and got a strop on because Rafa asked him to play on the right were he had been largely devastating from in 05-06.

You could possibly be right and Xabi may have left anyway who knows but there would have been more of a chance of him staying if Rafa hadn't have openly touted him around in the summer of 08. Funny how people are rounding on Riera on here now for the exact same reasons you said Xabi wanted to leave.

The academy which produced two successive Youth Cup winning sides do you mean and produced so many good players for? Yet you accuse others of having an agenda. Nice work.

Ah the old line about Xabi being average for two years. He was playing alongside the best midfielder in world football. This would be the same best midfielder who was largely average himself in one of those said two years you accuse Xabi of being average for in 06-07 and got a strop on because Rafa asked him to play on the right were he had been largely devastating from in 05-06.

Why was Xabi not worth £15m the season before and was worth £30m now? Yes, Real were spending stuipd money, but I am really lost how anyone can say Xabi was not a good bit below his usual levels for those 2 years. Xabi himself said that he had 2 really good seasons as a Liverpool player; clearly confirming he had 2 poor ones also.

You could possibly be right and Xabi may have left anyway who knows but there would have been more of a chance of him staying if Rafa hadn't have openly touted him around in the summer of 08. Funny how people are rounding on Riera on here now for the exact same reasons you said Xabi wanted to leave.

I can't speak for others, but I've not commented once on Riera this season. Not once.

The academy which produced two successive Youth Cup winning sides do you mean and produced so many good players for? Yet you accuse others of having an agenda. Nice work.

I'm not sure why you are referring to the academy and accusing me of an agenda? All I am saying is that some people were saying Rafa was a disgrace for pulling in the Academy management and chastising them for poor performances. I was saying that people have lost site of reason so much in their hatred for Rafa that they were having a go at him for doing the exact thing a Manager at the club should be doing. I wasn't having a go at the Academy at all.