You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa and Xabi's relationship

Brownie

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Didn't St John hate Shanks when St John was leaving?

Shankly completely ignored him and he was known as that Bastard.

Aye but anything that happened back in the olden days is okay now, as long as it worked out in the end.

But he was Xabi's replacement! I agree about your general point though.

If we agree on the general point, then you must see that the argument is missing the point.

lets go over it all again, we were sold to enable us to

a) Purchase players at the top level, to assist in us pushing for the title and to win trophies

b) Build a new stadium to enable us to increase our revenue to assist in a)

All roads lead to increased finances required to enable us to compete and I dont mean a one season wonder, i mean compete week in week out, year in year out. We all agreed, to a man (well maybe Tom still thought we didnt need to move from Anfield but hey, thats Tom)

Therefore, that we found ourselves in a position last summer, where we needed to move on one of the star players, in order to purchase another was all the proof we needed the sale had failed (if we needed any more after Klinsman and the stadium debacle). Barry should have been coming in to compete WITH Xabi and Masch, not replace either of them.

As I said in my first post, there are issues from last summer on, about how the situation was handled, Rafas responsibility to the team and getting the best out of his players and keeping the best etc etc but whoever is in charge of LFC, they will find themselves snookered as we can't afford to run a squad to the level required.

Didn't St John hate Shanks when St John was leaving?

Shankly completely ignored him and he was known as that Bastard.

Roger Hunt wasn't best pleased when he was dumped out either.

Being ruthless is a big part of being successful as a manager.

Rush is a different argument but Shanks was very close to his star players, he used to man manage and motivate these players, theres a great bit in Keegan's book which I posted here before.

You cant man manage players if your distant with them[/quote

You mentioned rush i told you you where wrong want to move the goal posts again!

never close to his injured players and hunt was a star player he wasnt close to or peter thompson, or any other injured players, and to add to the comparisons for every degen i give you alan evans,

Shanks is a total legend to me just trying to show that people forget how ruthless and professional he was club first, just the same as Rafa is, except now he does it in a far bigger media glare and everybody second guessing his motives!

If we had forums then, shanks would have been gone after the watford game!

Being ruthless and being plain stupid is two different things.

remember you make your decisions about these things in hindsight, Rafa doesnt have that luxury, where you howling in that game when he pulled Stevie against the bitters and put Lucas on, and then turned the game on its head!

But, but, but its relevant to the ongoing debate don't ya know.

If a respected journalist writes an article on the same subject tomorrow, should we just ignore it then because TLW has already debated this issue? What's the reason for you wanting this debate to totally fizzle out?

Indeed, what's wrong with debating it anyway? The thread title makes it clear what the subject is, so if you're sick and tired of the subject, why open the thread? It doesn't make any sense.

SpeedyG posted on the previous page about how relevant this article from Tony Barrett is because of his standing within the LFC media coummunity, for instance.

If we agree on the general point, then you must see that the argument is missing the point.

lets go over it all again, we were sold to enable us to

a) Purchase players at the top level, to assist in us pushing for the title and to win trophies

b) Build a new stadium to enable us to increase our revenue to assist in a)

All roads lead to increased finances required to enable us to compete and I dont mean a one season wonder, i mean compete week in week out, year in year out. We all agreed, to a man (well maybe Tom still thought we didnt need to move from Anfield but hey, thats Tom)

Therefore, that we found ourselves in a position last summer, where we needed to move on one of the star players, in order to purchase another was all the proof we needed the sale had failed (if we needed any more after Klinsman and the stadium debacle). Barry should have been coming in to compete WITH Xabi and Masch, not replace either of them.

As I said in my first post, there are issues from last summer on, about how the situation was handled, Rafas responsibility to the team and getting the best out of his players and keeping the best etc etc but whoever is in charge of LFC, they will find themselves snookered as we can't afford to run a squad to the level required.

Well that's where we disagree then because I believe we would have been replacing our star player with an inferior one.

Barry was never being bought to compliment Alonso and Mascherano so i'm surprised that you seem to believe that?