You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Going Out, Getting Older Question.

Section_31

I do like a pub where old men get 'irked' if someone's sitting in their regular seat, it proves the pub is lived in rather than some souless 'have you got a table number?' style bollocks.

The art of good barwork has declined rapidly over the last few years though I must admit, due to the McDonaldsization of the industry, but that's a different thread.

I do like a pub where old men get 'irked' if someone's sitting in their regular seat, it proves the pub is lived in rather than some souless 'have you got a table number?' style bollocks.

The art of good barwork has declined rapidly over the last few years though I must admit, due to the McDonaldsization of the industry, but that's a different thread.

That is the type of bar I work and drink in.

That is the type of bar I work and drink in.

Best type.

I used to work in one like that, on a Monday (way back when) you could get Guiness, bitter, Mild or bottled beers for 99p, but they'd still hand the cash over like they were doing you a favour, and if you were lucky they'd let you keep the penny.

It was funny as fuck though becasue they'd wait for you if they thought you were the only one who could pull a decent cask ale "No thanks love, I'm waiting for the lad!" haha

One guy used to say 'pannama' all the time, took me ages to figure out he wanted a pint of mild.

Another one (who we called boring Brian) used to sit at the end of the bar drinking cider, and everyday he'd introduce you to his son by saying 'this is me eldest', however, his eldest was someone different nearly everyday, sometimes they were black or asian.

Old pissheads are ace.

• Upvote 2

Good incident in the boozer I watch the match at when old Tommy, Navy veteran aged about 70 offered to take a young lad outside for taking his seat whilst he'd been shuffling to and from the bogs. We call it "Chairgate" and laugh about it heartilly

Best type.

I used to work in one like that, on a Monday (way back when) you could get Guiness, bitter, Mild or bottled beers for 99p, but they'd still hand the cash over like they were doing you a favour, and if you were lucky they'd let you keep the penny.

It was funny as fuck though becasue they'd wait for you if they thought you were the only one who could pull a decent cask ale "No thanks love, I'm waiting for the lad!" haha

One guy used to say 'pannama' all the time, took me ages to figure out he wanted a pint of mild.

Another one (who we called boring Brian) used to sit at the end of the bar drinking cider, and everyday he'd introduce you to his son by saying 'this is me eldest', however, his eldest was someone different nearly everyday, sometimes they were black or asian.

Old pissheads are ace.

There is an OAP apartments around the corner and these guys come in every morning. They have all being working over seas and are retired now so have fuck all to do but drink. One guy is a Vietnam vet and is the biggest racist you will ever meet.

I feel the same as you and I am only 21.

I used to love partying a few years back, absolutely love it. Getting pissed, doing mad things with the mates, getting off with random girls (mostly ugly, 99.9% ugly in fairness).

At 17/18 all that stuff is new to you, a real sense of freedom but after a while it becomes boring. No matter what you do, you will always reach a point of boredom when the freshness of it goes.

The places remain the same, you don't. Times change and people change mate. Just go with the flow because nothings ever the same again.

Fucking hell thats me that.

I'm 21 too and I feel like I've been there and done it all already. I whacked the whole piss up on the pull lifestyle from 16-20 and it's like I've already peaked. With 4 lads holidays under my belt too I feel like I'm on the way down in terms of enjoyment. It's fucked.

Good, if depressing thread Section. Your right though life just keeps going and you just have to roll with it.

Good, if depressing thread Section. Your right though life just keeps going and you just have to roll with it.

Tis better to have clubbed and lost than never to have clubbed at all.

My mate split up with his bird of seven years recently and he's never had a lads' holiday and only a very few top quality piss ups under his belt, now he's 28 and he won't be able to recapture that. He's missed a whole phase of his life, that'd be a fucking nightmare that.

Similar thing happened with another mate but he was only 24 when we had our second golden age, up until then he'd never eaten a kebab in wetherspoons' doorway at 2am while watching birds fighting over a taxi, nor had he ever been pushed at full speed through a carpark in a trolly. I rescued him just in time.

Tis better to have clubbed and lost than never to have clubbed at all.

My mate split up with his bird of seven years recently and he's never had a lads' holiday and only a very few top quality piss ups under his belt, now he's 28 and he won't be able to recapture that. He's missed a whole phase of his life, that'd be a fucking nightmare that.

Similar thing happened with another mate but he was only 24 when we had our second golden age, up until then he'd never eaten a kebab in wetherspoons' doorway at 2am while watching birds fighting over a taxi, nor had he ever been pushed at full speed through a carpark in a trolly. I rescued him just in time.

Exactly. I'm 25 I have a close group of mates and luckily they get on well with the missus so as Im sort of settling down we still do all the same stuff like go out at weekends and festivals and trips like our inter-rail but I have one mate who's just got engaged who hardly ever comes out and never comes anywhere and when we are all old and grey and look back, he'll realise he missed out on a hell of a lot.

• Upvote 1

Afraid not, Noos my man. I am talking about clubs where they play tunes I can launch my moves to. I'm a sucker for a quality night in the local with some good conversation but I still enjoy going out if it's to the right places, places like South or The Venue in Manchester in particular. To be fair I am way keener to get an early dart to secure a taxi and some grub than I used to be but that's just experience and common sense.

Aye South ain't bad at all, been there a couple of times...

Guest The Chimp

I'm not a big fan of busy places and queing up to get in to a place or to get served is not going to happen. As such it's afternoon drinking for me. Sat in the sun, taking my time, watching the world go by - nice and relaxed. No waiting at the bar, or having to shout to be heard. I usually trundle off quite happily about eight o'clock.

Another thing I've noticed is that over here - and this is probably due to the fact that the weather is decent more than anything else - everyone who is a bit older seems to not go out anyway. There's a thing called "bring a plate" where everyone will turn up at someone's home with a plate of whatever (meat, fish, salad, nibbles, cakes etc). The guests put all the food on the table, whilst the host barbeques whatever needs cooking. Everyone then proceeds to chat, eat and have a few drinks. I'd never heard of this before, as if someone came to ours back in Liverpool we'd put all the food on. It's a good idea though as it means you can always have a bit of a party without it costing you a fortune. Very communal as well, which I also like.

When you go out on the piss to clubs etc when you're younger, and on lads' holidays, you enjoy them and think it's the way to live.

Then when you get a bit older, at least 'some' of that enjoyment goes, and the prospect of being stuck in a club or going to Magaluf will often be greeted with all the enthusiasm of a man about to enter a bull ring armed only with a feather duster.

So my question is thus - were such places ALWAYS shit, and you just weren't mature enough to realise it?

Or, are they no longer fun because you're not young enough to truly fit in?

Speaking personally, I used to go out about four nights a week in my uni days, now though, I often find that around about 11pm, thoughts turn to the kebab shop menu and bed.

You sound positively young compared to me: I was a complete night owl at college and went clubbing a minimum of four nights a week. However, babies, responsibilities and age mean I now turn into a pumpkin by ten. Even the baby-sitter takes the piss when we go out at 7 and are back home before ten. Bed is just such a nice place. If I want a clubbing experience I just turn the sound up on the radio on the way to work.

You sound positively young compared to me: I was a complete night owl at college and went clubbing a minimum of four nights a week. However, babies, responsibilities and age mean I now turn into a pumpkin by ten. Even the baby-sitter takes the piss when we go out at 7 and are back home before ten. Bed is just such a nice place. If I want a clubbing experience I just turn the sound up on the radio on the way to work.

Bolded line is brilliant.

My going out experience hasn't really changed from when I was 18, as I still do pretty much the same things (and I'm 25). I used to go out a lot more back then though, every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, as well as a few times during the week. Now I'm lucky if I go out once a week.

I still do the same things when I'm out as I did when I was 18 though. Still got the same close group of mates, still got the same local, still go watching the f******* together, still go to gigs. I never really got into the lads holiday culture, we tend to go abroad for f******* and long weekends as opposed to 2 weeks in Malia or wherever.

I do make a concious effort to enjoy my nights out more now as they don't happen as often as they used to.