You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I saw Brown at Brixton when he played Roses songs for the first time as a solo act, because Squire had recently done the same, and it was obvious from the first song he was being Autotuned live.

Seen him live loads of times before and his voice has been like hearing someone screaming into a bucket played through an amp with loads of reverb. Maybe only Ryder I've heard sounding worse live.

It's just funny when it's Brown though. I always considered his appeal far more about being a great frontman than a singer.

I saw Brown at Brixton when he played Roses songs for the first time as a solo act, because Squire had recently done the same, and it was obvious from the first song he was being Autotuned live.

Seen him live loads of times before and his voice has been like hearing someone screaming into a bucket played through an amp with loads of reverb. Maybe only Ryder I've heard sounding worse live.

It's just funny when it's Brown though. I always considered his appeal far more about being a great frontman than a singer.

I was at a gig when Brown started playing Waterfall, got to the first vocals part, stopped and starting going "The Stone Roses is over", everyone was booing and that.  It was in response to Squire playing the songs.  I was at a gig when Squire played those songs too (fucking loads of them) despite having two solo albums by then (Time Changes Everything is pretty good as it happens and is worth a listen)

Negged for the Radiohead comment Stig. Poor form dude.

So is slagging Oasis off.

I tried to listen to Radioheads last album but it was just fucking boring. Dross shite. Depressive hipster gear if you like.

• Upvote 4

So is slagging Oasis off.

I tried to listen to Radioheads last album but it was just fucking boring. Dross shite. Depressive hipster gear if you like.

I'm an Oasis fan, first 2 albums, and the last 2 are enjoyable. Some muck in between. But in terms of musical talent Noel Gallagher is just stuck in a beatles rip off loop. He's never had an original idea in his life. Still I've had some of my best days at Oasis gigs and playing their tunes on guitar in pubs while I was in college.

Appreciate people not getting Radiohead. Their biggest fans are those who have followed them from album to album and grown up with them as they've grown musically. If people liked creep, high and dry etc. Then listened to their latest album without the albums in between, then they'd be lost. Totally lost. Ëach album is a progression from the previous. There's nothing hipster or pretentious about that. Radiohead are constantly in flux. Some bands are happy to play the same 3 chords.

• Upvote 1

Back onto this new Stone Roses song.

I latched onto the Stone Roses when all we had was Elephant Stone on vinyl.  Sally Cinnamon was hard to find, and almost a thing of legend.  I saw them at St Helens Citadel, Legends in Warrington and in that little hall in Widnes.  This is in the days before you could get a tweet to your phone telling you what bands were having for breakfast.  We had to scan through the gig guide in the NME to find where they were playing.  I bought the album on the day it was released (it had been delayed for weeks because Silvertone made a mess of the distribution).  I didn't go to Blackpool because by then they weren't our secret any more.  I went to Spike Island, but I was dragged there, and I hated it.

I loved them because they were the most exciting band in the world.  They were doing everything better than everyone else was doing it.  If you step back from this song, you'll find there's about 20 songs released this very week that are better, made by bands who are more exciting.

I admit I went to watch them a couple of years ago, just out of curiosity.  It was a "no" from me.  I saw The Pixies a few years ago, too, and conversely it was as fresh as the day it was made. 

I will always love the Stone Roses for making 1988/89 absolutely brilliant.

• Upvote 2

Razor knows. They used to be magical. It was lost somewhere in the years making Second Coming.

The first album is quite possibly my most played album ever. I played Second Coming all the way through once when it came out and once before seeing them in Amsterdam years later. Never been as disappointed by music.

I also saw the Pixies when they reformed and they were indeed boss. Didn't bother with the later album though.

The Stooges are the best band of all time and their two comeback albums years later are fucking shite.

• Upvote 1

The Pixies were always great live, though. Same couldn't be said for the Roses. Even the sound in the official live film from their heyday (was it Blackpool?) is ropy enough, mainly due to the vocals.

Saw the Pixies in a big outdoor venue during the reunion tour. As great as they were, the highlight of the night was being halfway down the road and almost out of earshot before the Red Hot Chilli Peppers began spewing out their aural diarrhoea.

What goes Boom, Blue eyed Hexe and Indie Cindy sound like classic Pixies and the same knobs over at Pitchfork slagging their new stuff off would be creaming themselves over those songs if they were on Surfer Rosa or Trompe le Monde. 

I'm an Oasis fan, first 2 albums, and the last 2 are enjoyable. Some muck in between. But in terms of musical talent Noel Gallagher is just stuck in a beatles rip off loop. He's never had an original idea in his life. Still I've had some of my best days at Oasis gigs and playing their tunes on guitar in pubs while I was in college.

Appreciate people not getting Radiohead. Their biggest fans are those who have followed them from album to album and grown up with them as they've grown musically. If people liked creep, high and dry etc. Then listened to their latest album without the albums in between, then they'd be lost. Totally lost. Ëach album is a progression from the previous. There's nothing hipster or pretentious about that. Radiohead are constantly in flux. Some bands are happy to play the same 3 chords.

Utter shite. Noel's had no original ideas? If you are an Oasis fan then you will have listened to everything by them. Even the most obscure Oasis b-sides are better than anything thats been produced in this country since the beatles with the exception of the verve, kasabian and cast. They are all still miles behind but have better songs that magic pie. I think.

Utter shite. Noel's had no original ideas? If you are an Oasis fan then you will have listened to everything by them. Even the most obscure Oasis b-sides are better than anything thats been produced in this country since the beatles with the exception of the verve, kasabian and cast. They are all still miles behind but have better songs that magic pie. I think.

Your musical taste is totally fucked mate.