You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

They're brave boys putting this out, I don't ever think I've seen such a negative reaction to a single song before, people love to go online & point out that everything is shit, don't they?

I've not really had the chance to listen to it properly so I'm not going to go mental either way about it, it's only a song & it's by a bunch of 50 somethings who had their heyday 27 years ago, I'm not sure what people were expecting to be honest. My initial reaction is that the lyrics are awful but I don't tend to get too hung up on lyrics so I'll get over that & Squire's solo sounds brilliant, I'm a bit shocked they've gone for a number played in swing, other than the intro to Ten Storey Love Song, I don't think they've ever played that before & it's never going to bring the best out in Reni & Mani, it seems to me that they've gone for a catchy anthem, which will work well for these stadium gigs they've got lined up I suppose. The apparent lack of a b-side is a concern (or maybe not depending on your thoughts on All for One), maybe they've written this single as something new to play at their forthcoming gigs, will pocket the money & then fuck off into the sunset.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, get your points Mook but personally, even though I love some of their stuff, I really couldn't give a shit about this song - it's just a bit meh.  The bucket-hatted mongs will think it's great but to my ears it sounds like mid 90s indie guitar fodder.

• Upvote 1

Hmm, get your points Mook but personally, even though I love some of their stuff, I really couldn't give a shit about this song - it's just a bit meh.  The bucket-hatted mongs will think it's great but to my ears it sounds like mid 90s indie guitar fodder.

What were you expecting, out of curiosity?

• Upvote 1

What were you expecting, out of curiosity?

Wasn't really expecting anything to be honest.    I wasn't expecting it to be a brilliant piece of music.  I best I thought they'd rip themselves off (i.e. do some jingly jangly stuff) rather than some Dodgy-esque jaunty singalong.

Still nice nick of the riff from Squire though:

• Upvote 1

Hilarious reasons for not liking the song.

Its sounds too much like them will be next.

As for Oasis, they clearly are the best band to come out of Manchester. Record sales and acclaim do not lie. Fucking pretenders.

At the end of the day they've produced a decent three minute pop song, agree with Stig*

*Except for the bit about Oasis. Simply Red sold a lot of records, they're from Manchester and are absolute guff.   

• Upvote 1

If Oasis had split after Knebworth (or, at a push, after D'You know what I mean but before Be Here Now) then I think people would view their legacy more positively. That said, I really do think that All for One is just about as bad as anything Oasis put out between 1997-2008.

Hilarious reasons for not liking the song.

Its sounds too much like them will be next.

As for Oasis, they clearly are the best band to come out of Manchester. Record sales and acclaim do not lie. Fucking pretenders.

Ergo, Take That are better than Oasis.

Record sales and acclaim do not lie.

I should add, doesn't this work both ways? So when the vast majority of people say something isn't very good, doesn't it generally means just that, that's it's not very good?

None of the bands mentioned have made an album as good as Definately maybe. The stone roses comes very close granted.

Except Bizzare inc.

The Fall have made at least 10 better albums. Oasis have never had their riffs stolen by The Stone Roses either.

The rep was by mistake as I was a clumsy get.

• Upvote 1

I wouldn't call it terrible, just a bit underwhelming. They just played it on 6 Music and it didn't have me reaching for the dial or anything, they played the new SFA track immediately beforehand, now that's a blinder.

Bing Bong is indeed much better. The lyrics are a vast improvement.

None of the bands mentioned have made an album as good as Definately maybe. The stone roses comes very close granted.

Except Bizzare inc.

I went through about three cassette singles of Playing with Knives by Bizarre Inc. I can't even remember what it sounded like now but I fucking loved it when I was a kid.

That, along with Stakker Humanoid & Anthem by N Joi were the go-to Friday night tunes in the early 90s at the under 18s rave I used to go to.

• Upvote 1

Except Bizzare inc.

Meat is Murder, Unknown Pleasures and The Stone Roses are all better than Definitely Maybe. 

Unlikely that Definitely maybe would even have been made without those three bands existing. 

• Upvote 1

Meat is Murder, Unknown Pleasures and The Stone Roses are all better than Definitely Maybe.

Unlikely that Definitely maybe would even have been made without those three bands existing.

They aren't and I'm sure neither of the albums you mentioned would have been made without some other influence.